JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please understand, that I'm new to reloading. I've been reading quite a bit, watching videos, and amassing the tools to perform the task at hand. Here's a list of equipment that I currently have, or it's in a UPS truck to be delivered:

RCBS Rock-chucker
Lee Classic Single Stage

Dies for 223, 45 acp, 9mm, 300 blk, and 6.5-06
RCBS Ultrasonic Cleaner
Lee and RCBS Powder Charges
RCBS Powder Trickler
RCBS Hand Primer
Lee and RCBS Mechanical Scales
Lyman Dry Tumbler
RCBS Media Separator
Dillon Primer Swager
Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Center
I have shellholders for the 9mm and 223 cases and have a couple of lee sets on backorder from Midway
Reloading trays

Still need:
Bullet Puller (recommendations with links much appreciated)
Decapping Die (was thinking about using that little lee press for this since it's not as beefy as the rockchucker)
Case Un-sticker

I've got plenty of brass ready to prep, plenty of primers, powder, and projectiles, just waiting on the media separator to arrive (hopefully tomorrow). Anything missing from the list that's obvious? Any little tricks you've learned along the way that might not be common knowledge, I'd much appreciate. Do you have a chamber pressure gauge or chronograph for testing your loads?

Thanks for any help!

Comments inline
RCBS Rock-chucker
Lee Classic Single Stage
Both of those are outstanding. If the RC is a Jr. keep the Lee. If it's the full deal RC IV, the two are redundant. The RC IV give you the ability to set up the pull arm as either RH or LH. The Lee is less efficient in terms of its stroke. You could also run one as pistol, the other as rifle.

Dies for 223, 45 acp, 9mm, 300 blk, and 6.5-06 Surprised you found 223 dies... Good job.
RCBS Ultrasonic Cleaner zzz Got one (HF), used it, then discovered wet tumbling with stainless pins (Frankford Arsenal). Now use the US bath to clean gun parts - it's awesome for that.
Lee and RCBS Powder Charges Haven't used a Lee Powder disk in >16 years, but they work fantastically for pistol. Given the cartridges you're loading for, you'll probably use both.
RCBS Powder Trickler
RCBS Hand Primer Good choice. If you can find an Old Lee unit those are great too.
Lee and RCBS Mechanical Scales Last Lee scale I had was a total POS. Throw it out and keep the RCBS.
Lyman Dry Tumbler "What did you say? !!" Loud. Works. Some like corn cob, I used walnut from the pet store.
RCBS Media Separator Takes up a lot of space. I used a plastic colander from Dollar Tree.
Dillon Primer Swager Lyman makes a primer pocket / case mouth tool. Highly recommended.
I have shellholders for the 9mm and 223 cases and have a couple of lee sets on backorder from Midway I have a few RCBS #4 (I think that's the number) that will do both 45ACP and 6.5-06.
Reloading trays

Still need:
Bullet Puller (recommendations with links much appreciated) Not really. By the time you need one, you'll have a better idea of which you need. For the mean time, just have a tub of "rounds to be pulled" Over years, mine might get a dozen. It's only when I find my ideal load of an OCW or ladder test that I'll pull a crapload of bullets.
Decapping Die (was thinking about using that little lee press for this since it's not as beefy as the rockchucker)
The Lee decapper works well, but sucks ballz as far as decapper pin life. These break the easiest of all decappers. When I used it exclusively, I ordered a pack of ten decapper pins (that easy to break).
Lyman decappers are great and will work for all cases but large bodies like 338 Lapua
Hornady Decapper will fit every case I've thrown at it.
The RCBS decapper I had broke years ago. It was meh, so never bothered with it.
Case Un-sticker So many ways to skin this cat. I use a modified dent puller from HF. Works great.

I think you may have gone overboard. You can run a decapping die as a separate step or run it through a full sizing die which will have decapper pin already. This sizing die should be already in a standard set. People will use a decapping die with a hardened steel pin to decap military crimped brass.

You also won't need the Lee scale if you already bought the RCBS. Lee products are less superior than RCBS and I am a fan of Lee Precision. I guess its okay as a back up but you'll eventually want RCBS (or Lyman, Hornady, etc.) quality as backup.

As for shell holders, Lee have two sets; one for their hand primer and one for their press. The press will be called 'universal'. Their die set will already have one in that particular caliber. Whether both are interchangeable from RCBS and Lee, I would not know.

What I see missing in your list is calipers. Required to measure OAL and COL lengths. Don't forget the funnel!

As for pointers, I find case prep taking the most time.

edit:
A quality book or two. ABC of Reloading is good introductory book. Most major reloading data books will also have instructions.

Last Edited:
I think you may have gone overboard. You can run a decapping die as a separate step or run it through a full sizing die which will have decapper pin already. This sizing die should be already in a standard set. People will use a decapping die with a hardened steel pin to decap military crimped brass.

You also won't need the Lee scale if you already bought the RCBS. Lee products are less superior than RCBS and I am a fan of Lee Precision. I guess its okay as a back up but you'll eventually want RCBS (or Lyman, Hornady, etc.) quality as backup.

As for shell holders, Lee have two sets; one for their hand primer and one for their press. The press will be called 'universal'. Their die set will already have one in that particular caliber. Whether both are interchangeable from RCBS and Lee, I would not know.

What I see missing in your list is calipers. Required to measure OAL and COL lengths. Don't forget the funnel!

As for pointers, I find case prep taking the most time.

edit:
A quality book or two. ABC of Reloading is good introductory book. Most major reloading data books will also have instructions.

Thank you for the feedback. Some of the duplicate stuff I have is from my dad. He recently bought the little lee classic press and scale for me that he found in Bend. Thank you, I forgot that I had a set of good calipers. But I don't have a funnel.

My nephew-in-law has been a good resource. I was thinking with rifle brass that is necked down, decapping separate from the F/L resizing die would allow me to use the ultrasonic on it so I'm not shoving mud and/or dirt up in my dies if I want the brass decapped prior to cleaning. Then I'd spray lube on the cleaned decapped brass before resizing? I dunno if that's just too many steps, but I just didn't want dried mud in my dry tumbler either if I went the route of dry tumbling before decapping/resizing. That's the type of info I was looking for, little tips that save headaches or if I'm wasting time on stuff that doesn't really matter.

Please understand, that I'm new to reloading. I've been reading quite a bit, watching videos, and amassing the tools to perform the task at hand. Here's a list of equipment that I currently have, or it's in a UPS truck to be delivered:

RCBS Rock-chucker
Lee Classic Single Stage

RCBS Ultrasonic Cleaner
RCBS Powder Trickler
RCBS Hand Primer
Lyman Dry Tumbler
RCBS Media Separator
Dillon Primer Swager
I have shellholders for the 9mm and 223 cases and have a couple of lee sets on backorder from Midway
Reloading trays

Still need:
Case Un-sticker

I've got plenty of brass ready to prep, plenty of primers, powder, and projectiles, just waiting on the media separator to arrive (hopefully tomorrow). Anything missing from the list that's obvious? Any little tricks you've learned along the way that might not be common knowledge, I'd much appreciate. Do you have a chamber pressure gauge or chronograph for testing your loads?

Thanks for any help!
You should consider getting:
Calipers and/or case gauges to make sure your cartridges are the correct length
Lyman Reloading Handbook

Comments inline
Thank you for the tips. I did order the universal lee shellholder sets. If in the meantime you would part ways with your #4's, send me a PM and we could work something out. I'll keep my eye out for a Lyman or Hornady decapping die. Does the lyman case prepping tool do anything that the Frankford Arsenal won't?

Thank you for the tips. I did order the universal lee shellholder sets. If in the meantime you would part ways with your #4's, send me a PM and we could work something out. I'll keep my eye out for a Lyman or Hornady decapping die. Does the lyman case prepping tool do anything that the Frankford Arsenal won't?
No idea what a FA prep center does, so cannot comment.
If you make it up to Beaverton, you can have one of mine (IIRC, I have three). I use a Co-Ax now, and rarely use any .437 shell holders. I use the .532's for the magnum cases in my Lee Classic Cast.

If got the brass off the range ground, tumble, sonic clean, etc. first. Its what it is for.

For military rifle brass next step would be lube, decap using decapping die, trim, anneal, swage, then prime. But you'll need to use neck sizing die instead of full sizing (unless you remove the pin first before sizing or you'll pop the new primer out.) Lube before using any die. For non-military rifle brass (with shoulder), I would use full-size die then trim, anneal (if required) and prime.

For straight wall cartridges, you'll find less trimming needed. Its because with shoulder cases, internal pressure against such shoulder will stretch the case. If switching to a different gun, headspace maybe different.

The next steps would be heavy use of the press: charge, bullet seating and crimping.

After reading your post a little more carefully, I kinda understand your confusion better.

On range pickups, clean them first. Wet tumble then optional vibrator clean before doing anything.

RCBS Rock-chucker
Lee Classic Single Stage

RCBS Ultrasonic Cleaner
RCBS Powder Trickler
RCBS Hand Primer
Lyman Dry Tumbler
RCBS Media Separator
Dillon Primer Swager
Reloading trays

Still need:
Case Un-sticker

Thanks for any help!
been reloading for just a bit over 50 years. realizing now, i did it right. little tricks are learned at the bench while reading a reloading manual. everyone is born with two eyes, you only have one spare after a little trick giggle search.

Congratulations on getting into reloading and having the components necessary to make ammunition, as I am sure you know, they are in short supply currently.

I would add to your list cartridge gauges for each caliber you load for; Gauges allow the user to check their cases and ammo to ensure a correct fit in SAAMI chambers. Cut to SAAMI maximum tolerances, these gauges will ensure your ammo will fit into any correctly cut chamber. Any quality brand of manufacture would be okay, below is an example.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018249683

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads