JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got this in a trade and was wondering about value or interest in it. I'm not really into old military rifles, this one looks pretty good compared to many I have seen.
Marked No-4 M-1 with the word 'aloha' stamped below?? Any info as to value etc. would be appreciated..Again I know very little about these....
Thanks, Ken

100_1108.jpg

100_1110.jpg

:D about 100.00 ill take it. just joking i think there in the 250 to 400 dollar bracket now days i might be wrong some one will be by soon who knows more about this type but ive seen them between those prices . i did buy my first one for 100.00 about 15 years ago

Lot's of good info passed on here, beginning to have a little more respect for this rifle. Also on the side of the action where it is marked No-4 Mk-1 just below in small letters is the word 'aloha'. I understand the word but not why it is there??
Any ideas??

Thanks...

I have 2 Enfields. A 1917 #1 Mark III and a 1950's #4 Mark II. Both are EXCELENT shooters, and they work just like that day they were made. The .303 round is no joke, and I have little doubt that it would still neutralize threats and put food on the table. If you have a nice Enfield that still shoots good, I'd say you should keep it with some ammo, they're real good guns.

$89 back in late 80's.First 7 round from the gun,5 went thru a milk jug at 200 paces.First time I had shot one of those.
Wish I would have kept that rifle.
I have seen them from the $200 range to $400,but haven't actually seen one leave so don't know what they "sell" for

I believe the 303 british is comparable to the 30 06 right?

$89 back in late 80's.First 7 round from the gun,5 went thru a milk jug at 200 paces.First time I had shot one of those.
Wish I would have kept that rifle.
I have seen them from the $200 range to $400,but haven't actually seen one leave so don't know what they "sell" for

Sorta, but the .30-06 is slightly stronger and faster. Not too much of a difference anyway.

But is most cases the .303 has more than enough power for most everything.

About 2,500 FPS firing a 174-grain bullet. (Standard military ammo)

My dad shot a .303 British from the early 1960's through the mid 90's when I bought him a new rifle.
Back then, in one bullet weight the 303 was the equal of the 06, but in all others it lagged behind. These days the 06 has gained some ground on the faster magnums. The rear locking action of the SMLE rifles does not lend itself well to "hot-rodding" so it's pretty much what it always has been, where some of the 06 loads will poke a 180 gr at 2800fps.
The 303 British and the 30-40 Krag are nearly twins ballistically.
This is really "splitting hairs".
That said, I also agree that the 303 is enough gun for most anything you need a rifle for.

below in small letters is the word 'aloha'. I understand the word but not why it is there??

Possibly the importers name, I have one No4 marked that way.

I can't tell what the manufacturer of your No4 is but it's a Brit, Faz, BSA or Maltby. I would need to see a clear pic of the left side of the receiver. I would value this rifle in the $250 area, depending on how many original parts, is it numbers matching, etc.

Prices can be as low as $150 for a Greek import beater or as high as $6-800 for a new MkII. 4-5K for the sniper version.

I have 20 LE's, no two alike, well that's a lie, two are alike.

twins.jpg
finished01.jpg
Tanker10.jpg
collection01.jpg
collectiom02.jpg
K25faz1.jpg

One thing for sure..............the British used a lot of wood on these guys. At least this model.
The bore seemed to be a bit leaded-up but cleaned up really bright and looks great. I think there is a ladder type sight that goes on these from a couple of pictures I have seen, this one has a flip type peep. (maybe missing the ladder)
Keep the info coming.....all appreciated.

One thing for sure..............the British used a lot of wood on these guys. At least this model.
The bore seemed to be a bit leaded-up but cleaned up really bright and looks great. I think there is a ladder type sight that goes on these from a couple of pictures I have seen, this one has a flip type peep. (maybe missing the ladder)
Keep the info coming.....all appreciated.

The ladder sights come in several variations. You can find them on evil bay and should run $25+/-, although some rare ones can fetch several hundred, just because of a stamp mark.
LESights01.jpg
LESights.jpg
Enfieldsighttypes.jpg

Leave it to the Brits to mark the named "Mark 3" as MKII and the "Mark 4" as MK3

You can also get a Parker-Hale or AJ Parker backsight. These run $100-250 depending on condition. More adjustment than most people need, they do have a very high cool factor.
PH5C01.jpg
PH5C02.jpg
AJP02.jpg

No wonder you dont see many of these anymore......Madcrate has cornered the market on them.
The only mark on the action on this one is No 4 M 1, with aloha under it. The wrist strap is stamped Q1690 with a 5 a bit lower.
Also M 194? above..........bolt is stamped N67 MK 11. I cant find anything else??

You call that an Enfield collection? Pfft! Where's your 2A1?

Seriously, a fine assemblage Madcrate.

Keith

I forgot.

Isshy03.jpg
khyberpass01.jpg

The wrist strap is stamped Q1690 with a 5 a bit lower.

IF that's the original serial number it's a 1942 BSA-Shirley...maybe. Look for a M47 or M47C. These all have been through various rebuilds and repairs. There was no care taken in matching part manufacturers as all parts interchange. Rifles with a "A" suffix on the serial number well contain one or more "Non standard" parts, usually a pin in the FCG.

I consider my LE collection very small. I do have MkI's from all builders, and MkI*'s from both LB and Savage. Also the MkI/3 from LB and a MkI/2 from Faz. I still need a MkI/3 from Savage and need to see if any BSA or Maltby's got the MkI/2 rebuild. I do have too many MkII's, I got sucked into collecting by "contracts" it's a deep dark hole.

Two No5's and need two more to cover all variations. I stay away from the No1's That's a black hole I don't want to go in to.

Thanks I will look for more numbers and markings, what does the N67 on the bolt mean (actually it's on the wing?) Are there more numbers under the stock?
Really appreciate your input....Ken

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads