JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are many items that are absolutely essential to those of us who are preparing for a potential WSTF situation. I want to recommend 2 right here.
The first is a good flashlight. I have a Garrity wind up flashlight. I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. I use it for everything. I keep one by my bedside. I have used it constantly during those years. It has never failed. I have never had to replace batteries or bulbs (it uses LED). I am amazed at its dependability. It's always there. I also keep one in each of my cars. I believe I paid less than $10 for it (might be a bit more now).
Another thing is keeping up with what is going on in the world. Whenever the power goes off it is easy to feel that you are cut off from everything. No TV or radio. It's a strange feeling. So, I recommend a crank radio for those times.
One of the best for the buck that I have seen is the MIDLAND ER102. This is a little gem! It receives AM and FM. It also gets 7 NOAA Weather Channels. This is neat if there is an emergency situation such as a Hurricane, tornado, flooding, tsunami or blizzard, etc occurs. I admit that for those of us in the Northwest, some of those situations may not occur but some will eventually. NOAA comes in loud and clear in this area. The radio can be set to alert you to a declared emergency situation with voice or, with a visual flash with the built in 3 LED flashlight. It comes with a thermometer with a freeze alert. It has a clock with alarm (voice or buzzer). It uses digital tuning.
It has several methods of power. It has a crank power generator to charge the Ni-MH battery pack. It also uses 3 AA batteries. It comes with an AC adapter to use for listening or recharging the battery pack. It has a USB port to recharge cell phones. I could say a lot more about this radio but you should check it out yourself. It is available right now for less than $40.
I want to state that I have NO financial interest in the sale of these items. My recommendation is because I feel that these are tools that everybody should have. I have enough confidence in them that I bought one of each for all of my 6 adult children.
I purchased these items at Bi-Mart. But, I have also seen similar products at Radio Shack. CCrane.com also has comparable items.

Good suggestion. You can still get crystal radios and/or kits to build them. They need no power. They need a long wire 10'? for an antenna and you can use only an earphone, so they are stationary. They work great though. I built one when I was a kid and listened to it at night when I was supposed to be going to sleep. I'd bet Radio Shack has them and they are all over Ebay cheap.

You can also get a solar charged radio or flashlight. You can get wind-up flashlight and radio combos.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to do some research and get those in here.

Today the Rogue Valley is covered with a sheet of ice! It's like a skating rink. There's very little traffic. But, I have to go to work pretty soon! And, there is not much on the TV or radio about the weather and road conditions.
So, I turned on my little Midland radio and tuned to NOAA Weather for the complete and latest weather information. Not exactly an emergencey, but I'm glad I have it.

Today the Rogue Valley is covered with a sheet of ice! It's like a skating rink. There's very little traffic. But, I have to go to work pretty soon! And, there is not much on the TV or radio about the weather and road conditions.
So, I turned on my little Midland radio and tuned to NOAA Weather for the complete and latest weather information. Not exactly an emergencey, but I'm glad I have it.

http://www.weather.com

<broken link removed>

look up CC radio on google they have full kits for wind up powered items.

+1 for C Crane Company. :s0155:

<broken link removed>

I have a CC Witness, an Ipod-type device that can record radio programs. Top notch quality and excellent customer service.

I plan on buying a wind-up emergency radio in the near future.

My $.02

The midland er 102 is on sale thru Friday 12/25 at Bimart. I know, they are not likely to be open friday but this is how the ad reads. $29.95 down from $39.95. Its not in the newspaper ad but the little booklet that comes in the mail.
I picked 1 up yesterday. I listened to the Cowboys vs the Saints on the am band. I had cranked it 25 times and it got me into the 3rd quarter.

The midland er 102 is on sale thru Friday 12/25 at Bimart. I know, they are not likely to be open friday but this is how the ad reads. $29.95 down from $39.95. Its not in the newspaper ad but the little booklet that comes in the mail.
I picked 1 up yesterday. I listened to the Cowboys vs the Saints on the am band. I had cranked it 25 times and it got me into the 3rd quarter.

Bi-Mart is closed Friday, Christmas Day. They do have that little Midland radio for sale at $29.95. It was $39.99 when I bought mine. I just enjoy listening to the weather on it. It's quicker and easier than going on-line. It is shown in a newspaper insert in Medford. Anyhow, I'm glad that you enjoy the radio. It has a lot to offer for such a low price unit. Dario

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews