JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a tourniquet everyday, it's called a belt. Do you know where and when to place it? How to mark it?
Actually, no you do not have an effective "tourniquet".

Field-expedient and hastily devised tourniquets (such as the cravat and stick, belt, cord or twine) are much less likely to be effective because it's difficult to get them tight enough. Because of narrow girth, sharp edges and difficulty in accurately controlling tightness, such makeshift tourniquets are also much more prone to compressive neuropathy and other injuries resulting from direct trauma to the underlying tissues.
See https://www.jems.com/operations/tourniquet-first/

RE : Post #6
Dried Leaves

Here is a FREE lesson and short read for you........

LOL.

Aloha, Mark
Amateurs. Electrical tape and whatever absorbent cloth is on hand. Da fuk you're going to carry duct tape on a bivvy. Maxi Pads? Sorry, Pocahontas ain't coming along.

AED is mostly effective in a defibrillation scenario, not so much otherwise.

Some folks claim to be better trained than others. They might be, they might not. Do you really know their training/qualifications? I might be well-read, but can I apply it in real life? Under the pressure of a person bleeding profusely? How do I assess them? What is their greatest risk of dying?

I carry a tourniquet everyday, it's called a belt. Do you know where and when to place it? How to mark it? Did you call EMS/911 if available?

In my humble opinion there is no "quick" introduction to the subject. The wilderness medicine classes listed might be a good start. The maxi's and tampons are also quite viable. A clotting agent might also help. Direct pressure first.

But then comes the decision time... Do you apply the tourniquet or do you not? If you do and it is not needed the wounded may lose an appendage.

Start with your basics.... Basic first aid from the Red Cross and knock your socks off from there. Lane offers EMS courses.

Start the breathing, stop the bleeding, protect the wound and treat for shock.
Well stated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads