JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know reputable the companies out there but they generally won't mess with enterprise fal receivers.

I know technically I can do it myself at home but I was hoping for an experienced person who knows how to do it.

Anyone have the gauges and locking shoulder pieces that can do this for me for a fee?

The two most common issues with Barrel swaps on the FAL is getting them timed properly, and Torqued to spec. (even DSA has issues here), most of the time, they are "Over Clocked" to achieve a mythical torque value, when that's most certainly NOT how it's supposed to be done, and most don't properly shim their barrels to achieve the correct Time AND Torque! THIS doesn't require some highly specialized gun smith, BUT, it does require some knowhow and understanding of how FN originally designed this system to work! To do it correctly, you need to make a jig, having a good drill press and some basic shop power tools tools here will go a LONG ways to getting this right! You want a 'Timing Tool" that clamps to the bolt rails and has an alignment rod to match a threaded alignment rod that threads into the front sight post hole in the upper gas block! You then thread your barrel into the receiver until you start seeing torque, if you do it correctly and your barrel shoulder was cut deep enough, you should over time well before achieving torque, this is what you want, you then measure the angle of over time as close as you can and start stacking shims to bring it back in time while increasing torque until the two come together! Perfection means you got your 80 Foot Pounds of Torque AND it's timed perfectly so that the windage adjustments of your sights are precisely centered. This is the critical part, as it also correctly aligns the gas tube for the piston, so that you don't accelerate the wear of that system and get a life time out of the rifle! Head Spacing is only done AFTER the barrel is torqued and timed, and it's super easy to do!

I never used shims.
I shaved the shoulder till it hand tightened to about 11:00

Most production ones hand tightened to about 9:00 and they just cranked it on till centered.
I cut and split the receiver stubs off, easier than trying to secure it and get it off.

They did the same with the combo devices, just crank them on till centered.
Broke a vice trying to get one off, stuck it in a 60 ton press to hold it and started tipping the press over.

I bought all my FAL tools from guys on the falfiles.
Receiver wrench, barrel vice and timing set. Wound up buying a .250" -- .500" pin gage set from a guy there as well.
When I got out of building them I sold the tools as a set over there too.

If the barrel hasn't been installed with a 10' handle a couple of 2x4's with a hole bored in the middle works as a barrel clamp and then a large adjustable wrench on the receiver.
I set them up to close on a .308 Winchester min headspace gage.
You can figure out what pin gages to get using drill bits as a rough baseline.
If a .251" bit fits good then order pin gages .249", 250, 251, 252, .253"
Not sure who's got locking shoulders now. DSA may sell them.

The locking shoulder hole in the receiver may be loose after a LS has been pressed in.
A ball bearing can be used to close the hole up a bit, use locktite 609 to make sure it stays put.

Well now that I have your attention I should explain I have an enterprise receiver I have two others that shoot fine but this one I got from gunbroker as is from pawn shop. It doesn't load the rounds hit the front on the receiver and it's not unibrow'ed ramp. I tried lots of things filing the rails top and bottom, replaced mag catch and bolt release and all springs. I can get it to load a little bit using the old plastic magazines tapco or whomever made the plastic ones back in the day. I tried6-7 other mags including new dsa metal and polymer and they don't work. It's like the bolt is driving the round forward just a hair too low and of course under full spring action it pushes the bullet back into the round casing a ruining the round. I wanted to try barrel replacement because I can see from receiver side that the barrel has some corrosion or something going on on the chamber but at this point it's likely not the issue rather it's own separate issue. I guess I have a $1000 parts kit for another build. It's a complete rifle so it can hang on the wall but I feel It's so close that it would be worth getting fixed.

At that point I would hang it up.
I was assuming the rifle was already a runner.

If the rest is in good shape I would just get a DSA receiver and start over.
They have a decent selection of barrels now it looks like, along with tools.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top