JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some of you may be wondering why I keep making threads asking if anyone knows if someone is hiring...

I actually have been getting at least one good lead if not 3-4 per thread and as it has been a couple months I thought I'd try once more.

Making the short lists but not making it to the #1 spot for different reasons, out licensed, different work then I've done all my life, not able to travel for months, too little pay for the distance from my home and possibly some have been my lack of working for the last 7 years.

I'm still looking though:rolleyes:.

90% healed from my September knee surgery and blood clots, but stamina and weight gain has kept me from hard physical all day labor jobs.

My Ideal job would be in WA, sitting or driving half the day and better then just above minimum wage (I know those jobs are out there;)) although payb isnt a deal breaker for the right job.

I have maintenance and building skills on anything that would be in a residential home.

Computer and office skills to run the front end of a company or be an office manager.

Warehouse and shipping / receiving skills.

Was a cellular repair tech for 10 years and a low voltage Electrician for 4 years before that.

Have done auto parts counters, apartment maintenance as well long long ago.

So there is my basic skill set and ideal conditions. Standing and running for 8 hours is still out the door but with breaks from that I could do the job no problem.

Any points towards a direction would be greatly appreciated as I thought I would be employed last September and not undergoing surgery with 8 weeks on the couch after that...

Thanks!

Maybe get on with Uber or Ryde until you find something down the road?

Tough one Joe. With those restrictions, it's going to be hard to find something. But since you're getting better, hopefully you'll be able to do more on a daily basis. I'm continuing to keep my eyes out for something, but most of what I have seen won't work for you. I'll keep watching though. Something has got to break one of these days!

I like the Uber idea. Work at your own place. Get paid then deduct mileage for using your car.

I am working on some online videos right now based upon consulting work I did about 15 years ago. The principles and process all stay the same on business coaching, so I am taking what I used to teach and do with troubled business's and make short videos encapsulating all that in individual videos and then selling them online.

I am no good for an 8 hour day 40 hour week either, and at my age (59) nobody would hire me anyway. You may have to look at developing multiple income streams. I sell collectibles / tools/ functional things on ebay, I sell stock photography pictures and will be doing UAV video this spring, I do some marketing development and social media work for some companies. Little bits here and there, fortunately the wife has a good job and works 40 hours a week.

Thanks y'all;)

My car is a year or two older then Uber allows unfortunately, but I did look into it.

Just thought I'd ask again in case someone had heard something - i enevidibly get a PM for something.

I'm going to look into the tow truck companies that were recommended earlier in a previous thread and am giving school bus driver another thought.

I can do short stints of high or very physically demanding work but then need a short break (like driving) and I'm good to go again.

I don't imagine my first few weeks at any job will be easy but I drop weight and gain muscle fast still - sitting at home and doing chores just isn't cutting it though.

I worked for AAA for a while in Portland. I liked the job just didn't pay much.

How close are you looking to stay to Vancouver?

I'd rather drive to Longview then hillsboro if that helps.

A lot of jobs I'm qualified for are in the Beaverton hillsboro area but that's an hour and a half commute on an average day plus I'd be paying the OR income tax.

Banks still have lots of "shadow inventory" which are houses that are either in pre-foreclosure or have not yet been listed on market waiting for prices improve. Banks still need people to keep an eye on occupied homes or maintain vacant homes until they are ready to sell. We have a guy out here who makes a living taking monthly pictures and boarding up broken windows for the banks. Sorry, I don't have any contacts for you. Sounds like something right up your alley.

Some of you may be wondering why I keep making threads asking if anyone knows if someone is hiring...

I actually have been getting at least one good lead if not 3-4 per thread and as it has been a couple months I thought I'd try once more.

Making the short lists but not making it to the #1 spot for different reasons, out licensed, different work then I've done all my life, not able to travel for months, too little pay for the distance from my home and possibly some have been my lack of working for the last 7 years.

I'm still looking though:rolleyes:.

90% healed from my September knee surgery and blood clots, but stamina and weight gain has kept me from hard physical all day labor jobs.

My Ideal job would be in WA, sitting or driving half the day and better then just above minimum wage (I know those jobs are out there;)) although payb isnt a deal breaker for the right job.

I have maintenance and building skills on anything that would be in a residential home.

Computer and office skills to run the front end of a company or be an office manager.

Warehouse and shipping / receiving skills.

Was a cellular repair tech for 10 years and a low voltage Electrician for 4 years before that.

Have done auto parts counters, apartment maintenance as well long long ago.

So there is my basic skill set and ideal conditions. Standing and running for 8 hours is still out the door but with breaks from that I could do the job no problem.

Any points towards a direction would be greatly appreciated as I thought I would be employed last September and not undergoing surgery with 8 weeks on the couch after that...

Thanks!
Sportsman's Warehouse is always looking for people who know guns or to manage a store or section of one.
The Vancouver Sportsman's is looking for an outwear salesman and the Portland one is looking for too many to list.
Vancouver:
Sportsman's Warehouse Employment
Portland:
Sportsman's Warehouse Employment

+1 for Sportsmans. Low wages, but super easy work environment.

The kelso sore just promoted Sarah Ward as the store manager. She was an awesome office manager while at the Hillsboro store. She would be great to work under.

If you apply there tell her Bryan sent you.

Computer and office skills to run the front end of a company or be an office manager

I dont' know if they still have a need, but tax preparers - like H&R Block + locals may need some help - at least for the next 2 months. https://goo.gl/exE4AU

My daughter started as a receptionist/scheduler and has been promoted since then. In the off season H&R paid for her school & test so she can now prepare taxes. (State licensing)

Saw in OR today, AAA is hiring for response drivers. They may need them in the 'Couv too. I think this is right, my cell pic is a bit fuzzy: 503-646 4422

These are the guys who drive pickups and bring a gallon of gas, or jump start a car.

Not Tow drivers.

Got a personal referral for a heavy machinery operator and warehouse manager position so I applied for those and a few others.

The search will continue till it ends I guess:D.

Appreciate all the posts and and the PM's:cool:

Have you looked into security companies? Running a route or at a post? Just a thought.

I have looked at all sorts. Most want a state certified 'Security License' (one for non gun carry and a different one for gun carry), and pretty much every single one I've looked at want 1-2 years of experience in security or military or police equivilant (least I've found is 2 months and when I checked none it auto sent me a sorry letter).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top