JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My SR9 is a first generation if you will, It's had the trigger replaced because of the recall sometime before I bought it. I'm at aprox 300 rds and no problem. Don't know previous owners rd. count.
I did a web quick web search and didn't find a whole lot on this new problem, Does it move out of position, break or what? The vid I found the guy didn't have/ fire it too much before it happened. Maybe it's a bad series of guns that they screwed up and this is a limited thing.
Otherwise I like the SR9 so much I've been considering the 45 next. A dozen or so malfunctions out of all of the ones sold wouldn't deter me from getting another yet. I'm sure a quick search of any handgun + problems will reveal that no weapon is immune to malfunctions though.

I've got an SR9, so after reading this, I took it apart when I got home, I see no signs of peening on the barrel, and I have somewhere around 500-600 rounds thru it. Only issues it's ever given me was the first time I shot it, I didn't clean and oil it first (my first gun, I didn't know any better), and I had 2 FTE and 1 FTF. Since then, and after a good cleaning and oiling, it's been flawless. Also have an SR22 and 10/22 I still haven't fired, looking forward to breaking them in.

Edit: Looking at the pics in this thread http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=19774 , it looks like the top of my barrel block is much flatter, while his looks pretty round, I wonder if machining the top flatter was the fix for the peening issue?

Pic of mine for reference:

His is a 330-xxxx serial number, mine is 331-xxxx for reference.

20140126_204114.jpg 20140126_204136.jpg

When things work well, it is not exciting, and the internet is pretty quiet. But folks get wind of someone elses rare problem, and listen to em holler.

The OP had a problem. I've been there, and nothing's worse than having a new gun break. Leaves a really sour taste, and I wouldn't blame a guy for swearing off that kind of gun forever. And he's got that right.

Then others hear part of the message and proclaim themselves the town crier. Scream and holler about the ancient recalls that the manufacturer initiated so nobody'd get in trouble. A voluntary recall is a decent thing. And beside the recalls, the manufacturers are also repairing their guns for free, even when owners cause the problems themselves.

If a feller would google all the recalls by all the major gun manufacturers, he'd find there has been recalls by all of them. Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Springfield Arms, and more... These companies are standing by their products.

So instead of attempting to start a mass boycott of any of these products, I'd think we'd be more interested in recognizing the steps the manufacturers have taken to develop a good product, and recognizing the steps they've taken to notify the public when there is a problem with their products, and doing everything they can to repair a broken gun.

WAYNO.:s0155:

Wayno's right. I chose to swear off this series of Rugers because of a problem I had that, in my estimation, makes the risk vs benefit equation of them serving as my primary defensive weapons as unsatisfactory. Everyone else has to decide where that line is for themselves. And I've enjoyed the give and take here because it's been so civilized. We get a lot of people screaming at each other on some of these discussions. This one has been both informative and civil. Thanks for that.

I realize this thread is over two years old, and I'm not in the upper northwest region, but smack dab in the middle of the US; I just wanted to let you all know I purchased a Ruger SR9 331-xxxxx around January 2013 that had the slide lock issue from day one. When discussing jam issues with Nebraska dealer, I was told to clean the gun after each use, and that it's probably carbon buildup causing my issue. I cleaned the gun, fired 3 rounds, and two ejected.

A few months pass, and I took it back complaining of jamming and failure to eject the casing from the barrel. The Nebraska gun shop dealer polished the barrel. I then took the SR9 to practice, only to have the cleanest, polished, malfunctioning weapon at the gun range. Needless to say, I quit going to the Nebraska dealer.

I set aside the gun. Earlier this month, I took it to practice a couple times. Was shocked to shoot 5 rounds without having to fix a jam (made it past 3....woohoo ! ). Today, I went to see a Kansas dealer and showed him how it jams. After discussing the history of my SR9, he told me to contact Ruger service, that this is most likely a warranty issue. I had been taking it back to the dealer thinking it was a warranty issue, but was not offered the same advice.

The things I like about the SR9:
The grip has room for my pinky finger to grasp
It has a 17-round magazine (I have two trying to identify the jam problem by elimination)
It has an ambidextrous safety, and quick-check visible red/white indicator
It has a loaded chamber quick-check visible red indicator
It has excellent sight-in between the white dots
It's not heavy and it's not light. I didn't want something clunky, nor something toy-ish
And, for looks, I like the silver-on-black

The things I dislike about the SR9:
Obviously, the jam issue that I hope to get resolved
The hand strength it takes to pull the slide back / disassemble for cleaning
The fear I have of the slide whacking off my finger

I just sent a message to Ruger service. If it does come back and fire flawlessly, I'll start carrying it again.

I realize this thread is over two years old, and I'm not in the upper northwest region, but smack dab in the middle of the US; I just wanted to let you all know I purchased a Ruger ........

..........I just sent a message to Ruger service. If it does come back and fire flawlessly, I'll start carrying it again.

Quite a first post. Welcome. You probably needed a backhoe to dig this one back up. But your post is right on point so I don't think you'll get to much of a hard time (for digging it up). Keep us posted on the way Ruger treats you and what they did to fix your gun. Assuming they do manage to fix it.

Personally, I have reached a time in my life where I have no patience for stuff that doesn't work. Especially guns. After all they may need to work in the most dire of times.

I bought a high end 1911 new only to have it not work. I was pissed. Took it back to the dealer basically wanting my money back. Long story short he fixed it, but I never really trusted it after that. So I sold it at a big loss. Then went even more high end and bought my first Ed Brown. My wife shot it once and proclaimed it hers. But she knew how much I liked it so she bought me my own.

I run a few Rugers and love 'em. I personally have had to use Ruger's CS exactly twice. Once it was an honest malfunction of the fire arm and they repaired it and it has been flawless to date. The other was an "Oh $#!T" issue and they fixed that as well. To be honest the reason I never got a Ruger SR9 was the whole issue with the spring stops/jams. Figured I would just avoid that group and stick with their other offerings. No regrets here :) Still a Ruger fan.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top