JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reviews are decent. Nothing wrong with any one I have ever had any experience with. I believe that resale may not be great, as most consider it a mid-tier gun. Probably a great first AR.

For a beginner, I would say the Oracle is perfect especially if you can get it at 500 or less. I own one and have not had any issues with it. No failure of any kind with about 1000 rounds through it. It is about 6 years old and don't think they've changed much with the new ones. A while back I bought an anderson ar15 from fishermans and I swear it's the same gun. If you have the patience to learn and/or don't care about matching parts then you can certainly build a much better ar15 for about the same price of an Oracle or cheaper.

Sounds like a good gun for $500. I picked up a Sporticle in 7.62 a few years ago. It has run fine. There was nothing outstanding about it. I found only two things that I didn't like: The forend is a little thick and the trigger was sub par. If the 5.56 is the same quality, it would make an OK first AR. If I could get a Smith & Wesson Sport II for the same money, I'd take the S&W.

I picked up a DPMS Sportical for my first AR. I was lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price during the last scare. I've had no issues or regrets (500+ rnds). I used it as a platform to build my next one. Started with the upper first, and used the DPMS lower to break in the barrel. Built the lower later. If you buy, you will want to upgrade the trigger soon afterwards. Use what you save to get one now along with optics. Not a bad starter IMHO.

I picked one up at Sportsmans last year on black friday and it has had zero issues. About 1000 rounds down the pipe. Was my first AR at the time and I think it was a great choice for such. They had the AR 10 version for I think $699. Might be worth a look at Sportsmans flyer if that route interests you. Sportsmans in Salem had a pretty short line last year too...

Only thing to be wary of is your intended optic choice for the rifle. The lower height railed gas block necessitates use of both a metal and taller front sight if you want one. These are usually quite a bit more expensive and much lower variety to choose from. If using a scope or red dot, most people will just ditch the buis so it isn't really a concern.

I bought one about 5 years ago. Two issues with it. The dust cover won't close due to the notch in the upper being too shallow (as best I could tell). It does not like Cabela's Herters brand steel cased ammo but no problem with brass cased. The steel cases get stuck in the chamber once in a while after firing and have to be tapped out with a cleaning rod.
Orygunholster brings up another good point about the front gas block if you want to use iron sights vs. a scope or red dot. The rail on the gas block is lower than the rail for the rear sight.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR