JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cam over? When the shell holder makes contact with the bottom of the die there is no more movement. I will have to study more about the "cam over" and why it is beneficial. I cannot see any reason for it. As mentioned, once contact is made, there is no more....

As for "cam over".

"Up to You"

As for ME.....start watching at 4:00.

Aloha, Mark

I was in the same boat as the OP; been loading pistol rounds for a few years then started on .308 a few months ago.

But, I started with new Winchester and PPU brass and didn't have any issues. I also use One Shot. I've also been known to slather up a case in CLP and run it through and it lubes the die up pretty good for the next few cases.

The biggest thing that I discovered is that case capacity varied quite a bit with .308 and loading up one brand of brass to max levels was fine, but then another brand with the same amount of powder resulted in compressed loads that could drastically change things.

So, I don't mix headstamps for rifle loads.

Lube recommendations? Is the "home made" lanolin and rubbing alcohol really "that good"? Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't come in a paste and needs to be applied to each individual shell (like Imperial Sizing Wax).

I stopped using one shot as it gums up my polishing stainless steel chips over time.

I only use homemade I mix my own lube (PEG-75 Lanolin and 99% Alchohol in a 1:10 mix) and use a large spray bottle. A couple of short blasts into a dedicated plastic "Lube Bin", snap on the lid, and shake it for a bit. Pop the lid off and let it vent, dries in seconds and perfectly, and evenly lubed brass.

The "lube bin" is marked as that and where all brass goes to get a lube job before case processing. :D

I lube all brass, rifle, and pistol regardless of dies being used.

As for the LC cases.

OK, I use to buy 1x fired 7.62 x51 mm NATO brass from the recycle place. They probably got it from the base. Back then, M60s were what most of the ammo was shot out of.

Anyway, the brass was difficult to re-size. I believe that the M60's chambers were "generous." Hey, it's a machine gun.

FF today.....the surplus LC brass is probably coming from a M240.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....LC is usually thicker/heavier vs. commercial brass. So, it's usually also harder to resize.
And also has less internal volume I found.

Some presses are designed to go over center, with the linkage topping out the ram, and then going slightly past. This means that you have to pull it back to top on your way back down. The engineering principle? Who knows? Maybe a second bump to the sizer, maybe something else. You can both see and feel this if you watch the linkage instead of the case as you size.

You will not notice this by feel if you load with carbide dies and maintain clearance between shell holder and carbide ring when the ram is up. Contact between the shell holder and the carbide insert can fracture the carbide, which is oh so smooth, oh so hard and oh so brittle.

Keep over-center (RCBS and others) linkages lubed up! Those pins undergo an extreme sheering force when the linkage goes over center. Unless you maintain those linkages, they will develop some slack.

Other presses are designed to go to the top and stop. The Lee Classic Cast in one such. And, as mentioned, you can tailor the sizing to your rifle, within limitations. 10X shooters who full-length resize will sometimes back the sizer out until the case is just snug in the chamber. Since the chamber is tapered, there is also some self-centering action and the bullet is more likely to be held concentric to the bore.

All of this is in that boring first section of reloading manuals - which no one ever reads... until a problem crops up.

I use one shot case lube but only spray about 5 cases at a time. You will notice that one shot "runs" after you spray it. Also has a low flash point so it will evaporate pretty fast. I would figure that by the time you got to 99 or 100 it was gone and you were sizing a dry case.

Never thought of the plastic bag Idea, That might work because it won't evaporate.

Read instructions much :D? One Shot is a DRY lube, guys, you're supposed to let it dry for a minute or two before sizing your cases. I fill a loading block with clean cases, hold the can at a 45 degree angle so some of the lube gets in the case mouth, and give them a fairly generous shot from all 4 sides of the block. Let it dry for a couple of minutes, then start resizing. It's worked well for me, even when left for a day or two before sizing. Even though the instructions say it isn't necessary, I give them a quick run in corn cob media to remove any lube before priming and adding powder. I give pistol brass a light coat even with carbide dies, makes things run much smoother and with noticeably less force required. Later.

Dave

Read instructions much :D? One Shot is a DRY lube, guys, you're supposed to let it dry for a minute or two before sizing your cases. I fill a loading block with clean cases, hold the can at a 45 degree angle so some of the lube gets in the case mouth, and give them a fairly generous shot from all 4 sides of the block. Let it dry for a couple of minutes, then start resizing. It's worked well for me, even when left for a day or two before sizing. Even though the instructions say it isn't necessary, I give them a quick run in corn cob media to remove any lube before priming and adding powder. I give pistol brass a light coat even with carbide dies, makes things run much smoother and with noticeably less force required. Later.

Dave
We're guys. We don't need no damned instructions! :D

As a test, I loaded my brass without cleaning the lube off. Let them sit for 2 months then took them to the
range. Every one of them fired, it does not affect powder or primer. I just don't like it all over my fingers.

Ok so what is this home brew recipe

It is lanolin oil and ISO alcohol (the higher the percentage the better.) IE: 99% alcohol. I was shopping around last night and could only find 91% so I'm gonna try that.

Or, they say that fuel treatment "HEET" (in a red bottle) can be used in place of the alcohol.

Mixed at 10:1

Google or YouTube search "case lube recipe".

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads