Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fired for Wearing Bush Sweatshirt at Obama Rally

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chee-to, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Fired for Wearing Bush Sweatshirt at Obama Rally

Man Fired for Wearing Bush Sweatshirt at Obama Rally ***UPDATED - The News Blog with Eric Spillman - KTLA.COM

USC) -- Don't try wearing a Bush hat or sweatshirt at an Obama rally.
    Duane Hammond says it's what got him fired. Hammond is a union stagehand who was part of the crew that built the platform for the Obama event on campus.
    He came to work early this morning wearing clothing that says "George H. W. Bush". Hammond's son is in the Navy, currently serving on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. George H. W. Bush.
    Hammond says he was not trying to make a political statement. He says he got the sweatshirt and hat during a visit to the aircraft carrier on Family Day. The back of his sweatshirt has a large drawing of the ship.
    He says he wore it to show how proud he is of his son. That didn't go over well with his union supervisor. Hammond says he was told to take off the sweatshirt, or he would have to go home. He refused. They told him he was fired from the job.

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Another fine anti-military moment from the Party of Tolerance.

Keith

3. Bad Droid

Bad Droid Hillsbarrio Member

"Celebrate Diversity, as long as you are just like us!" That should be their motto.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

5. trainsktg

Intolerance WILL NOT be Tolerated!

Keith

6. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

A couple of things I need to point out....

Politics aside, the man was hired by his employer to perform labor at an Obama rally. Anybody with an ounce of common sense would know that wearing attire with the name of a political opponent isnt going to go over well. He was given an opportunity to change his attire; he made a conscious choice not to; so he shouldnt act the victim when the logical consequences of his choice come to pass.

Put another way....lets pretend for a moment that our very own NWFAA forum decided to spend its money to hold a pro-2nd Amendment rally, and it hired a company to set up the stage and chairs and sound equipment. Would it be acceptable for the paid staff of that company to wear Brady Campaign T-shirts while they were being paid to perform their duties?

He wasnt there as a spectator, he was there as a paid employee. There is a big difference.

7. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

Wrongful termination? He should take a good look at his contract. But it sounds about typical for Unions and anything associated with the Dems and especially the Obamination.

8. Bad Droid

Bad Droid Hillsbarrio Member

How is having an aircraft carrier on your shirt against either party? I thought we were all allegedly on the same team. IDK, sounds like he got fired for loving his country and the military that protects it. That says a whole lot for that particular campaign rally whether or not they were in the right or not for firing him.

9. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

So should we support a guys right (as an employee) to wear a KKK Clan shirt at an NAACP rally? The guy was in the right until he refused to change his shirt, at that point he had no legal standing.

10. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

He wasn't wearing a shirt with a political opponent, it was simply an aircraft carrier shirt :rolleyes:

11. trainsktg

Did you guys actually read they story? This analysis of a worker wearing a Brady Campaign or KKK shirt is faulty. (See my own suggestion below.)

Firstly, to clarify the story's facts, the worker's shirt, depicting the aircraft carrier CVN-77, USS George HW Bush, that his son is currently serving on, is not a political opponent of President Obama.

Now, with this in mind, instead of using the Brady Campaign or KKK shirt as suggested, lets instead substitute a more story-relevant shirt from the Seawolf-class submarine SSN-23, USS Jimmy Carter, and imagine the leftist media uproar if such a shirt was banned from any Republican event. I would be outraged if such an event were to occur!

This is nothing more than another display of knee jerk intolerance from the Left.

Keith

12. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Honoring your son's service shouldn't be tolerated !!!

a3pfyh.jpg

2dw7pte.jpg

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

They actually named a war ship after Carter?! You've GOT to be kidding... at least its a vessel in the "correct general shape" that suggest a "certain adjective" when I think of Jimmy Carter.... :D

14. trainsktg

Carter served as a submarine XO and Engineer Officer, among other postitions, on diesel boats and also qualified (but never served as) a submarine captain. He was also training to become the Engineer Officer of the Navy's first nuclear submarine, the USS Seawolf, but left the Service before he took the post. In spite of his numerous political faults (as I see them) naming a submarine after him is not totally out of line considering his association with them.

Keith

15. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

would that same union take the job setting up for a Palin rally? and if a member showed up wearing an Obama sweatshirt?

16. trainsktg

True enough, but its still not quite right to talk about a worker setting up for a Palin rally wearing an Obama shirt. There is no USS Obama.

Keith

17. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

"There is no USS Obama."

Yet... :)

For the record, I've never liked the practice of naming our ships after political figures from recent history. George H.W. Bush and James Carter aren't even dead yet. I think there are plenty of good honorable names like Hornet, Lexington, Saratoga, Bunker Hill, etc. All are historical aircraft carriers and they better name a carrier Enterprise after CVN-65 is retired. Oh, who knows without Googling who John C Stennis and Carl Vinson are? Well, they have aircraft carriers named after them... :(

I agree that an SSN James Carter sweatshirt has just as much right to be worn. I also agree James Carter served our Navy honorably and I would consider myself privileged if I was able to talk to him about his service in submarines.

My rant on politics interfering with naval tradition aside, the union acted stupidly, to quote a phrase...