JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always had problems with regular "ear muff" type attenuators being too large and being almost not usable when firing rifles. The main issue is that the ear muffs make contact to the rifle stock before my cheek reaches the cheek rest. Are there any good ear protection products out there that are effective and that do not get in the way for bench shooting? Recommendations from personal experience would be great. I have slight hearing loss now so don't want to add to that, especially when shooting large bore.

GS

I have the same issue. I'll move the stock side muff cup around, kind of up and back, to help keep it sealed on my noggin. Depending on the stock it may not be possible. If that's the case, use an ear plug on that side, too.

Yep. I actually use both inner-ear protection and muffs. The muffs I have are the style that wrap around your neck (not over the head) but the muff "cups" are in the same location on the ear.

HD_1023.jpg

Cheap foam is as good honestly but people like to spend.

Yep. I've spent plenty of money on different hearing protection devices but I keep coming back to the foam inserts you can buy by the 100s for ten bucks and yet still provide greater attenuation than more expensive products.

That said, Amazon is delivering to me today a $100+ Walker Razor-XV today -- hoping it works while hunting. :)

Depends on the rifle for me. I use electronic ear muffs so I can actually hear the conversation when at the range. They work when I shoot my Tikka but have to move them around when shooting the AR-10.

I gets annoying but I just carry some foam ear plugs just in case.

It seems like everyone is using some variation of the same idea. I like the way regular and electronic muffs perform, I just don't like the bulk of the "cups" and how they get in the way of the stock. I have to be careful on rifles that have a decent finish on the wood because the muff ear cups can cause scratches. I suppose I could add one of the shot-shell elastic bands and use that as a protective cover and go ahead and use the muffs I have. It seems like a low profile and / or soft cup design ear muff has merit.

The rifles that I have less problems with are usually the ones that have a cheek rest.

That makes sense since the rest is slight above the surface of the stock. I do have one of the leather lace-on cheek rests on my M-1 and I still have the same issue (just not quite as bad).

I've moved to wearing double protection at all times practical. Foam 33nrr and muffs over top.

Grew up hunting and never wore them, took a hearing test at work once and my right ear is noticeably damaged.

Only exception is when I hunt, only foams or electronic in. I also extend this to weed eating, mowing, leaf blowing, power washing etc. I'm overly protective at this point.

None of my weps would lose any pristine value with a scuffed finish from a plastic ear cup, but I know many here would. So maybe drape a clean shoprag, washcloth or shammy over the cheekpiece to protect it?

Personally, I double up ear pro a lot. I leave my foam plugs in the whole time I'm at the range because others might be shooting, even several yards away. Conversation is muffled, but at least I'm somewhat protected when some yahoo does a magdump 3 stations away. Then I add ear cup "deadphones" over the foamies when I'm ready to shoot.

This especially because any sort of roof over a shooting bench tends to reflect and double aural impact. I don't need to wreck my hearing (or my drawers) with amplified centerfire racket.

I've moved to wearing double protection at all times practical. Foam 33nrr and muffs over top.

Grew up hunting and never wore them, took a hearing test at work once and my right ear is noticeably damaged.

Only exception is when I hunt, only foams or electronic in. I also extend this to weed eating, mowing, leaf blowing, power washing etc. I'm overly protective at this point.

You're a smart guy JSM. Most of us grab a tool and think nothing about the noise because "its only going to be used for a short time". I try to be as you described but still fall short (not with my guns though). I have also lost hearing so am much better with protection than I used to be. Between guns, rock concerts in younger days, drag racing and other auto sports all on top of spending a lot of time in a gun mount on a destroyer pumping out rounds, it stands to reason my hearing isn't the best. The frequency of hearing I've lost is in the high range (where my wife speaks!).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top