JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A used Colt Gold Cup National Match should work.
They generally start selling for around $900.00 on up, depending on condition.
Buds has new ones for $1,100.00

Here's one on Gun Auctions that appears to be a sleeper with no bids.

logo.png

BtPVBSSUNJTkcuQ1BNfGJtPUJVWUlORy5HVUFSQU5URUVEVk9MVU1FR09BTHxsYz0yfGx3PTE0NDB8dXI9M1pNUkxuZXR4Rw.gif

COLT SERIES GOLD CUP NATIONAL MATCH 45

Meet the Seller
roe ( 1664 )
Positive Percentage: 100.0%
Location (State):
New Jersey (NJ)
newjersey.gif

Member For:
16 Years 6 Months

favorites-watch.png
$750.00
(NO RESERVE)
[ 0 Bids ]

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13553946

20150815093137-4974.jpg

If you just want to try out some competitive shooting then pick up a cheap 1911 and try it out. You can get a Rock Island tac model for about $500. I've played with a few and they shoot just fine.
If you're planning on diving in head first then get something that has aftermarket support and can be upgraded as your skills develop. In this type of scenario...start looking into other brands that command a higher price tag but also come with a lot of things from the factory (i.e. Springfield, Kimber).
You don't need a Les, Nighthawk, Wilson to get into competitive shooting.

I have a R1 Enhanced and think it is a great gun. I do not shoot competition so I have no idea how it would work in that venue but with what shooting I have done I think it would do quite well. I also have a Kimber Custom II and think the Remington is a much better gun.

Anything mass produced from the basic makers, for the most part would be considered "entry level".

If you're wanting to dive in "head first", avoid the usual makers...Springfield, Kimberly etc, as they won't hold up long term to the rigorous running and gunning stress that can be placed on them. You'll end up replacing failed parts in no time.

If you're just wanting to do the casual, every once on awhile competition shoot...then most anything will work.

What kind of match are you considering ?
I shoot almost all of them, and depending on what division or match is, dcan make a difference.
If your looking to be competitive, it just looking to get out there and shoot a match can made a difference as well.

Just testing the waters so to speak. Didn't want a hugh investment. If I don't like it. I won't have too much invested. Not sure of the match. Don't know enough about the sport just that I would like to try it.

I should go out and watch a match before anything else.

HotRod

What kind of match are you considering ?
I shoot almost all of them, and depending on what division or match is, dcan make a difference.
If your looking to be competitive, it just looking to get out there and shoot a match can made a difference as well.

Just testing the waters so to speak. Didn't want a hugh investment. If I don't like it. I won't have too much invested. Not sure of the match. Don't know enough about the sport just that I would like to try it.

I should go out and watch a match before anything else.

HotRod
If you shoot USPSA, any production hand gun that's at least 9mm is legal. If you're looking at 45, almost any one will do. If you want to double check: <broken link removed>

And yes, observing a match will help.

I will always beat the drum for the Ruger SR1911. it is a heck of a lot of gun for the money. Decide not to continue?? The resale on the Ruger is excellent. If you stay with it, buy a real comp gun and the Ruger is good enough to be a backup.

Thinking of getting into competition pistol. Looking for some suggestions on types of entry level pistol. One I'm looking at is the Remington R1 in 45 acp?

HotRod

Most standard "entry level" .45 ACP semi-auto will do for a starter pistol, even for competition. My suggestion is that if you're fixated on getting a 1911, then get any 1911. However, if you are eventually going to get very serious about pistol competitions (IPSC/IDPA) then just get or use a standard full-sized pistol...

Any reason it has to be a 1911?
Any reason it has to be in .45 ACP?

My first year in IDPA I used my carry piece- Glock 27 (subcompact .40 S&W). I just used standard 15rnd mags. I held my own, for the most part, against guys with their tricked out 1911s and long-slide, custom Glocks just to get schooled by a dude with a Beretta 92 and a ton of mags. The pistol definitely does not make the shooter.

Heck, a Glock 17 would probably suit you better than a cheapo, $500 1911 would (unless, of course, you are trying to get into a single-stack, standard pistol competition).

I eventually got myself a Springfield 1911 TRP Loaded Operator on my second year competing. That was just under $3k. When I left the IDPA scene, she ended up being a safe queen until I traded her for my customized Golani.

[QUOTE="Riot

Any reason it has to be a 1911?
Any reason it has to be in .45 ACP? /QUOTE]

To be honest I always wanted one. If I can shoot it at matches that's a plus. If I like USPSA and really want to I can always up grade. I'm 54 a late bloomer with shooting sports. I already shoot HighPower. Looking for something different I guess.

HotRod

Last Edited:
As far as I'm concerned, "always wanted one" is a perfectly good reason to buy most any gun :D.
If you're thinking about competition, you'll also need to consider the cost of extra mags and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo! Don't worry too much about fancy rigs yet. You can go a very long way with a decent but relatively inexpensive holster and mag holders.

I find competition challenging, rewarding, and a chance to interact with some great people.

Hey Hot Rod, I will give you my 2 cents. Gold cup is not a good
45 for action pistol competition. It has an extra spring and part on
the sear. A Gold Cup is set up more for Bullseye type competition. I have owned and used over a dozen different 1911s over the years in
IPPSC and steel plate matches. I would recommend the Ruger 1911
hard to beat for the money. The newer Kimbers I do not like the
firing pin safety mechanism they use. And the Kimbers are too
exspensive. My second choice would be a Springfield Armory
1911. The light crisp 1911 trigger is hard to beat in competition.
I am a big fan of M & Ps the ported competition model I fondled
at Sportsman's had a excellent trigger. Hard choices to make.
Hope to see you again at the next rifle match at DRRC.

My second choice would be a Springfield Armory
1911. The light crisp 1911 trigger is hard to beat in competition.
I am a big fan of M & Ps the ported competition model I fondled
at Sportsman's had a excellent trigger.

The Springfield's do have a nice trigger right out of the box. Very crisp.
The M&P's are a popular choice as well with the comp community.
You may also want to consider the CZ 75 SP-01 pistols. They're making a push.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top