JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question? When you open a door to clear the room what do you recommend. Look left or right? Gaze straight ahead and use peripheral? I tried this with my kids with squirt guns and got tagged several times. Recommendations?
P.S. Door opening out or in.
Thank you.

The worse case i can think of would be a center door room with a lightweight door swinging in and bounces back and you got 1 bad guy in each of the 2 blind corners hiding behind concealment with their fingers already on the trigger and taking 4 of the 5 lbs off the trigger just waiting for you to break the plane of the doorway and you also have to clear it by yourself. Forget this room. It's not worth your life.

barrel of gun needs to arrive through door same time as your eye sees target, eye and barrel, target acquisition need to all be together.. also watch your feet, don't let one of your feet enter door before barrel of gun and shooting eye. I used to get tagged all the time in training by my instructor, cause I couldn't keep my foot from showing up thru door way, ahead of my barrel. "aahh I can still hear his screaming voice, and intimidating demeanor.. WHAT THE HEEL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!! MY GRANMA SHOOTS BETTER THAN YOU AND SHES 82!!!!!.while standing about 2 inches from my face... I miss that mean, muscle bound, D.I.

We start introducing how to open/enter doors and negotiate corners, windows - working within enclosed structures using our No Name City and the Adjudicator in our Defensive Handgun 2 at OFA. You'll get two runs thru the Adjudicator in the class - once in a Simulated Scenario Based Force-on-Force against human actors and the second time using live fire against photographic threats, potential threats and no-shoots. It is like an educational Disneyland with guns!! Lots of fun but more importantly you'll learn what strategy and tactics work and which ones don't. The kids won't ambush you after this class!!

We'd be honored to have you at the Academy!!

We start introducing how to open/enter doors and negotiate corners, windows - working within enclosed structures using our No Name City and the Adjudicator in our Defensive Handgun 2 at OFA. You'll get two runs thru the Adjudicator in the class - once in a Simulated Scenario Based Force-on-Force against human actors and the second time using live fire against photographic threats, potential threats and no-shoots. It is like an educational Disneyland with guns!! Lots of fun but more importantly you'll learn what strategy and tactics work and which ones don't. The kids won't ambush you after this class!!

We'd be honored to have you at the Academy!!

Warning - Training with OFA is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Take DH2, then you'll take DH3...then you find yourself stalking their website at OREGONFIREARMSACADEMY.com late at night, trying to score a spot in Advanced Handgun tactics or NightFire. Then you find those are only gateway classes into Carbine and Shotgun. I don't say this lightly that I've never had so much fun and learned so much ever in my life - and I say that as a current LEO and having grown up in the wilds of Idaho and IBAGAOML....
Adrenaline, Fun, Safe, and an absolutely awesome learning environment.

The worse case i can think of would be a center door room with a lightweight door swinging in and bounces back and you got 1 bad guy in each of the 2 blind corners hiding behind concealment with their fingers already on the trigger and taking 4 of the 5 lbs off the trigger just waiting for you to break the plane of the doorway and you also have to clear it by yourself. Forget this room. It's not worth your life.

Clearing a room.... you are correct. One of the most adrenalin filled things you can do, so don't. A grenade, Flash bang, or frag, but a missile would be better :)
Someone in a room expecting you is going to kill you in most cases.
They have the complete advantage.
A dark room reduces your survival rate from 4% to about zero.

They don't call them fatal funnels for nothing.

BTW Dave Spaulding will be in Bend Sept. 7-8 if anyone is interested in training with him.

Use a dog. Let the dog distract the suspect inside the room. It wont matter if the dog is trained or not the dog will generally go to where the suspect is to say hello. Now you will know where the suspect is and he will be distracted by the dog's presence to allow you time to get in the room but you will have to be quick.

If you don't have a dog use a neighbor kid (just joking). Wait for the police to show up.

Clearing a room.... you are correct. One of the most adrenalin filled things you can do, so don't. A grenade, Flash bang, or frag, but a missile would be better :)
Someone in a room expecting you is going to kill you in most cases.
They have the complete advantage.
A dark room reduces your survival rate from 4% to about zero.

What is stated here is pretty much correct. All military doctrine teaches the basic principle that it is easier to hold ground than it is to take it (meaning it is easier to take up a defensive possition and wait for the enemy to come to you than it is for you to come to him).

However, you do have the homefield advantage...most burglars have no idea what the layout of your home is or even if you're home. If you manage to hear some "bump" in the night, the element of surprise may still be on your side. Nevertheless, this is quickly lost by "racking a shotgun round" or scanning the area with a flashlight.

My first suggestion in these situations is to just hold were you are, call the police and create a defensive. Nevertheless, this may not always be suitable, especially considering you may have other people in your house (i.e. children in other rooms) that you want to get to before they do.

In these cases, slow, methodical and quiet searchers are in order. Don't give your possition away (via flashlight or noise) unless you have to. Slice the pie when coming accross danger areas and above all else, practice it and get trained on it!

Room clearing is a skill, not something you can read a few books or watch a few videos on. Get some friends involved to hide throughout your house as well- see if you can spot them before they spot you.

Question? When you open a door to clear the room what do you recommend. Look left or right? Gaze straight ahead and use peripheral? I tried this with my kids with squirt guns and got tagged several times. Recommendations?
P.S. Door opening out or in.
Thank you.

Use a 12ga. "master key" to open the door, then toss in a M67 frag to clear the room. ;)

Umm... I don't know what your houses are made of, but rifle bullets will go right through drywall with plenty of force to kill people on the other side.

Isn't this why you installed a wireless security camera system and have an iphone mounted to the side of your AR? It's kinda like a ghetto corner-shot.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top