JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any suggestions on other sub-compact 9mms to have her try that would be softer shooting?

If you want softer shooting why limit yourself to sub-compacts? In general they will be the least soft shooting. The only advantage of a sub-compact is concealability. They have less ammo capacity, often don't feel as good in the hand, they often have smaller sights, and they have more felt recoil in general. In general the heavier the gun the less felt recoil. If it's a matter of hand size if she likes a Glock 19 there are many full size pistols that will feel even better in her hand (*cough* 1911 *cough*). Even a Glock 17 will feel better in her hand and have a little less felt recoil.

Besides a 9mm 1911, consider other full-size 9mm metal pistols like a CZ-75 or clone like the EAA Witness, Beretta 92, or SIG P220 or P226. If you want polymer consider a full size Glock, HK VP9, Walther PPQ, or SIG P320. Any of them will feel as good in her hand as a SIG P365 or Glock 19 and will be softer shooting.

Last Edited:
If you want softer shooting why limit yourself to sub-compacts? In general they will be the least soft shooting. The only advantage of a sub-compact is concealability. They have less ammo capacity, often don't feel as good in the hand, and they have more felt recoil in general. In general the heavier the gun the less felt recoil. If it's a matter of hand size if she likes a Glock 19 there are many full size pistols that will feel even better in her hand (*cough* 1911 *cough*). Even a Glock 17 will feel better in her hand and have a little less felt recoil.

Looks to me like you're suggesting a CZ-75? Yeah, I think so. :D

Oh, and my girlfriend is one of those people that really looks different in various pics. I looks at her range pics and think she's not all that good looking. But then in person she is gorgeous. We both have the distinction of being better looking in person and it really depends on the camera to catch our real beauty.

You would never think this is the same girl...

View attachment 547723

Falling pretty hard for this one. Ten years younger than my ex; check. Latina; check. Conservative; check. Loves fishing; check. low drama and great family; check. Interested in guns and loves the outdoors; check.

Most importantly she put's up with my grouchy old butt and thinks I am awesome; check.
Better treat this one well, you won the Trifecta man! :)

Ditto the I never understand the morons handing a woman some gun that is going to scare hell out of them. All that does it turn them off shooting. Current Wife had shot a .22 rifle only when we met. First thing I did was buy another .22 pistol for her to learn with, then a little .38 to carry. Took her down and paid for the CPL. She is VERY recoil sensitive so it's been a challenge finding things she likes. One thing she loves is one of my 1911's with custom made lite loads. Use a 16# spring with them and she loves them. Always love hearing another shooter found a girl who shares his joy of shooting. ENJOY!!!

Great photos of girlfriend shooting.

I'd suggest, though, that she shift her balance. She is bending backwards to support weight and extension of gun and arms. Common in new handgun shooters, especially women. It's a better and more stable position to support your body and weight directly, with body weight slightly forward of foot position. This helps deal with recoil. In addition, it's a visually more aggressive more intimidating stance. Better in a self defense situation, where being more intimidating increases the odds that bad guy will run rather than try to take gun away from you. The backward leaning stance indicates a novice shooter, usually. Takes just a minute to learn a better stance at the beginning before bad habits are too ingrained.

Re: SR9c... I own one and love it. They come either with manual safety, or without manual safety. Mine has the manual safety... might be just my arthritic thumbs, but I find it hard to reach and activate/deactivate. Be sure to check it out for herself!!

Have her shoot the P365.

Took my wife out to shoot and of my G19, G26 & P365 she said the P365 had the lowest recoil...oddly.

Next time we went she only shot the P365...said she just liked the way it felt in her hand.

I have the much maligned 365, Ordered it in January, received it in April 2018. The stock night sights are still bright, it points and shoots well. It even is comfortable in an ankle holster for the two weeks I wasn't able to holster it on my side.

My wife was on her High School rifle shooting team.

She's a very good shot with both rifle and pistol.

On to sub-compacts...I bought a Ruger LC9S as a yard gun, because of it's light weight and small size to find the recoil unpleasantly snappy. I probably slammed 500 rounds through it and finally threw in the towel. It's not a fun gun to shoot.

It's now an end table gun replaced with a full size yard gun. To heck with light weight and small bulk...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top