JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem with EMP radiation is that it comes from the sky and hits every little integrated circuit and wire at the same time. By the time this thing sucks out all of that pulsed power the damage may have been done. If the EMP comes from a solar flare, the length of the pulse(s) may vary greatly. Their FAQ's don't say for how long of an event this thing is effective for. While a nuke based EMP would be fairly short in duration, one coming from a solar flare could go on for hours or longer.

The problem with EMP radiation is that it comes from the sky and hits every little integrated circuit and wire at the same time. By the time this thing sucks out all of that pulsed power the damage may have been done. If the EMP comes from a solar flare, the length of the pulse(s) may vary greatly. Their FAQ's don't say for how long of an event this thing is effective for. While a nuke based EMP would be fairly short in duration, one coming from a solar flare could go on for hours or longer.

Yes with s solar flare for hours it cannot protect against that. We will eventually have another, "Carrington Event".

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia

I don't know if a surge protector would be of help in an EMP event, since the radiation is blanketing an area rather than just coming in through the wires. If it only came into a building through the connected wires, then it might work.

Here's a fellow who's done some testing:

You all laugh at us weirdos driving computerless old POS cars until an EMP happens. Or us who prefer mechanical locks on their safes... Or really anything and everything analog we can come up with.

Hey, my 67 F250 resembles that remark...:D
D7F382F3-B7D4-4936-8F78-80A227BB9328.jpeg

EMP Comission Report: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

Highlights:
  • You car will not likely be affected
  • Communications equipment will have the greatest adverse effect. Keep antennas disconnected on radios except when in use. I keep backup comms in an old microwave since they have a built in Faraday cage.
  • Power grid vulnerable. Good thing President Trump recently issued an EO about protecting critical infrastructure from EMP's, though it will take years to complete: Trump Signs EMP Preparedness Executive Order - The Organic Prepper
Keep in mind this is for an EMP. A CME like the Carrington Event mentioned above is a whole 'nuther level.

Well, at least one of my bicycles doesn't need electricity.

Seriously, I read (listened to the audiobook) about a post limited-nuke strike somewhere in the NE US. The main character had access to a classic car that still ran after everything else on the road went tits up. One sobering takeaway was loss of power for refrigeration, food, etc., and a sudden drastic insulin shortage for his family. And battles to secure those dwindling resources. I forget the title, but it was a clever look at what we might encounter from even the crudest off-target hi-altitude pulse lobbed from Bedrock (or N Korea).

Last Edited:
Hats. We'll all need comfy hats.

View attachment 583172

Man made EMP may or may not happen (I never bet against human stupidity), but eventually we WILL take another CME head on. It came close just a few years ago. Carrington-class CME Narrowly Misses Earth | Science Mission Directorate

It's likely, though, that the overdue 9+ Cascadia event will happen sooner:
Small tremors along West Coast could lead to 'big one'
The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest

IMO the tinfoil is a fashion accessory for those who live in denial and think that not only are they safe, but the government will have the resources to fix everything before the average three days of food people keep on hand is used up.

A quote from the second link:
"Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA's Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, "Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.""

I'm still astonished that people worry about unproven cow fart theories and ignore stark realities like some drunk that is certain the red light will turn green before he blasts through the intersection a few feet in front of him.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top