JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this article while reading up on tannerite:

» FBI Wants You to Know About Explosive Tannerite Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I've got a few questions about some statements in the article, I wonder how does political perspective play against the technical
accuracy in it. Following are the questions...

Tannerite, however, would not prove to be a practical material for a terrorist IED, that is unless a terrorist does not have an issue with exposing himself to capture. Tannerite can only be exploded by using a high velocity rifle bullet — and that means he would need to be within several hundred yards of the target.

Firearms yield highest velocity at the muzzle, thus a rifle (remotely activated) placed next to a tannerite charge could be used as a detonator ?

Leave it up to the FBI, though, to frighten folks into believing there is another substance out there that terrorists can use at marathons.

Tannerite mostly consists of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which is the substance that was used in Oklahoma City Bombing (Oklahoma City bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So tanerrite can in fact be used to commit an attack on our citizens ?

The AN must be infused with Fuel Oil to create ANFO
Anfo requires a detonator like TNT or PETIN to set it off
ANFO has been a commercial explosive for decades used in open pit mining because it is so stable, it is shipped to the site in pumper trucks and pumped into drilled voids for precise mining explosions.
Just something I read in the Public Library 30 years ago

The AN must be infused with Fuel Oil to create ANFO
Anfo requires a detonator like TNT or PETIN to set it off
ANFO has been a commercial explosive for decades used in open pit mining because it is so stable, it is shipped to the site in pumper trucks and pumped into drilled voids for precise mining explosions.
Just something I read in the Public Library 30 years ago

You mean tannerite explosion doesn't produce enough velocity to detonate ANFO ? How about tannerite itself, how much less brisance does it have compared to ANFO ?

I don't think tannerite meets the "high explosive" level required to set of ANFO (though I am not a demolitions expert and don't play one on TV). I think you need a true primary "high explosive". One only needs to locate a copy of the old military "improvised munitions handbook" to find many simple explosives. Haven't seen a copy in years but they had all sorts of things that were simple and surprising. I recall one of the devices used blood and highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide as an explosive.

I don't think tannerite meets the "high explosive" level required to set of ANFO (though I am not a demolitions expert and don't play one on TV). I think you need a true primary "high explosive". One only needs to locate a copy of the old military "improvised munitions handbook" to find many simple explosives. Haven't seen a copy in years but they had all sorts of things that were simple and surprising. I recall one of the devices used blood and highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide as an explosive.

It might meet the high explosive requirement. Skip to about 3:30 in this vid and see what it can do to a truck.

DRD Paratus-18 (Suit Case Gun) - YouTube

You mean tannerite explosion doesn't produce enough velocity to detonate ANFO ? How about tannerite itself, how much less brisance does it have compared to ANFO ?

Real Tannerite, not the imitation stuff that has flash powder in it. Takes a charge that is equivalent to 2200 fps or more. That is why .22 and regular pistol cartridges won't set 'real' tannerite off. I've had some 7.62x39 rounds not set it off because I was about 100 yards away. It needs to be travelling at 2200+ fps at impact to set it off. It's totally stable, you can take 'real' tannerite before or after you mix it and throw it on the ground & it wont go off. It was made for sighting in high power rifles, so you can see when you hit the target from long range. For that purpose it was intended, and it works awesome.

ANFO has to be initiated by a larger explosive charge, a bullet or blasting cap will not do it. A home made initiator like a pipe bomb would get it done. Another reason ANFO is so versatile is that it blows at the speed of whatever you initiate it with. If you want to break rock you use a fast blowing dynamite, conversely if you want to lift a stump you need a slow explosion so you use a Kinepak or similar initiator. Kinepaks by the way are a plastic bottle with a cap well and a screw top. They contain ANFO which is not cap sensitive until you add nitromethane. nitromethane is commonly used as fuel for RC models. So the argument about
tannerite is BS, there are many, many other better ways to make stuff blow up

ANFO has to be initiated by a larger explosive charge, a bullet or blasting cap will not do it. A home made initiator like a pipe bomb would get it done. Another reason ANFO is so versatile is that it blows at the speed of whatever you initiate it with. If you want to break rock you use a fast blowing dynamite, conversely if you want to lift a stump you need a slow explosion so you use a Kinepak or similar initiator. Kinepaks by the way are a plastic bottle with a cap well and a screw top. They contain ANFO which is not cap sensitive until you add nitromethane. nitromethane is commonly used as fuel for RC models. So the argument about
tannerite is BS, there are many, many other better ways to make stuff blow up

We used Amonium nitrate fertilizer (poor mans stump powder) with dynamite to lift stumps. Be careful how much you use, as it tends to put the stump into orbit with too much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top