Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Federal rifle ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rainy Winchester, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Rainy Winchester

Rainy Winchester Will. Valley Member

Has anyone noticed a shortage in federal vital-shok rifle ammo? I have been specifically looking for 338wm and 25-06, but at the same time notice that other calibers are no where to be found. Both online and in stores. Does any know why or has noticed the same thing? I wanted 250gr rounds in 338 but had to settle for 210 cause that's all that I could find 3 weeks ago, now that's even hard to find.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hunting season? And the way people over buy now days.

Sgt Nambu and Steve M like this.
  3. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Last fall I was in a sporting goods store with my father-in-law while he purchased a new 7mm-08 for hunting. He purchased one box of ammo but the store clerk suggested he buy another as what was on the shelf was all they had and hunters thinking they could buy ammo on their way out of town would find empty shelves. Sure enough, a few weeks later those shelves were nearly bare and it was many months before I saw 7mm-08 again.

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I bought plenty of .308win to last me a couple seasons a few months ago.

Glad I did, as it is getting hard to find now for a reasonable cost and in stock on the shelves I frequent.

30-06 seems to be like .40s&w, it's overflowing on the shelves still.

5. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Funny, I like the 2506 for dear, and the 338 for elk. I haven't bought a box of bullets this century and have no reason to. Roll your own and the only thing you'll have to complain about is no primers and no powder.:cool:

6. Rainy Winchester

Yea I should have started buying it months ago. I usually have plenty but my stock ran out. If I wanted winchester or Remington I'd be more than set, buy federal is my preferred round. The 25-06 is for deer and backup elk rifle, the 338 is my main elk rifle. I've tried to get into reloading the last 2 years to avoid this, but between money, housing conflicts, and supply shortage it's been tough. I will one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Back when I was living in an apartment, I used (and still do on occasion) Lee Classic Loaders for reloading. All you need is components, a scale, and a hammer. You can set yourself up nicely for less than $100, a little more if you don't have a hammer.

Lee Loader:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-25-...214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adc64ac9e

Scale:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...id=1411420667&sr=8-6&keywords=reloading+scale

Hammer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-3...qid=1411420710&sr=8-7&keywords=plastic+hammer

Boom, you're in the game. Completely portable and they make very accurate rounds due to neck-sizing.

Sgt Nambu and Joe13 like this.
  8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Those lee classics lead to a rough loading experience... I wouldn't recommend them for the neophyte, just like I wouldn't recommend a lyman 310. The Lee Reloader press isn't a bad place to start out, but much more than neck sizing on the .338 and you'll probably break the press in half. IIRC it's about $30-40 new!

The scale is going to be the expensive part, frankford arsenal is offering some decent digital scales for cheap, I don't know that I would want to go the rest of my life using one, but they're great for starting out IIRC ~$30.

Dies... buy RCBS and call it a day. I would recommend the lee shell holders, they're about 1/3 the price, and who cares it's kinda hard to screw up a shell holder. Don't forget the lube!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. Rainy Winchester

Rcbs is my go to brand. Almost had a complete setup last fall before I had to sell it all off. After elk season I'll start saving again and try to slowly get back into it.

10. d2the3

d2the3 Eugene, Oregon Well-Known Member

what city are you in? I think my bimart has federal in .338!? is it the blue box stuff?