JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ahoy, reloaders. I'm loading .357 Magnum with 180 gr JHP bullets for hunting. Using H110 and magnum primers, I've loaded up several rounds in a variety of charges incrementally from minimum to maximum in 0.1 gr steps, ready to head to the range with my chronometer. Each bullet is seated to the cannelure and given a heavy crimp ("heavy" according to the Lee crimp die instructions).

So far so good, right? Everything is by the book -- except that the bullets are designed for a .357 MAXIMUM cartridge; not .357 MAGNUM. The cannelure is placed further back on the bullet and my OAL exceeds the published standard of 1.59". My OAL is 1.63" (too long by 0.04"). Despite this, there seems to be plenty of chamber space ahead of each cartridge in my Blackhawk.

Here's my boggle: Is there any reason OTHER THAN concerns about pulling bullets under recoil that I should be worried about? These are heavy bullets -- but I'll be using a heavy gun with a scope. Should I seat the bullets deeper, beyond the cannelure? Seems a shame to let that factory cannelure go to waste...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OA specs for a revolver cartridge is for the gun with the shortest cylinder in the market. Obviously the Ruger isn't the one. Function is the key. If they cycle, shoot 'em. The cast bullet custom mold makers will set up your bullet OA for 1/32 under the cylinder length(based on your revolver) for minimum '"jump".

The only other issue to consider is the amount of bullet below the cannelure. If the bullet puts more into the case then you could have some pressure issues. Put a standard .357 bullet alongside your "Maximum" bullet and see if there is a significant difference in the placement of the cannelure. if the same, and the loaded round doesn't protrude from the front of the cylinder, you should be fine.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top