JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Having grown to dislike what the sun does thermally to my black rifles, I've been pondering addressing the issue by getting one or two painted dark earth/tan color. I've seen lots of adds for DuraCoat or Cerakote for firearms, but have no first hand experience.

Anyone have any opinions on DuraCoat vs Cerakote when doing AR style firearms? Any opinions on which is better, worse or how it effects the fit and function of them?

Lastly, anyone recommend an outfit that does good jobs with them? Something that will last a long time through moderate use? (2500 to 3000 +/- rounds ) a year?

Cerakote. Better durability, even when both are applied properly. I've had three or four AR's done and seen enough other guns done. Any coating will wear on sharp edges, but with the Cerakote (and I'm sure with some of the other bake-on products as well) the product is still protecting, even at wear points. My lever action truck gun is cerakoted currently. After over a year riding in the truck (keep in mind I don't abuse it), an elk season, and a deer season, the wear points are on the outside edges of the muzzle and on the lever pivot point.

As for applicators, probably anyone with the factory certification is safe to use. My preference is for Jeff Nye at Commercial Ceramic Coatings in Bend. He has done several rifles for me, and I've been happy with his work. His prices are fair, especially if you do the disassembly/reassembly. He has a full commercial spray booth and oven, so I feel more confident that a guy doing it in his garage. Just my opinion. Jeff's number is 541-323-2902. In the interest of full disclosure, I do occasionally do gunsmithing for Jeff, so I might be biased, but I have been using him for longer than I've done work for him, and I've always been happy with his work.

Here's a rifle he did for me a few years back.

P1020352_zpsbfbf9522.jpg

Definitely cerakoat, I use it in my shop and have sprayed countless firearms. Like mtn bear said, any finish Will wear especially if treated bad but cerakoat seems to hold up real well to everything I've put it through.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top