JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering buying a Bergara B-14R in .22LR. Its main use will be semi-formal benchrest competition at my local club. I've read a number of reviews online, but does anyone here have any experience with this model? Any advantage going with the carbon barrel over the steel, other than weight savings?

@Reno might either have some experience or know someone who does. He's probably shot more .22lr than anyone here.

I just went through this same exercise and looked at the Bergara BMR, B-14, Tikka T1X and CZ 457. This is new to me so I'm sure others will have better advice, but here is what I found after reading a lot on other forums. SH actually has quite a bit of info on all of them.

The B-14 seemed to be of more interest to those who wanted to upgrade the stock/trigger as it fits a R700 platform. All the threads I read on carbon fiber vs steel, said it was only a weight thing, nothing to do with accuracy (unless heavier = more stability shooting bench rest). I found some comments that carbon fiber didn't do as well with a silencer as steel.

Also, the B-14 comes in a barreled action so if the intent is to upgrade the stock, you can save a little.

The Bergara, Tikka and CZ all seem to shoot the same according to comments by people who owned all of them. To really step up your game, you need to get a Vudoo.

Ultimately I decided to go with the BMR Carbon, mainly because I liked the look of the carbon fiber barrel. Also, the lower price point would allow me to compete in NRL base class, where the B-14 would not.

For scopes (as that goes in to value factor on base class) Bushnell, believe it or not makes a pretty solid scope that they don't sell through retailers to keep the cost down so it can qualify for base class. Its the Bushnell Match Pro FFP and it got great reviews from what I read and was specifically designed for 22 with paralax down to 10 yards. The non-illuminated reticle is running $350 and the illuminated is $400.

Last thing is ammo, if you want to shoot competition and get good results, you need to buy the good ammo. Lapua Center-X seemed to get a lot of positive reviews, but comments on threads I read said you need to try several (if you can find any)

@Reno might either have some experience or know someone who does. He's probably shot more .22lr than anyone here.
I am but a humble rimfire shooter!
That's cuz he has fiber myalgia, osteoporosis, narcolepsy, asthma, astigmatism, tiny wrists, and wears Bobby-socks.

;) :D
This one made me laugh. Crocs might have given it away.

As for the Bergara. The shooter that places 1st more often than not at Tri County NRL22 was shooting a carbon barrel Bergara up until the last match where she debuted her Vuduu 22 that matches her center fire rifle. She outshot many high end rifles using that Bergara for quite some time before I started shooting the discipline. The Bergara is a common rifle on the competition circuits.

For prices being where they are, you can't go wrong with the Tikka, Bergara, or a CZ. I see all 3 do very well in competitions. I rock a CZ 457 in a chassis. Bone stock otherwise and though I have never placed 1st in any match yet, I am extremely happy with how the rifle has perf thus far.

Thanks for the responses. I took the plunge & ordered a black/carbon version from a LGS & it arrived today. Mounted the scope this afternoon, & I'll nip out to the range tomorrow with an assortment of SV ammo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top