JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Myth Busters did a show on that, the story about the Bear. To test it they made wings for a plane out of just the tape and the damn thing did fly. I have long kept some of the tape around as it works to so many damn quick repairs

I knew a guy who bought a Piper Tri-Pacer (fabric-covered airplane) in Georgia sight-unseen. When he went to fly it home to Oregon, he found that the fabric on the wings was rotten. :eek: He used strips of duct tape to reinforce the fabric over each wing rib and a strip halfway in between the ribs. A few strips in strategic places on the fuselage, and off he went! No failures along the way. :) BTW, he was a risk-taker in many ways, flying being only one.

Yea, they may be tough but his is borderline nuts. Ok, it barely moves though the air, because it's a Cub, but it does not take much to spin in when things fail. When he hit the trees that aileron was bent, so all cables and pulleys and any joints would be stressed.

You fly. Would you do this? I would not.

No real surprise here, Super Cubs are pretty tough! I have seen a lot worse, and they still flew it out of the bush!

Yea, they may be tough but his is borderline nuts. Ok, it barely moves though the air, because it's a Cub, but it does not take much to spin in when things fail. When he hit the trees that aileron was bent, so all cables and pulleys and any joints would be stressed.

You fly. Would you do this? I would not.
Heck yea, I would fly it out! There is plenty of strength in that wing spar and jury struts! Besides, the Super Cubs are so dang strong and stable and that wing makes so much lift, it wouldn't take all that much to keep it flying!
Buddy stuffed his Mauly in the weeds this last weekend, buggered up his prop pretty bad, and we had to find some one that had ether a spare prop, or a set of blades, and he had to spend a few nights out there in the bush until we could get him fixed so he could fly it out of there! A helicoptor would have cost him $1300 per hour to go haul that plane out to a road, which would have been a 12 mile trip, the total cost of fetching that plane would have cost him about $12,000 just to get it hauled out to a road. then have to take it apart and load it on a flat bed and get special wide load permits just to haul it 23 miles back to the air field he is out of!

Now, imagine what it would cost to haul a plane out of the wilds in Alaska 100+ miles from nowhere, Yup, I would sure as hell take the risk and fly it out!
There was a pilot up near Sitka who buggered up his Super Cub pretty badly, broke his nice Culver wood prop and bent his wing and landing gear pretty bad, took him and a couple of buddies a week or so, but they managed to fly it out to a road and then could fix it better, enough to get it back home! They taped and wired that propeller back together enough to be able to get off the ground and had some drift wood tied to the landing gear to keep the now repaired prop out of the dirt!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top