JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Morning attack just latest in string of downtown assaults

Three weeks ago, David Watkins, president of the Seattle Hotel Association, was asking pointed questions at a forum of Seattle mayoral candidates about downtown crime and street disorder.

Friday morning, on his way to a 9 a.m. meeting at the city’s tourism office, Watkins was assaulted at Third Avenue and Pike Street, in the heart of the city’s retail district and a main corridor between downtown and Pike Place Market.

Watkins said the suspect was angry, swearing loudly and had just struck another pedestrian in the neck before crossing the street and punching Watkins in the back and shoving him into the street.

King County sheriff's deputies on duty nearby pulled the man off a bus and turned him over to the Seattle police. The suspect, a 28-year-old with an address in unincorporated King County, has a lengthy arrest record and several misdemeanor convictions, including for assault, theft and malicious mischief.

For Watkins, who also is the general manager of the Inn at the Market, the question is how long low-level crime, open-air drug dealing, drug use, panhandling and disorderly conduct will continue.

“It’s not about me. It’s about what happens downtown to our locals and visitors. Overall crime may be down in the city, but low-level crime continues to be a problem,” he said. “It’s got to stop.”

A woman was badly beaten and kicked by three other young women in the middle of the afternoon Tuesday at Westlake Park. Three suspects were detained by police, but witnesses weren’t able to make a positive identification and the suspects were released.

Several stabbings have been reported in the past few weeks at Victor Steinbrueck Park, a scenic overlook north of the Market, and a popular gathering place for the homeless.

The stabbings erupted from disputes between park regulars, said Ben Franz-Knight, executive director of the Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority.

“It’s a challenge. Having more patrol officers on the street who know the area and have relationships with the people here would help.”

The Market has private security around the clock.

Both Watkins and Franz-Knight praised Seattle police West Precinct Commander Capt. Jim Dermody and said he and his officers have been responsive to problems.

In a blog post Thursday, Dermody wrote that police have seen a “significant and consistent drop in reported crime and disorder” as measured by 911 calls. But he also noted that downtown is shared by daily office workers, shoppers, cruise-ship passengers, sports fans and residents, as well as the homeless who reside in the many nonprofit shelters and day centers.

“All of the diverse use of the same spaces can create challenges and competing interests,” Dermody wrote.

The problem of crime downtown has emerged as an issue in the Seattle mayor’s race. Former City Councilmember Peter Steinbrueck has called for resuming the neighborhood policing plan that calls for hiring 250 more patrol officers. Businessman Charlie Staadecker has called for more enforcement and arrests. Greenwood neighborhood activist Kate Martin has questioned the concentration of social-service agencies downtown.

Mayor Mike McGinn has defended his Center City Initiative that has brought together police, social-service providers and business owners to address underlying problems and divert some low-level offenders to drug, alcohol and mental-health treatment.

Lynn Thompson: 206-464-8305 or [email protected]. On Twitter @lthompsontimes

I'm a Kali instructor and always pack a serious walking stick along with firearms.. that would be a hilarious encounter, only wish it could then go viral on youtube like this one has..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that about three good ones in the ribs should have been included! This would accomplish.
1. Slow the jerk down for "next time".
2. Give him something to remember me by.
3. Give me a warm glow acompanied by an adrenalin rush.
Ah, I miss the old days!

Sounds like Seattle is becoming the armpit of the PNW - Kind of like what Bend is turning into for Central Oregon. Heck even now the panhandlers aren't even leaving their spots now - they just roll out a sleeping bag and crash on the sidewalk, behind buildings etc.

Sounds like Seattle is becoming the armpit of the PNW - Kind of like what Bend is turning into for Central Oregon. Heck even now the panhandlers aren't even leaving their spots now - they just roll out a sleeping bag and crash on the sidewalk, behind buildings etc.

Impossible! Seattle is a Liberal/ Progressive utopia. :s0114:

Seattle, all and all isn't so bad, but the downtown area sucks with all the aggressive homeless and mentally disturbed. Tonight I just walked past a vigil for a guy who was stabbed to death on the University Ave strip of the U-District. I definitely am a bit vigilant when walking past some of the crazy types I see around Seattle. They seem to prey on those who act and appear helpless, which I find many Seattlites fit the profile. If you are even a bit vigilant and act like you mean business, a majority of the loons in Seattle will not even want to look at you. I felt way more sketched out walking around NE MLK and downtown Portland in the 90s and in Los Angeles then I felt almost anywhere in Seattle, including Tacoma.

However, the gangbangers and homeless seem to have their little reserved spots. I tend to avoid them and if I am going through them I know to be vigilant. Generally, if you mind your own business and don't look to start anything or act afraid and timid, you will not have any problems. Seattle is a reserved city and minding your own business is not out of the ordinary. However, I cannot say the same thing when I was in San Francisco or Los Angeles, where thugs would come up to me and try to become buddy-buddy with me and get in my face or try harassing me into buying drugs from them. Then, there was the tough guys who are always looking for a fight or the a-hole, drugged out panhandlers who swear at you and threaten you if you don't give them change. I never encountered any of this in Seattle.

Along with an attitude, I bring along my CCW and my BUG. In addition to these items, I also carry high powered pepper spray, that can reach out to 15ft and knock most of the loonies or gangster tough guys on their behind and leave them crying.

However, as far as large cities are concerned, Seattle is one of the safest I have ever been and has the most relaxed gun laws. Thank G-d, Washington is a state where cities cannot make laws that circumvent state law. King County actually has a relatively high number of CHL holders and the rate of CHLS is increasing.

Seattlies are indeed a bunch of bleeding heart, liberal types, but this is balanced by the more conservative and rational-minded people who live in the suburbs of King, Snohomish and Pierce counties.

Compared to any other state that issues CHLs, Washington state is the easiest of all to obtain a CHL. Basically, any Seattle resident can be licensed by doing nothing more than taking a trip to the Sheriff office unlike other cities in the country where you will have to take classes, take tests and have long wait times and jump through bureaucratic hoops.

I'm pretty sure that about three good ones in the ribs should have been included! This would accomplish.
1. Slow the jerk down for "next time".
2. Give him something to remember me by.
3. Give me a warm glow acompanied by an adrenalin rush.
Ah, I miss the old days!

Kneecapping is an an excellent message so that they never forget you

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top