JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw the original thread is closed, do people still post their results here? looked like a fun idea for a thread to me...

This seemingly simple drill is actually a good skill builder and harder than it looks.

I did this today at roughly 5yds (my LRF doesn't read that close...) and noticed an improvement over 7yds. They recommend starting at 3 yds but I have been like "what, thats cheating..." but get a case of humble pie thrown in my face when I try... in reality thats what I'll do next time out. I didn't get to finish 9 and 10 because people showed up and broke my rhythm and I wasn't going to speed reload my mags into the soupy mud today anyways that can wait till summer.
dot torture.jpg

ok so I'm not the greatest but I'm hoping to improve on it this year and if I do I'll add to this thread if I don't I'll let this thread silently drift to the bottom of the bucket here in cyberspace and look the other way while whistling if anyone asks who shot this badly...

discuss and share your results here....

The target format itself is a very useful adjunct to a wide variety of range-day fun. Appreciate the image OP posted as an encouraging challenge.

'Torture' is an accurate title for this seemingly innocuous little target.....

"This seemingly simple drill is actually a good skill builder and harder than it looks."
agree fully....in fact...."WAY harder" is accurate as well.

Ancillary question:
Where were you shooting? Outside, obviously (my powerful deduction skills), but just wondering if there is a public range that allows draw-and-shoot drills.
I'd like to go there.

I was at the Wolf Creek shooting lanes, public state forest land. So yes, all the draw and move drills you can set up for....

When you do this are you drawing from a holster or at low ready?

I always train from the holster, and for this target was from concealed. This drill is a great warm up to more advanced defensive drills, ( but I didnt have time for those yesterday). Like 41mag said above "The target format itself is a very useful adjunct to a wide variety of range-day fun."

Starting from the ready position would be a good option if one was at a private range that didnt allow drawing from a holster....

A really good "alternate" is to take those target Plasters you get with the shoot and see targets and place them at random places on a 24"X24" piece of cardboard. Different colors are shot in sequence, I.E. Orange first, then Black, then Green, then what ever else you have! The idea is to get at least one shot into each dot in sequence, and to preform a reload or two during the string! It's a fun challenge to try at different distances. A twist on this is to take one of the 6in circle shoot and see ( or any other of your choice) and to draw from concealed and snap at least 2 shots and then move on to the dots! You can play with it any way you like, set it up to challenge your self more and more!

A little variation ive done while learning this drill is to switch the speed reload with a tactical reload (especially if the ground is muddy), or... Load your primary mag with 1rd, your spare with 2rds and do a combat reload.

(Dots 9 and 10)

Just kidding :D

Not too bad

BFvnWJy.jpg

My strong hand needs work interestingly. Off hand was great haha.

The video is boring to watch but nice to see how fast/slow it was done.

Last Edited:
Ancillary question:
Where were you shooting? Outside, obviously (my powerful deduction skills), but just wondering if there is a public range that allows draw-and-shoot drills.
I'd like to go there.

Yeah since the indoor that I go to does not allow you to draw from a holster either.

Yeah since the indoor that I go to does not allow you to draw from a holster either.
you can practice it from the ready position.... I know, not the same full effect but the shooting part is a real skill builder in itself,,,

that's way better than mine times-o'torture....Believe i was at "only FIVE yards" but still failed miserably. And my blood pressure went way up as well. The amazing discover was I wasn't getting even close 'good group' let alone to 'center of dot'

by the way, you do realize those dots are way larger than the ones on the preprinted target, yes?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top