JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off sorry if this is in the wrong place, I figured it a "legal" question.

I work at a machine shop and have done some off-road parts for a buddy that I engraved his company logo in them. A friend of his asked if I could engrave his lower for him. I have never done anything firearm related for other people, so is it legal for me to engrave his lower for him?
Thanks.

The only issue I see is that the transferring of a firearm from he to you, then back to him.

"Supposedly" the logic behind the prohibition of that action is:
He "could" commit a crime or be charged with something in the lag time between him giving you a firearm and you in turn giving it back to him where as he would normally be denied because of any said charge/conviction. So a BGC is usually required unless he is present during.

So long as they are present during the process and the serial number isn't defaced there isn't an issue or so Ive been told.

Aside from that have fun.

No problem with him hanging out while I engrave it. He's a local LEO and needs his name, city and state on there for a SBR.

The only issue I see is that the transferring of a firearm from he to you, then back to him.

"Supposedly" the logic behind the prohibition of that action is:
He "could" commit a crime or be charged with something in the lag time between him giving you a firearm and you in turn giving it back to him where as he would normally be denied because of any said charge/conviction. So a BGC is usually required unless he is present during.

So long as they are present during the process and the serial number isn't defaced there isn't an issue or so Ive been told.

Aside from that have fun.

So whats this? Are you not legally with in the law if your friend was going shooting and you let him borrow one of your weapons? Huh...I would have never thought.o_O

So whats this? Are you not legally with in the law if your friend was going shooting and you let him borrow one of your weapons? Huh...I would have never thought.o_O
In this case it may be considered a sort of 'manufacturing' by the ATF since work is being done on the lower. Far different than lending for use, at least in the eyes of .gov.

THere's no manufacturing going on - he's just adding the legally required text to the lower for his friend to build an SBR. The text has to be engraved on the lower - and any engraver can do this. It is not making any alteration to the firearm in a functional way.

THere's no manufacturing going on - he's just adding the legally required text to the lower for his friend to build an SBR. The text has to be engraved on the lower - and any engraver can do this. It is not making any alteration to the firearm in a functional way.
Notice post #3 above. This is for an SBR and the ATF considers registering a general AR lower as an SBR lower as manufacturing.

Registering - the named person is the manufacturer. The engraver is not manufacturing anything. He is not making any functional change. Abd the lower must be engraved before any "manufacturing" takes place.

Without a short length upper, the lower is just a lower. It's not a SBR, so you can give it to anyone who is legal to posess a firearm. Regardless of when a stamp is approved.

A SBR lower that has an associated form and entry in the NFA registry is still an SBR until it is removed from the registry and the ATF is notified. Even putting a 16" upper on a SBR lower won't make it a title 1 firearm again unless you tell the ATF that it is a permanent change.

To the OP:

Before stamp returns: any person can engrave the firearm and have it left in their possession.

After stamp returns: any person can engrave the firearm but it can't be left in their possession unless they are a SOT, gunsmith, or listed in the trust/LLC/corp that owns the firearm.

Putting the upper on the lower is the "manufacturing," not the engraving of the lower. The "manufacturer" has to engrave their info on the firearm, not the engraver's info.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to make sure I was good to go with him waiting there. Like I said over never done any firearm work for anyone but myself.
On a side note, how about engraving 80% lowers?

Del- yes and no. Yes it remains in the system as a "SBR", a title II firearm until permanently removed from the registry.
No, possession of the lower by itself does not constitute possessing a SBR. I can take a Registered SBR lower across state lines WITHOUT a F20 as long as it IS NOT in a SBR configuration. I can loan it to my buddy with a 16" upper and its not a transfer and completely legal.

It is only a SBR when in a SBR configuration.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to make sure I was good to go with him waiting there. Like I said over never done any firearm work for anyone but myself.
On a side note, how about engraving 80% lowers?

I would say if you're going that route you're even safer than having him there with a finished lower. An 80% is nothing more than a lump of metal, technically.

Eagle

SCARed thanks for the heads up, I'm with you on most of the points. I found an <broken link removed> that spells it out. However, according to the ATF's website, if you retain the parts necessary parts to build the SBR it is still a SBR. I can see the legal ways around it, but personally won't open myself up to the liability and possibility of legal issues. IANAL YMMV

Nick, anyone can send, receive, and engrave 80% lowers. I just sent 2 to CA to be engraved (CA is a minor nightmare for shipping firearms).

SCARed thanks for the heads up, I'm with you on most of the points. I found an <broken link removed> that spells it out. However, according to the ATF's website, if you retain the parts necessary parts to build the SBR it is still a SBR. I can see the legal ways around it, but personally won't open myself up to the liability and possibility of legal issues. IANAL YMMV

Nick, anyone can send, receive, and engrave 80% lowers. I just sent 2 to CA to be engraved (CA is a minor nightmare for shipping firearms).

If you want to send them to Yakima get a hold of me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top