JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This one is getting waaay off topic, but I am hoping there may be some people on this forum who may be to provide some direction. I have only ever owned one dog of my own in my life. He was a yellow lab and that was almost 30 years ago. The folks had a lhasso apso during my teen years, but I am not sure that really qualifies as a dog. I love other peoples dog, even borrow one on occasion to take on hikes, but never was in a position to bring home. This is not a decision or commitment that I take lightly. Due to some of what we have struggled with recently, we made the decision that a dog would make a good addition to our family, especially for our children. Kind of a therapy pet of sorts, but not in a "have a kid to save a marriage" kind of way. What we are seeking is something under 25 pounds and have short hair. I would like to find a dog that can keep up with me in the woods, covering 3-4 miles 2 or 3 days a week. We have a fenced yard so he/she/them would have room to roam, but it would spend time inside as well. I guess a "medium" energy dog with a non aggressive temperment would be a good description. I've always liked jack russells, but I know they can be rather enthusiastic. I am not sure is that is a training or breed issue. I am looking into beagles, their nose being a consideration for shed hunting. It does not have to be a pure bred. I would also much rather find one through an animal shelter rather than a breeder or puppy mill. No matter what we bring home, the dog will be put through training and we will have the kids involved with that as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog that might fit the criteria listed above? Any tips or advice for new dog people?

Last Edited:
the Beagle would be a good choice and covers the short hair, weight and endurance. so would an Australian cattle dog, but they may be hard to come by.

most working dogs your going to find will be either to heavy, or hairy.

The problem is that most dogs in the 25 lb range, "don't really qualify as dogs," as you say.

If you were willing to bump the weight up a bit you could probably find a smaller female Lab in the 50-ish pound range. They're great with kids, rugged enough for outdoor stuff, but without the crazy energy of a border collie. They can be shedding fiends, however, as they have double coats.

One dog in the 25 lb range that I really like is the Shiba Inu. It ticks a lot of your boxes but DEFINITELY make sure you read up on the breed. Read multiple opinions. Shibas are smart and can be a bit of a handful. But that's part of what I like about them.

There are websites with selection functions regarding all variables you are concerned about. Results will be ranked.
This is why I have a wombat.

not really

Beagles are great family dogs. They tend to be VERY mild. This is why they are so often used in some horrific "studies". Great with kids and plenty of energy to take hiking. One downside is the bark. They were bred for hunting and tend to bay. If you can live with that they are a great dog. From a shelter may be able to find a mix Beagle and whatever which could be fine. Best to get a young dog if possible. Training is easier then.

Under 25 lbs is certainly limiting. Too small to truly go 'walking in the woods'. You would end up carrying it home. My suggestion is also an upsized one. You want them to play with kids and that the dog to be good with them. Shedding is also a problem with many dogs. My suggestion would be along those lines. We had 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks in 25 years. Shedding is very minor, they would rather be with people than other dogs (kids can cuddle with them), very protective and like exercise. Females will run 65 (lean) lbs and males run upwards of 120. They like hikes in the outdoors, runs on the beach and laying in the sun. Oh and don't like walking in the rain (Yea for me!!!). Great dogs!!

some basic rules of "dog"......
the smaller the dog, the smaller the bladder.
I have had 2 shedders. year around. consider that statement. still have #2 currently, he is worth the vaccumming time.
lab, shepperd crosses good! they have mass to their bodies and feet, thus do well outdoors, hiking, protecting, as compared to poddle crosses which always feel light and dainty.
NOT saying poodle crosses are bad, great dogs.
Rescue dogs need you.
Lastly and most importantly,
...A dog is the ONLY family member you get to chose.
also stated as "acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human has to ever choose a relative."

Woods activity and shed hunting would steer me towards a working breed. You can go further down the hole towards a hunting breed.
If you settle on a specific breed you can find rescue organizations for those pure bred dogs. If that is the route you go.

I work with a lab in the woods and they are great. However if I couldn't run her on a regular basis I would not have a lab. I don't think it's fair to the dog and they are much less enjoyable to be around. Just my opinion.
I also have kids and believe that both the kids and dog will get along better if the dog is a puppy when it comes home.
Much easier to assimilate into the family.

1637191547616.jpeg ..

Sounds to me like you're looking for a Setter, or maybe a Brittany. Great temperament, great family dogs, energy levels can go from medium to high, so choose your pup wisely. But yeah, will definitely keep up with you on hikes.

They need a hair cut couple of times a year, but otherwise aren't too bad grooming wise.

Though, on the other hand you can always get a Lab, because GOAT!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top