JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is up, everybody?

So, I "pulled the trigger" and signed up for my first shooting match.
Going to the Practical Pistol at DDRC on April 1st.
Any advice is welcome as I have zero experience with competitive shooting.
What to take? How many rounds? What to expect?

Attached is the picture of the gun I pretend to use.

5F940AC9-5C11-4EC8-B95D-4464B0C53F89.jpeg

You'll have a blast. Go slow and focus on following the rules, safety stuff, etc. For me that was the most important area to focus on when I got started. Don't get DQ'd trying to do too much. Let us know how it goes.

Not sure if they have a website, but some orgs do and have the stage descriptions, which will say how many rounds in a general way, cuz you might shoot extra rounds to make up for total misses. Otherwise, I don't recommend firing extra shots to improve your score... too much time added to your score.

Another option might be to call the match director and ask.

When I used to shoot USPSA, 200 rds was common. But in our local IDPA, 120rds is common. That said, all clubs/orgs and individual matches have diff counts. For instance, local USPSA here was 5-7 stages, but I've been to matches in bigger cities that had 11 stages or more.

Have fun.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

And never never never break the 180rule! That is a match DQ. Finger off the trigger until you are ready to take the shot... no movement between stages with your buggerhook in the trigger guard! No NDs, unintentional discharge.

Otherwise, the 'Four rules of safety" take precedence, always.

-bb

I'll be there if you need any help-good advice from everyone- make sure your holster is solid outside waist 200 rounds should get you through but 300 just in case;-)-it's a great first match not quite as uptight as some usspa-

I've seen new competitors not understand the rules about firearms and ammunition not being together until you're in the shooting box. You can reload magazines at any table, but don't have your gun out at the same time. If you have to do something with your gun, there are safety areas set up just for that. No ammo at the safety area.

Ask questions. Most people there will be happy to help you out. Remember that this is a participatory sport. Everyone helps with taping targets and resetting steel.

After you've watched others shoot a stage, you should be able to come up with a good plan of your own. However, for many of us, the preplanning is forgotten the secend the buzzer goes off! :D

Lots of good advice above. Here's mine.

Although it seems a little counter-intuitive, let everyone know at every opportunity that this is your first match. Especially the range officers (RO's) at each stage. It will be appreciated on a level that you will better understand later. You will receive a LOT of attention and help, and positive reinforcement.

Your goal for the day should be to not break any range rules. That's it. You will see real quickly how good and fast some of the competitors are. There is no shame in NOT being like them at your first match. Take your time and watch the front sight. You will earn the respect of the other shooters and make friends real fast if you shoot slow and hit the target with every shot.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something. But don't ask or be too chatty with the people who are next to shoot or "in the hole" to shoot after them.

Consider shooting from low ready, instead of drawing from a holster. This will probably remove you from the official scoring and match placement but it also removes one of the most difficult and potentially dangerous parts of action shooting. There will be plenty of time to learn and practice your draw.

Things to bring that may not be so obvious:
Hearing protection with voice amplification. You are especially going to need this as you get started.
Water! Hydration is super important.
Wet wipes. You will get dirty picking up brass, taping, or setting up targets
Comfortable shoes
If you are going to bring a big range bag and a ton of ammo, consider bringing a cart or wagon if you have to park far from the bays
A friendly attitude and willingness to serve. Can't stress how much difference that can make.

I hope you have a fabulous experience and get sucked into the rabbit hole of friendly competition!

Last Edited:
Bring as many mags as you have. I've competed with just 2 and it sucks.

Bring a mag loader to save your thumbs.

Engrave or mark your mags so that they are identifiable. If you run into issues, toss that one into the bag and fix it later.

Bring a tool kit with everything you need to strip your gun and get it working again should you have a problem. You likely won't but always have a backup plan you know?

Double check your holster retention the day before and tighten up if necessary.

Don't rush, but move quickly and steadily. Don't rush your shooting. Plan out your stage using other competitor's routes as info but don't be beholden to their plan. If you have an idea on how to do things quickly, do it.

When the stage is over - it's over. Take a second to slow down and breathe. You will have to drop mag, show all clear, and dry fire - but there is no need to do this quickly and an RSO will be there guiding you through those steps.

Good luck and have fun!

Lots of good advice above. Here's mine.

Although it seems a little counter-intuitive, let everyone know at every opportunity that this is your first match. Especially the rangemasters at each stage. It will be appreciated on a level that you will better understand later. You will receive a LOT of attention and help, and positive reinforcement.

Your goal for the day should be to not break any range rules. That's it. You will see real quickly how good and fast some of the competitors are. There is no shame in NOT being like them at your first match. Take your time and watch the front sight. You will earn the respect of the other shooters and make friends real fast if you shoot slow and hit the target with every shot.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something. But don't ask or be too chatty with the people who are next to shoot or "in the hole" to shoot after them.

Consider shooting from low ready, instead of drawing from a holster. This will probably remove you from the official scoring and match placement but it also removes one of the most difficult and potentially dangerous parts of action shooting. There will be plenty of time to learn and practice your draw.

Things to bring that may not be so obvious:
Hearing protection with voice amplification. You are especially going to need this as you get started.
Water! Hydration is super important.
Wet wipes. You will get dirty picking up brass, taping, or setting up targets
Comfortable shoes
If you are going to bring a big range bag and a ton of ammo, consider bringing a cart or wagon if you have to park far from the bays
A friendly attitude and willingness to serve. Can't stress how much difference that can make.

I hope you have a fabulous experience and get sucked into the rabbit hole of friendly competition!
I'll never be a competitor, but damn that was great!

One thing that was obvious when watching shooters move, but I didn't pick up on, until it was pointed out to me, is to rotate the pistol 90 degrees (hip hop gangster style) when on the move, as it helps keep your muzzle down range. Holster at end of stage, and wait for supervised unload command.

Be patient with yourself and don't try to compare yourself to other competitors.

Also follow the rules and don't get DQ'd.

Starting out, it's more of a competition with yourself. Also, in the moment, your time reference will slow down and you may feel like you're slowing down, but you may be rushing.

Bring as many mags as you have.
Might be hard as a new shooter... but my standard loadout for my 2011 was 3 mags in speed holders, and one in the back pocket to load up/insert at the first shooting box... wait for Safety Officer command "You may load and make ready".

A press check after loading is not a bad idea to make sure the first round loaded, then a "tap" on the mag to make sure it is seated and a tap on the rear of the slide to make sure it is in battery.

Also: I highly recommend shooting factory ammo if you can afford it. Reloads have a tendency to various failures... the worst being a squib. If one happens, you may not hear it while you are concentrating on shooting, but the SO/RO should catch it and yell "STOP". Most will also put their hands on you, and all will/should take your weapon and drop the mag and clear the chambered round that is about to impact the squib. So pay attention to all commands at all times!!! A squib rod is a good thing to have if you use reloads, and you may take your gun to the safety area to clear the squib. Never ever use reloads you did not make yourself!!! Too many unknowns.

Last Edited:
Another thing to keep in mind with regards to DQ's. If you should find yourself in that unfortunate situation, your attitude will play a big part on if you are invited back to the match. While the embarrassment can be overwhelming and the need to leave the match immediately will be high, nearly all match directors will let you finish out the match as a spectator and/or help tape targets, etc.

Keep a positive attitude and learn from the mistake(s) that got you DQ'ed and then come on back out to compete once you are all squared away with your safety.

It's always a good idea to know the general "house rules" of the club where the match is being held. As an example, USPSA has no restriction for going "muzzle high". Do that at TCGC and you will be DQ'ed on the spot by the club's RSO that oversees the action bays where the USPSA matches take place. TCGC has a "no muzzle over the berm" rule that is strictly unforced do to the close proximity to residential and commercial property.

Another example. I was shooting my 1st speed steel match a few years ago at ARPC and was squadded with the match director. I made sure to read up on the rules before the match but still got "jammed up" with a rule violation.

I had completed the 1st stage and the match director was RO'ing me. He gave me the "if you are finished, unload and show clear" which I did. Where I screwed up was after removing the mag I then fired (deliberately) the round in the chamber at one of the steel plates. Due to some rimfire firearms inability to eject a live round in the chamber, it was common practice with my squad mates at TCGC steel matches to just fire the chambered round at the berm or a steel plate when unloading and showing clear then trying to fight with getting the live round out of the chamber (very easy to go over the berm if not paying close attention, refer back to the previous example above ;)). Common courtesy would dictate that you would let the RO know your intentions before hand, but we had a core group of shooters in the squad that were extremely familiar with each other's mannerisms and tendencies, so there was no need to vocalize something like unloading the chamber via sending a round down range.

Anyway, it took the RO by surprise and he was not expecting that. I was given a stern warning and the an explanation why. He said that all shooting is done "on the clock"and since I was finished and given the "unload and show clear", the stage was over and no other shooting was allowed and that he could have DQ'ed right then and there. I apologized profusely and said it would not ever happen again. After that initial uncomfortable situation, I self corrected, the mood lightened up between the match director and myself and we went on to have a great match! That match director eventually moved on and a new director took over, but the match integrity has stayed the same. Ramiro, Calvin and their support group are all top notch! Always put on a safe and fun match! :)

Due to some rimfire firearms inability to eject a live round in the chamber...
This is a definite issue. I have a GSG MP5 that will not reliably extract an unfired round after it gets a little dirty. When it happens you either have to remove it with the pocket screwdriver you have to carry, or just fire it into the berm. When I have used that rifle in steel matches I let the RO know about it and they had no issue with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top