JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
by the way, you do realize those dots are way larger than the ones on the preprinted target, yes?
I need any excuse I cant get to explain the misses...

Im to that tech savy, I downloaded my targets from pistol-training.com and printed them and thats all I can do. If my dots are smaller then it makes me better in the long run, similar to resistance training maybe...

that's backwards of course, but I congratulate your enthusiasm. Will try to post photo/measurement of the commercial printed version for comparison.
ah... so if my dots are bigger then I need improving. It would be interesting to see how much the printer scaling is off, if you can find out let me know, maybe I can adjust my printer settings...

Koda:
here's the target paper I'm familiar with; the dots are 2" which to scale may well be what's on your own print out. My paper is approx. 17"x 11" with 2" dots. Again I salute your labors & video. I need more practice to get to the group size you produced.

IMG_1965.jpg

Koda:
here's the target paper I'm familiar with; the dots are 2" which to scale may well be what's on your own print out. My paper is approx. 17"x 11" with 2" dots. Again I salute your labors & video. I need more practice to get to the group size you produced.

View attachment 427080

had me worried for a minute my printer scale was way off but mine measures 2" dots as well but all crammed onto an 8.5x11" paper, they are about 1/2" apart vertically though. The only frustrating thing with this is when I miss most likely I'm putting holes in a different dot and that kinda ruins the result right there and adds to the frustration...

Last Edited:
I'm embarrassed. Tried it twice today and so frustrating. I can and do hold better groups at 7 yds than when doing this drill at 3. Today I was struggling with flinching... not certain how to describe it, then I would do better on other drills.

dot torture 001.jpg

I will conquer this drill eventually.

Are you aiming at 3 yards? I have never tried it, but I had a Navy seal tell me once that when shooting up close don't aim. Now here is what I can't remember, I think he said use your finger or something for speed.

He comes into this area once or twice a year and teaches class's I would like to take it.

aiming yes but no time limit on the drill. I think I read somewhere that there is a PAR time you can add to it to make it harder. The thing is the dots arent really that big even for only 3yds so breathing and trigger control etc. need to be consistent. Whats frustrating to me is I know I can hold a tight group but doing it over 50rds you have to be consistent.

I really want to take some courses on shooting in close quarters. I would imagine that with stress and adrenaline it can really mess with you if it came down to your life. When I find out the next time the class I mentioned will be happening I will post it for others if interested.

IMO the Dot torture drill isn't really a stress/defensive drill but it is a solid skill building drill that would be a fundamental foundation to excel at defensive drills under stress. I think if you spent time with this before taking a defensive pistol class you would give anyone a solid lead...

Though I am sure if you put a decent time restriction of the DTD it would definitely add to the stress levels.
pistol-training.com suggests a 5 minute PAR time, although for me right now.... it would only add frustration and not stress training. :p

much improvement today...
I moved up to 3 yards. Felt like cheating.... until I did the first miss... then the second.... concentrate/breath... good, good, DOH!. Pull the target and start over... its like one of those video games where you spend weeks dying just trying the same thing over and over again just to get to the next level.
but I was improving so I tried again. Slowed down to help....
the original post I scored a 32 at 5yds, today... 47 at 3yds. *

0520181841_HDR_cropped.jpg

*one thing Im not certain is if a hit touching the circle outline counts? for this target I deducted three hits, but counted the one in the 9 ring thats touching the ring... because I felt it was "mostly" inside the ring. The other two, were actually meant for the ring above it so clear misses.

I printed out some targets. I'll try to shoot it the next time i'm out... I always like shooting drills. I'll post results, whether good or bad... I'd actually like to see more online shooting comps here at northwest firearms. I shoot other competitions at other forums I frequent. Whether rifle or pistol, they are fun and add to the practice and skill building.

7yds is deceiving... it isn't much in reality. And sometimes I wonder if were not beating ourselves up too much gaging our ability on the DOT drill.... its a great fundamental builder, but I also practice more practical drills too. My goal with the DOT drill will be 7yds, I'll get there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top