JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a new AR and would like to put some optics on it. I'm not quite sure if I want an Eotech or a Leupold Mark AR 1.5 - 4x Firedot scope.

Most of my shooting will be at an indoor range. But I might take it to an outdoor range for longer distance shooting periodically. And maybe some rare plinking if I can ever find a "honey pot" type place out in the woods.

My eyes aren't great (I wear glasses) but I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards with iron sights.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?

I like the option of magnification. Jawbone and I have been out recently and have both found it to be child's play to hit a man sized target at 700 yards with 4X. Last Saturday, I shot my AR in the local long range precision rifle match with a 6X scope. I did extremely well considering how much wind we had and the crummy ballistics of a .223 compared to my bolt rifle. I hit many 4" wide steel prairie dog targets at 425 yards.

The Leupy will still be fast up close. The only real compromise is your head position will be more critical with a scope.

If you decide the dot is the way to go, you might also consider an Aimpoint T1 or H1. Having had both that and an EOTech, I'd rate the T1 as far superior. Light, small, and battery life so long they recommend never turning it off.

Last thought on magnification. If target recognition is a concern, magnification is the only way to go.

You could also look at Leatherwood's 1-4X. I forget the name, but it gets good reviews.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top