JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning at about 1am, my black lab, Dillenger started whining. I figured I'd better let him outside for a minute so he could relieve himself. My brown lab, Deke, went along with him. Within a few seconds, I knew there was trouble.....my eyes and nose were burning. You guessed it.....Friggin SKUNK! :complain: This is the second time in the last month that they have gotten sprayed. You would think they would have learned the FIRST time.

Now I'm off to the store to buy a few quarts of Hydrogen Peroxide and some baking soda. I still have the elbow length rubber gloves I used last time.

I think it's time to get a live trap and a 55 gallon drum full of water and see how long that skunk can hold it's breath. ;)

Happened to us once, a long time ago. It was god-awful, as I recall. The dog thought that he had caught a cat, I think.

The thing that worked best -- far better than any other store remedy or home remedy -- was tomato juice and tomato paste. There's something about the natural vinegar that snuffs out the skunk smell. I'm sure that you can find something about it online, but it was life-saver for us ... and for our poor dog.

It could be worse. My cousin got sprayed once when he went to check out a commotion at one of their poultry houses on the farm. Took his 20 ga with him and found a momma skunk and her kits trying to get in and get the eggs.

He got all of them, but not before they got him. His folks made him strip naked in the barnyard and burned his clothes. He did the tomato juice thing, but he still had to live and eat in the hatchery for a week before they would let him back in the house. :s0114:

At least the dogs are easy to give a bath to. Our dog has gotten sprayed once and the cat has been sprayed a few times. I started a trapping them during the summer and I was up to 13 I think.

Make sure you have a way of getting them in the bucket without them spraying. I sacrificed a blanket to through over them. I have since heard of making a box or some structure to go over the top so they can't see you walking up on them. Also if they can't get their tail up they can't spray. I was getting some young ones and had a big live trap. It wasn't a good combination.

I was visited by a skunk last month, it got both the cat and dog and my man door going into the garage.

Just wanted to add that we rinsed the dog and cat with vinegar and baking soda, it was very effective.

Good thing I had the cat declawed as a kitten.

The skunk will spray when it is dispatched. I have shot them with a 22 mag HP in the ear and it still sprayed. Just be prepared for the smell, it will stick around for a couple of days depending on where it is.

Also once they get in the trap they will scratch everything under adn around the trap. It other words don't set it in the flowers. If you have a dirt patch that would be best then you can shift the dirt around to get rid of the smell faster.

As a kid me and a couple of friends found some traps in a buddies garage. Well, we set them and baited with sardines, 13 traps= 12 skunks and we had to recover the traps. We got sprayed so many times they would not allow us to return to school for a week.:s0114:

I washed the dogs with a mixture of Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dishwashing liquid. Within minutes all the smell was gone. Now I have a live trap set with some cat food inside for bait. Waiting.......waiting......waiting....:cool:

Massengill feminine hygiene products are the best at neutralizing skunk odor. I'm not being gross or making a joke, its the truth, I grew up on a farm and when one of our dogs got skunked thats what my mom used to wash them off with.

Zip tie an old towel to the live catch trap when you set it so Mr. Stinky is't so alarmed by you approaching to "dispatch" him. Trappers often us a "dispatch" pole to avoid being sprayed. It's a syringe on a pole basicly. They are easy to make and inject ordinary acetone. The link describes it better then I can.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=252971

Your other option is to use a conibear or similar "body hold" trap. No dispatch needed. Just dont use them where pets can get to them.

Update:
So far I have caught my wife's black and white cat TWICE! :s0112: but no skunk as of yet. DSCN2696.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top