JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm selling my three-screw Ruger Blackhawk so I can buy something a little more modern and cheaper to shoot at the range. Specifically I am looking at the Ruger SR9.

I know there has been a lot of negative hype around the 2008 recall and the gritty post-recall replacement trigger, but to my understanding the new SR9 and SR9c (2010 to present) have a newer and very desirable trigger that addressed both the (supposed) safety issue and the gritty trigger pull.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2010-2012 Ruger SR9 and would like to give feedback, whether you own one yourself or have shot a friend's at the range. Thanks in advance.

I have one of these Rugers and was impressed with its function. It does not have the fine machined forged slide of a Sig, but unl3ss you disasseble the pistol and look at the underbelly of the slide you'd never know....
The trigger on mine is fine and it is fu to shoot and natural pointing pistol.

Thanks Grunwald. I too love the ergonomics of this gun, it reminds of some kind of poly 1911. Guessing you have a newer one. Most people seem to be gravitating towards the compact model. IMO this is because it came out after all the fixes ruger had to do and therefor started with a much better rep. Curious, is yours a full size?

you're only renting so it will be fine with your oregon id. I had the SR9 and it's ok compare to other guns in the same category. The trigger pull is a bit heavy and feels like sand paper. It looks beautiful with the stainless and black contrast. I really think the XD and glock 17 are better options for that price point.

Price point to way different between those three guns. Glock 17 is best price $505 new in my area, where as new SR9 is $380.

What year is your SR9, because the gritty trigger issue is supposed to be fixed with the 2011 and 2012 models...they now use the same trigger as the sr9c.

I had the SR9 from 2010 but i also shot the sr40 last year. I can't recall if the gritty feeling was there but the trigger pull was still on the heavy side for me. Then again almost all striker fire pistols are like that but i preferred the trigger pull of the glock. The g17 has gone down in price and you can one for $400 on the classified section. Brand new XD, not the XDM, are $390. Both of these models are reliable and affordable. If you really have your heart set on the SR9 then go for it. I loved the SR9 but after owning it and several other striker fire guns it really falls short.

I loved the SR9 but after owning it and several other striker fire guns it really falls short.

An opinion shared by many, that's for sure. I think the full size SR9 didnt get the new trigger until late 2010 or early 2011, so you probably had the old one which is considered heavier and gritty in comparison.

I'm not completely set on the sr9 and I'm not a die-hard Ruger fan boy. I grew up in a family that only owns Savage, Ruger and Smith and Wesson. Not sure why, just a family tradition I guess. Mostly I want a high capacity striker-fired 9mm with decent sights and a price below $400.

The only glocks I've seen around $400 in the classified section are heavily used gen 2s. I'd want a gen 3 or 4. As far as the XD, I didnt really like the feel of them. I kind of discounted Springfield early in this search. Mostly I've looked at Glock, Walther, Ruger, and to a far lesser extent Smith and Wesson (used M&P or new SD9VE).

Last Edited:
I definately appreciate the Dont buy a gun because of its cost argument, but it really boils down to this: if you like two guns the same, and both are likely to last the rest of your life with proper care and maintenance, and you only have $400... buy the one for $400, not $500.

There are things I like better about the Glock like the simplicity to disassemble, the reliability, the accessory options, etc. There are also things I like better about the Ruger like the grip and sights, the look, and (call me old fashioned) it is all american (this is about supporting local economies and not about nationalism). This is why I've been leaning Ruger. Though if I could find a decent gen 3 or 4 Glock 17 for the same price, I'd probably get it instead. I would want it registered in my name though, which means additional costs for transfer, potential shipping costs, etc which buying a new Ruger would not have.

Last Edited:
Full size, i wonder what they cost there, do you remember?

Discard above question, I just called them and they said they are about $390. They also said I may get between $300 and $400 for my three screw blackhawk. Sounds like a trade-in is in my future...wish I didnt live so damn far away or I would go there tonight.

I liked my SR9 if I did'nt already have so many pitols laying around I would have kept it not as accurate as any of the other pistols I own but a nice backpacking/plinking gun.

If you don't want to drive to Vancouver <broken link removed> should have one you can rent. Only catch is you have to bring in a pistol for them to rent you one due to non gun owners suicide by rental guns...

FWIW i have both the sr9 and the sr9c and both guns shoot great. All the other handguns i own are Glocks i prefer the Glocks because i seem to shoot a little more accurate with them and they are a little simpler.But that being said those are just my opinions and there is a lot to be said about spending your money in America these days and i don't think you can go wrong buying one.

Thanks Grunwald. I too love the ergonomics of this gun, it reminds of some kind of poly 1911. Guessing you have a newer one. Most people seem to be gravitating towards the compact model. IMO this is because it came out after all the fixes ruger had to do and therefor started with a much better rep. Curious, is yours a full size?

Yes it is the full size model. To be honest I have not fired it in a while - been using my 45s (I reload the caliber), but do remember that I was very impressed with how it handled and functioned. It was also one if those guns that seems to aim itself( I guess sort of my 1911). I was shooting it in a gravel pit, so I was not trying to hit bullseyes on paper, but rather some shotgun shells that some slobs left behind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top