JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No, I did not load up my Ruger SBH with hot bear loads and film her shooting it being terrified like a lot of goobers on Youtube...

She had shot a gun before and thanks to a previous boyfriend years ago that thought a .30-06 would be funny, she was a bit hesitant.

But, she watched me at my last GSSF match and wanted to learn how to shoot a pistol. At the range, she fondled a Sig P365 and loved it.

Well, I don't have one of those, so I brought my only 9mm pistols with us to the cabin with mild match rounds.

I thought the Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS with a Burris Fastfire 3 would be a good training gun so she could get used to the recoil and grip and not worry about sight alignment so much.

I'm not an instructor and don't consider myself very good at it since I find it difficult to teach what I've been doing for 40 years.

But, I sat her down at the table and went over the two weapons (G19 and Taurus G2c) and how they worked, the controls, basic gun safety, grip, and had her dry fire a bunch before we went outside.

I had neglected to bring a large target, which would have been better, so she could see where she was hitting. But the actual range was buried in snow, so I improvised by grabbing assorted leftover beer cans out of the garbage can on the patio.

She shot the Glock first and hit dead center her first shot on a Rainier can at 10yds.

Got about 50% on the remaining four cans. Then did it again and got 4 out of 5.

She was confident and feeling good, so I brought out the Taurus. She liked the grip and the fact that it had a safety. She lined the sights up and only got one can out of five.

She remarked that the Taurus felt a lot snappier than the Glock and I explained that was due to the smaller size and gun design.

She wanted to go back to the Glock...

So, she said she really wants something with a red dot and I explained how that adds a lot of expense and bulk to a carry pistol and she really needs to focus on learning to shoot with sights better before thinking about going to a red dot.

When my folks return from Arizona, I plan to have her shoot my dad's Ruger EC9s and see if we can't rent a Sig P365, though I hear they are still shipping guns with issues, though less so.

Any suggestions on other sub-compact 9mms to have her try that would be softer shooting?

She really liked having a safety as well. Maybe a Ruger SR9c or the new Mossberg 9mm?

Shield 9mm might be good, too... Just don't know how they compare recoil-wise since I actually had a 9mm Shield but mostly carry .40 S&W for CCW, so all 9mms feel low recoil to me.

Oh, and the obligatory pics...

View attachment 547674

View attachment 547675

View attachment 547676

View attachment 547677

No, I did not load up my Ruger SBH with hot bear loads and film her shooting it being terrified like a lot of goobers on Youtube...

She had shot a gun before and thanks to a previous boyfriend years ago that thought a .30-06 would be funny, she was a bit hesitant.

But, she watched me at my last GSSF match and wanted to learn how to shoot a pistol. At the range, she fondled a Sig P365 and loved it.

Well, I don't have one of those, so I brought my only 9mm pistols with us to the cabin with mild match rounds.

I thought the Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS with a Burris Fastfire 3 would be a good training gun so she could get used to the recoil and grip and not worry about sight alignment so much.

I'm not an instructor and don't consider myself very good at it since I find it difficult to teach what I've been doing for 40 years.

But, I sat her down at the table and went over the two weapons (G19 and Taurus G2c) and how they worked, the controls, basic gun safety, grip, and had her dry fire a bunch before we went outside.

I had neglected to bring a large target, which would have been better, so she could see where she was hitting. But the actual range was buried in snow, so I improvised by grabbing assorted leftover beer cans out of the garbage can on the patio.

She shot the Glock first and hit dead center her first shot on a Rainier can at 10yds.

Got about 50% on the remaining four cans. Then did it again and got 4 out of 5.

She was confident and feeling good, so I brought out the Taurus. She liked the grip and the fact that it had a safety. She lined the sights up and only got one can out of five.

She remarked that the Taurus felt a lot snappier than the Glock and I explained that was due to the smaller size and gun design.

She wanted to go back to the Glock...

So, she said she really wants something with a red dot and I explained how that adds a lot of expense and bulk to a carry pistol and she really needs to focus on learning to shoot with sights better before thinking about going to a red dot.

When my folks return from Arizona, I plan to have her shoot my dad's Ruger EC9s and see if we can't rent a Sig P365, though I hear they are still shipping guns with issues, though less so.

Any suggestions on other sub-compact 9mms to have her try that would be softer shooting?

She really liked having a safety as well. Maybe a Ruger SR9c or the new Mossberg 9mm?

Shield 9mm might be good, too... Just don't know how they compare recoil-wise since I actually had a 9mm Shield but mostly carry .40 S&W for CCW, so all 9mms feel low recoil to me.

Oh, and the obligatory pics...

View attachment 547674

View attachment 547675

View attachment 547676

View attachment 547677
Oh man what do you have against Rainier?

Every female I have ever taken shooting has been ether afraid of guns, never seen a gun in person, or ever shot any thing before. Starting out with a Ruger MK-II for the basics of safety and the 4 rules and proper sight picture and right to a big ol 44 oz hunk of classic 'Murican Steel 1911 in nothing else but .45! They are a bit intimidated at the sight and heft, but that first round fired puts a grin on their face big as Texas and they see instant results of their aim or lack thereof! Not once did any one have a bad experience, and many have thanked me for not handing them a "Girls Gun" or some sort of hand cannon and then laugh at them!
Respect given is respect earned in return, and often times, a life time friend and shooting buddy is the result!

Oh man what do you have against Rainier?

Have you ever drunk any :confused:? Don't know if a hammer is out of the question, but maybe a CZ Compact? Steel frame, safety, pretty soft shooter for a compact 9, and CZ builds a damn nice pistol. Same size but alloy frame, the PCR. And if you/she likes polymer frames, the P-07 can be set up as either a decocker or a safety. I have 2 of the 3, they're great guns. Later.

Dave

Every female I have ever taken shooting has been ether afraid of guns, never seen a gun in person, or ever shot any thing before. Starting out with a Ruger MK-II for the basics of safety and the 4 rules and proper sight picture and right to a big ol 44 oz hunk of classic 'Murican Steel 1911 in nothing else but .45! They are a bit intimidated at the sight and heft, but that first round fired puts a grin on their face big as Texas and they see instant results of their aim or lack thereof! Not once did any one have a bad experience, and many have thanked me for not handing them a "Girls Gun" or some sort of hand cannon and then laugh at them!
Respect given is respect earned in return, and often times, a life time friend and shooting buddy is the result!
My 15 year old daughter loves my 1911 and 45-70 Marlin. She's not all that big either.

Every female I have ever taken shooting has been ether afraid of guns, never seen a gun in person, or ever shot any thing before. Starting out with a Ruger MK-II for the basics of safety and the 4 rules and proper sight picture...

I have a Ruger 10/45 Lite but the last woman I had shoot it experienced a bunch of jams for some reason. Didn't want to taint her first range session with malfunctions, so I went with the Glock and the Taurus.

Funny how the trigger on the Taurus, which I hate, was her least favorite as well. There is a "catch" during the pull that I warned her about and she totally recognized it and remarked on it. I love the Taurus for the fit and finish and awesome ergonomics, capacity, and pointability, but that stupid trigger just ruins the gun for me. I've tried to give it away and no takers, lol.

Might have to buy a couple more bargain 9mms to see how she likes them and build up my arsenal.

Looking hard at the Walther Creed for $269, Shield 9mm for $250, Beretta APX compact, or the Canik 9mm compact. Buy enough cheap 9mms and it becomes a problem, lol.

Oh, and my girlfriend is one of those people that really looks different in various pics. I looks at her range pics and think she's not all that good looking. But then in person she is gorgeous. We both have the distinction of being better looking in person and it really depends on the camera to catch our real beauty.

You would never think this is the same girl...

36735808_2032602920114334_9183797662728585216_n.jpg

Falling pretty hard for this one. Ten years younger than my ex; check. Latina; check. Conservative; check. Loves fishing; check. low drama and great family; check. Interested in guns and loves the outdoors; check.

Most importantly she put's up with my grouchy old butt and thinks I am awesome; check.

Yeah... morher in law was handed a .50cal BP revolver with a max load for her first shot... she's afraid of guns now... GOOD ON HER HUSBAND'S BROTHER! Not...

Well, all I can say is she did well and good for you two getting into shooting together.

I tell perspective gun owners to go to sportsman's and have them pass over every pistol from left to right and to hold and point each one. Find the one that fits THEN look at caliber. I always recommend 9mm. 380 is ok but 9mm is what I think the minimum really is.

Every girl I've taken to a range has outshot my with my own guns and doubled my ammo costs..

I remember back in `95 or so, I was a stupid 25 year old and wanted to teach my ex about guns. All I could afford at the time was a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W. Awful trigger, but it always went bang.

I kept pestering my new bride about guns and the importance of knowing how to use them. So one day when we were living on a rented farm in Iowa, she relented to my begging to learn how to shoot.

I took her out back and gave her a quick lesson on the fundamentals and how to aim.

She took that Sigma and fired five shots at 7yds into the size of a quarter. Handed the gun back and turned to me and asked, "is that good enough?"

I took the pistol and couldn't believe the target and just mumbled, "yeah, that's good enough..."

That was the only time, and the last time, she ever shot a gun in 20 years of marriage. I bought her a S&W 642 years later to keep in her purse and she kept it when we divorced. Still has it as far as I know.

Women are mysterious creatures and far superior to men, lol.

I have heard the 365 issues are worked out now. My wife was afraid of revolvers because she thought she would blow her thumb off. Then we inherited a 38spcl and my wife loves it, she just can't hit anything with it.

So she loves my Glock, but keeps buying cheaper guns because she goes to the store and keeps buying whatever is cheaper... And every time the pistol has sucked.

I think she's finally convinced to definitely get a Glock this time. She's wants the 43x and I'm inclined to want to get one as well. Mean while I have two full size Glock 17s for range time now.

The p365 does look nice though. Like you I wish we could rent a few of these and carry them around and use them a bit first. I've carried a full size gun for years. Just haven't made it a priority to get something more compact.

I had a shield in 40; it was narrow and felt like it would split my thumb off.
SR9C is kinda heavy.
P365 is fantastic.
I have a G43 that needs to go.put a hyve trigger bar in it. And a +2 extension on two mags not trusting those yet. I prefer other 9 better esp the Sig.

I have a Ruger 10/45 Lite but the last woman I had shoot it experienced a bunch of jams for some reason. Didn't want to taint her first range session with malfunctions, so I went with the Glock and the Taurus.

Funny how the trigger on the Taurus, which I hate, was her least favorite as well. There is a "catch" during the pull that I warned her about and she totally recognized it and remarked on it. I love the Taurus for the fit and finish and awesome ergonomics, capacity, and pointability, but that stupid trigger just ruins the gun for me. I've tried to give it away and no takers, lol.

Might have to buy a couple more bargain 9mms to see how she likes them and build up my arsenal.

Looking hard at the Walther Creed for $269, Shield 9mm for $250, Beretta APX compact, or the Canik 9mm compact. Buy enough cheap 9mms and it becomes a problem, lol.

I bought one of the Ruger Security Nine pistols a couple months back just to try it. 15 round capacity, flawless function with everything I've run through it, POA and POI are on, and has a manual safety which you mentioned she liked. Just another something to think about...

Shield is good and cheap but it's pretty snappy and the first gen trigger sucks til you replace it

I say get her a CZ PCR/P01 if she liked the G19.. or a g19 / m&p 2.0 compact

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads