JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone noticed a shortage in federal vital-shok rifle ammo? I have been specifically looking for 338wm and 25-06, but at the same time notice that other calibers are no where to be found. Both online and in stores. Does any know why or has noticed the same thing? I wanted 250gr rounds in 338 but had to settle for 210 cause that's all that I could find 3 weeks ago, now that's even hard to find.

Last fall I was in a sporting goods store with my father-in-law while he purchased a new 7mm-08 for hunting. He purchased one box of ammo but the store clerk suggested he buy another as what was on the shelf was all they had and hunters thinking they could buy ammo on their way out of town would find empty shelves. Sure enough, a few weeks later those shelves were nearly bare and it was many months before I saw 7mm-08 again.

I bought plenty of .308win to last me a couple seasons a few months ago.

Glad I did, as it is getting hard to find now for a reasonable cost and in stock on the shelves I frequent.

30-06 seems to be like .40s&w, it's overflowing on the shelves still.

Funny, I like the 2506 for dear, and the 338 for elk. I haven't bought a box of bullets this century and have no reason to. Roll your own and the only thing you'll have to complain about is no primers and no powder.:cool:

Yea I should have started buying it months ago. I usually have plenty but my stock ran out. If I wanted winchester or Remington I'd be more than set, buy federal is my preferred round. The 25-06 is for deer and backup elk rifle, the 338 is my main elk rifle. I've tried to get into reloading the last 2 years to avoid this, but between money, housing conflicts, and supply shortage it's been tough. I will one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Back when I was living in an apartment, I used (and still do on occasion) Lee Classic Loaders for reloading. All you need is components, a scale, and a hammer. You can set yourself up nicely for less than $100, a little more if you don't have a hammer.

Lee Loader:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-25-...214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adc64ac9e

Scale:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...id=1411420667&sr=8-6&keywords=reloading+scale

Hammer:
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-3...qid=1411420710&sr=8-7&keywords=plastic+hammer

Boom, you're in the game. Completely portable and they make very accurate rounds due to neck-sizing.

Those lee classics lead to a rough loading experience... I wouldn't recommend them for the neophyte, just like I wouldn't recommend a lyman 310. The Lee Reloader press isn't a bad place to start out, but much more than neck sizing on the .338 and you'll probably break the press in half. IIRC it's about $30-40 new!

The scale is going to be the expensive part, frankford arsenal is offering some decent digital scales for cheap, I don't know that I would want to go the rest of my life using one, but they're great for starting out IIRC ~$30.

Dies... buy RCBS and call it a day. I would recommend the lee shell holders, they're about 1/3 the price, and who cares it's kinda hard to screw up a shell holder. Don't forget the lube!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top