JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for any and all feedback on the Remington 700P. I would be using it for varmint and target shooting only as well as some friendly shooting competitions against friends. Our little competitions are usually at the 500 yard range. Have you or anyone you know had good or bad experiences with this rifle? Please let me know what you think about this rifle, or another similiar to it. Thank you for your time.

Shane

Been doing a lot of researching and asking this same question. I was told that a few years ago Remington was THE rifle to go to (for what you have described).

What caliber have you decided to go with?

I am now leaning towards a Savage myself.

Keep asking and reading. I am going to love this thread too.

Good post! :s0155:

I want to go with a .308. Ammo is easy to find, relatively inexpensive and a friend has all the necessary equipment for reloading. May I ask why you are choosing the Savage over the Remington, and what caliber are you going with?

I am getting together with another friend and we want to "plink" too. We are looking at ~1000 +/- yards. We have both come to the conclusion that the 7mm would be good. We didn't want to get into $2000+ rifles (Lapua, SOCOM, AI, Barrett, et al) or any other "odd" rounds (.338, 50BMG, et al).

Like you mentioned, being able to walk into a store and buy ammo off the shelf - before we can start reloading ourselves. I know, off the shelf isn't going to be "that accurate" at 1000 yards, but the 7mm has a better chance of being accurate at that range that the .308. Off the shelf ammo isn't that much different either ($1-$3 per box).

I have found from numerous people that said that Remington used to be the best right out of the box rifle. It appears that their "quality" has been skimped on lately, and others (Savage and others) have been improving their products. Savage comes with a floating bolt head that is better at seating the bullet square. This saves from having to send the Remington bolt out to have it worked ($$$). The Accu-trigger on the Savage is supposed to be sweet. The Remington needs to be removed and "worked" ($$$).

The bullet's ballistic coefficient for the 7mm is better than the .308. The 7mm tends to have a longer bullet than the .308. It is like the difference of throwing a stick (.308) and throwing a spear (the 7mm). The 7mm will carry further more accurately.

These are things that I found just in the past week or two. I know that I am going to get slammed.

I really was leaning towards the Remington 700 and almost bought one Tues. Then I "surfed" a little more, and talked with people, and they suggested some other brands to look at as opposed to just the Remington. Browning A-Bolt, Savage, Weatherby Mark 5, etc. Same price ranges, but tends to be a little better in fit and finish than the Remy's.

The Savage has a little better safety set up (I like it better). The Savage has a detachable magazine where the Remy does not.

As mentioned, a few years ago, Remington was it! Not so much these days.

Something else that was brought up. Buy once, cry once for the optics. What you save without having to "massage" the Remy can be put towards optics.

For 500 yards the .308 is plenty of everything.. especially repeatable, fixed distances like a range.
I've heard good things about the lowly .243 for 1000 yards plus.. ranges where especially the .308 has gone subsonic.. even with the best and most everything.
The .243 starts out much faster and with a much more long range capable bullet. I hear very good things about the 115 grain Dtac bullet driven at 3000-3200fps at the muzzle.. made by Sierra. Estimated BC=.585 above 2850 fps

The .243 starts out much faster and with a much more long range capable bullet. I hear very good things about the 115 grain Dtac bullet driven at 3000-3200fps at the muzzle.. made by Sierra. Estimated BC=.585 above 2850 fps
That sounds a might "optimistic" for velocity range of a 115 gr slug out of a .243.
6mm Rem Ackley, or 6x.284 maybe, but anything over 3000fps out of a .243 would be pushing it pretty hard.

If I was going for 500+ yds with a factory rifle I would opt for the 700P in .308, or the Savage model 12 LRP in .260Rem.

That sounds a might "optimistic" for velocity range of a 115 gr slug out of a .243.
6mm Rem Ackley, or 6x.284 maybe, but anything over 3000fps out of a .243 would be pushing it pretty hard.

If I was going for 500+ yds with a factory rifle I would opt for the 700P in .308, or the Savage model 12 LRP in .260Rem.
In 2004 that bullet was used to post "the first and only perfect score ever logged at Camp Perry. He did this all with his trusty 6XC-chambered T2K".. that record still stands.

Tubb 2000 in 6XC within AccurateShooter.com

The 6XC is a .243 shortened by 0.130".

A .308 is just fine for 500 yards though.

In 2004 that bullet was used to post "the first and only perfect score ever logged at Camp Perry. He did this all with his trusty 6XC-chambered T2K".. that record still stands.

Tubb 2000 in 6XC within AccurateShooter.com

The 6XC is a .243 shortened by 0.130".

A .308 is just fine for 500 yards though.
Accuracy doesn't equate to velocity Cd. And it certainly won't when pushing a cartridge beyond it's limits for pressure.
Here, David Tubb shoots the 115 DTac from 27" and 29" barrels, and claims that @3100fps, he showed signs of too much pressure.
6XC Cartridge Guide

There is more to the 6xc than just shortening the case .130". the straighter case sidewalls and the 30* shoulder contribute greatly to efficiency over the standard taper and shoulder angle on the .243 case.

I stand by my contention that velocities over 3k FPS out of a std .243 pushing 115gr bullets is optimistic at best.
Back the load down, increase the case life, be happy with your accuracy and save your face.

Have a nice day!

I am getting together with another friend and we want to "plink" too. We are looking at ~1000 +/- yards. We have both come to the conclusion that the 7mm would be good. We didn't want to get into $2000+ rifles (Lapua, SOCOM, AI, Barrett, et al) or any other "odd" rounds (.338, 50BMG, et al).

Like you mentioned, being able to walk into a store and buy ammo off the shelf - before we can start reloading ourselves. I know, off the shelf isn't going to be "that accurate" at 1000 yards, but the 7mm has a better chance of being accurate at that range that the .308. Off the shelf ammo isn't that much different either ($1-$3 per box).

I have found from numerous people that said that Remington used to be the best right out of the box rifle. It appears that their "quality" has been skimped on lately, and others (Savage and others) have been improving their products. Savage comes with a floating bolt head that is better at seating the bullet square. This saves from having to send the Remington bolt out to have it worked ($$$). The Accu-trigger on the Savage is supposed to be sweet. The Remington needs to be removed and "worked" ($$$).

The bullet's ballistic coefficient for the 7mm is better than the .308. The 7mm tends to have a longer bullet than the .308. It is like the difference of throwing a stick (.308) and throwing a spear (the 7mm). The 7mm will carry further more accurately.

These are things that I found just in the past week or two. I know that I am going to get slammed.

I really was leaning towards the Remington 700 and almost bought one Tues. Then I "surfed" a little more, and talked with people, and they suggested some other brands to look at as opposed to just the Remington. Browning A-Bolt, Savage, Weatherby Mark 5, etc. Same price ranges, but tends to be a little better in fit and finish than the Remy's.

The Savage has a little better safety set up (I like it better). The Savage has a detachable magazine where the Remy does not.

As mentioned, a few years ago, Remington was it! Not so much these days.

Something else that was brought up. Buy once, cry once for the optics. What you save without having to "massage" the Remy can be put towards optics.

So which 7mm are you going with?

I am assuming you mean 7mm Rem Mag?

While there is a lot of truth in all you have said about the 7mm RM there are some down sides as compared to the 308. Barrel life is going to be pretty short with the 7mm RM especially compared to the 308. When you do start reloading, you will spend a fair amount more on powder also.

Edit: 7mm Rem Mag not Win Mag. My mistake.

Last Edited:
This is true. The original OP, Cidian, was wondering about rifles for his 500 yard range. I agree that a .308 is perfect for that distance. That is why I chose the 7mm Win Mag for further the distances that I want to shoot.

AS you mentioned, the .308 will have a significantly longer barrel life. That is the price that I will have to pay by wanting to shoot the 7mm WM.

Still, I feel that the Savage, in either caliber, get's my vote.

Thank you all for the information on the various calibers, and manufactures. I have decided to go with the .308 as it seems to be the optimal caliber for the range I will be shooting. The extended barrel life is a plus as well.

Shane

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads