JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did read the post, my point was simply that I try and keep an open mind to both sides. I am more inclined to believe what I am reading here, and less likely to believe those whom I should be able to trust. That seems to be an unfortunate thing. The link posted on post #4 seems to spell it out. Why would two state entities give me the wrong information ? That is very concerning! I very much appreciate everyones input and research, that is why I posted on here.
Thanks everyone!

There are no two sides to this at all.

Plain and simple there is only the LAW and the LAW is what's spelled out in the link in the 4th POST.

ANYTHING ELSE IS JUST IGNORANCE and will get you in trouble.

Trusting the local police station for legal advice is never a good idea
Had the sheriffs office in Grants Pass say to "just throw your pistol on the dash if you don't have a permit"
which is a legal no-no

I talked with the ATF in Seattle today. What they told me is that I have to transfer to an FFL dealer in Washington then its all on the buyer, background check and all.

deadeye, I am not sure why you would make a comment like that, I posted on here to raise a valid question then you imply I am going to jail for? That is real classy. And you are a moderator on here? Wow thanks for your support.

Do you really want me to open the post that you deleted or point out the fact that you changed the one that I quoted? Simple fact is you didn't read the first post I posted which would have answered your question and thus proved the info you received from the ill-informed LEO's incorrect. You are the one that chose to not trust the "info posted on NWFA" therefore you could end up in a cell. I tried to show support but you know the old saying about leading a horse to water.......

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

OREGON
<broken link removed>

WASHINGTON

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Firearms licensing laws, rules, and rulemaking activity

ATF Federal Firearms Law
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

========================================

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient's State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

3. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a resident of the same State in which I reside?
Any person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate interstate firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General's Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at www.naag.org.- 3 -

4. How do I register my firearm or remove my name from a firearms registration?
There is no Federal registration requirement for most conventional sporting firearms. Only those firearms subject to the National Firearms Act (NFA) (e.g., machineguns, short-barrel firearms, silencers, destructive devices, any other weapons) must be registered with ATF. For information on the registration and transfer provisions of the National Firearms Act, please refer to the ATF NFA Handbook at http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/ or contact the ATF NFA Branch at 304-616-4500. Firearms registration may be required by State or local law. Any person considering acquiring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General's Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at www.naag.org.

5. Does ATF issue a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) that authorizes a person to carry a firearm throughout the United States?
Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. CCPs may be issued by a State or local government.

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?
Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient's State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

Had the sheriffs office in Grants Pass say to "just throw your pistol on the dash if you don't have a permit"
which is a legal no-no

I would sure like to know what question you specifically asked him to get that response; or what the conversation was.

which is a legal no-no
I was stopped by a sherriff two years ago. Had my .357 sitting right next to me and no CHL. He acknowledged it and made absolutely no fuss. How is that a no-no? Sounds like open carry to me.

About a year ago I was selling a shotgun and had an Oregon resident say he wanted it. I told him I would t sell out of state and he told me he called the ATF and asked about it and they told him it didn't apply to long guns. I knew he was full of bubblegum but he asked me to call them myself so I did. I called the Seattle office and spoke to a woman officer there and she told me it only applied to handguns. I specifically asked her atleast 3 times if I could sell to an out of state party without going through an ffl and she confirmed it. I figured she didn't know what the hell she was talking about and I still didnt sell it to him, but to be an ATF officer and to not know the laws leaves me with little faith in their office.

Looks like Quesodilla has left the building......Also has an SPF on his Sig for sale ad. Hope he did read the statutes posted.

I don't understand someone into fire arms arguing about this after so much common sense information has been put out there for viewing. What's up with that, is it a troll?

Unless you've got some ultra hard to find fire arm, or some incredible low price, WHY would anyone mess with going the FFL route/out of state sale anyway? Good lord, your in a huge population center! Someone will step up and buy the gun locally.

Looks like Quesodilla has left the building......Also has an SPF on his Sig for sale ad. Hope he did read the statutes posted.

I don't understand someone into fire arms arguing about this after so much common sense information has been put out there for viewing. What's up with that, is it a troll?

Unless you've got some ultra hard to find fire arm, or some incredible low price, WHY would anyone mess with going the FFL route/out of state sale anyway? Good lord, your in a huge population center! Someone will step up and buy the gun locally.
I didnt leave the building. Nothing was meant as arguing. I was just looking for information, and relaying what I was being told by the different entities. Unfortunatly some arguing took place. To answer your other question as to why go to an FFL dealer, I am giving a good price and the buyer has to pick up the transfer and pay the taxes. The Washington FFL dealer is local so its not any different than meeting someone in Portland. At the beginning of all of this I had very little idea of the state laws vs the federal laws. The state people both Or and Wa didnt even acknowledge the federal laws when I was speaking to them. As for the arguing I took some of the posts the wrong way and let it get under my skin. I apologize to all for that. I had made the statement that I was trying to keep an open mind to both sides, what I was refering to was that I was trying to understand why the state would tell me what they did when the information was obviously wrong. This has been a very interesting subject.

Here is the final on the game.
The buyer paid a $17 FFL transfer fee,taxes, and we walked away from a private sale at an FFL dealer Oredon seller to a Washington buyer.
Have a nice day:cool:

The buyer paid a $17 FFL transfer fee,taxes, and we walked away from a private sale at an FFL dealer Oredon seller to a Washington buyer.

That's a great deal. I recently sold a rife to a WA resident. We transferred it at an FFL and it cost him $25, which I thought was a great price.

Well I learned something. I was under the impression that for a transfer/sale such as yours the Or resident needed an Or FFL=$$, and he would transfer to a Wa FFL=$$ who would then do the BGC=$, charge the buyer $$, and then hand the gun to the Wa resident. IF that were the case, that is why it didn't make sense (to me) to go through all the hassle.

Hmmm.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top