Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

FAL. . .

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by rdt, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rdt

rdt SW Portland Active Member

Bitten by FAL bug . . . would love to build one, anybody else on here build them before?

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yes several! I love them!!

3. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I have built one and love it....if you can find a good kit at a decent price its worth building. However, paying the current going rate for a kit, then buying a receiver, 922 parts, and having it refinished you'd be over the cost of buying one already built.

4. rdt

rdt SW Portland Active Member

Not really worried about refinishing. I take pretty good care of my rifles but i appreciate the patina more than the pretty. But it does seem like buying a kit + barrel + receiver + tools + book = price of a rifle on NWFA. but then it wouldnt be *mine* inside and out. . .

5. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

built a couple dozen. the heyday is over and the gitten aint good anymore.
    the cream of the crop were the stg 58's they were the best junk available.
    most of what i have seen in the last three years is garbage or gold.
    good luck.

6. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

Quite a few of the kits I have seen you would want to refinish, as in there was literally no "finish" left on the barrel and many other parts, these were all Imbel kits though. If you can afford to buy a good kit and build a rifle, don't mind spending more that the actual value of the gun, and just want the experience of building a fal, I say go for it.