JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your thinking of bullseye than a 1911 is a good start. The full size Springfields seem to be the most likely to work out of the box. Of all the common pistols on the market 1911's are the most likely to have issues out of the box regardless of price point. I've seen 200-300 come through classes and they are by far the most problematic. My own 1911's took work and my Goldcup took a complete rebuild inside 2000 rounds.

As mentioned above the best "starter" pistol for most people thinking of USPSA/IDPA/SpeedSteel/3 Gun (the action oriented competitions) is a Glock 17 or 34. Most likely to work out of the box, lower starting price point, plenty of quality aftermarket upgrades and accessories and fits the type of competitions in several divisions.

go rock island and then upgrade what you need to. perfectly in budget and you can tune what you need to according to budget. I've heard of lots of guys doing this.

I second the R1 and SR1911 for your entry level 1911. Both have very nice triggers for an out of the box 1911, I own an R1 and its just crossed over 1,000 rounds. Be prepared for the "My gun sucks" break in but use good mags i.e. Wilson, and you'll be happy.

I shot my Springfield Loaded for years in IPSC and 3 gun. Totally stock except for the Chip McCormick 10 rounders. Never failed once.
Now Ive got a Sig Tac Ops 1911 and its amazing.
Shoot what feels good in your hand.

I have a Remington R1, it's a good beginner competition shooter. I have picked up perfectly reliable name brand 1911 magazines for $10-$20. holsters and upgrades abound for this platform on shelves en every store. I have no complaints, it's great right out of the box. I love it, I shoot well with it, it's reliable and accurate. I would trust it with my life.

For the same money, you can get an FNX45. I like it better than the 1911 for the bigger sights and the 3-15 round magazines it comes with. The caveat here being, additional mags will cost you $50 a mag. Holsters and mag holders are more specific to the gun so you typically have to order and generally pay more for accessories. I would hands down use the FNX45 it over the 1911 for 3 gun.

I'm not knocking Sigs, Glocks, Kimbers, RIA or any other gun. Just speaking from my own limited experience. It's the beauty of the age we live in, so many awesome choices out there! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top