JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found this website after almost killing my dog with poisonous canned commercial dog food. I can't remember now if it was Alpo or Pedigree, but it was one of the two for sure.

There's a wealth of information and you can sign up for alerts about recalls and other important information.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Her gall bladder got messed up and she nearly died. It was a near thing, but thankfully she recovered. So now we're much more aware of dog food ingredients.

It's been eye opening. If you research the history of commercial dog foods and I assume cat foods as well, you'll see that it was initially a way to get rid of industrial waste and make a profit while they were at it.

People that harm children and/or family pets should be hung.

Fred's been dinning on Alpo and they don't rate it too good. I'll try their higher rated Blu Buffalo and see if he quits biting my ankles:D

I pay a lot for my dog food and have always bought premium smaller company brands.

When they get bought out because they do so well by the bigger companies I switch food.

Currently on something that is kangaroo based.

Shop with small mom and pop specialty stores, they tend to hear about things before the news crews pick it up.

So is it a lot more then commercial food, yes and no.

I have a 16 year old Lhasa Apso that has never needed a vet for more then a checkup and is still going strong. My lab/Roy made it to 14 same thing, no issues.

No vet bills for 16 years vs cheaper food - I'm not rich but I'll put my money into preventative maintenance rather then deal with large vet bills or risk what the OP had to deal with.

I found this website after almost killing my dog with poisonous canned commercial dog food. I can't remember now if it was Alpo or Pedigree, but it was one of the two for sure.

There's a wealth of information and you can sign up for alerts about recalls and other important information.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Her gall bladder got messed up and she nearly died. It was a near thing, but thankfully she recovered. So now we're much more aware of dog food ingredients.

It's been eye opening. If you research the history of commercial dog foods and I assume cat foods as well, you'll see that it was initially a way to get rid of industrial waste and make a profit while they were at it.

People that harm children and/or family pets should be hung.
Thank you for the heads up. I've been feeding my dogs (a 9 year old mixed breed rescue Lab/Doxie cross and a 1 year old Blue Heeler) Taste of the Wild. After researching the site you sent we are switching to Victor from Chewy, free shipping, 50 lb bag for $60.00 and far superior food. We signed up for cancelable auto ship and get it for $54.00...I can't drive into town and buy cheap food for any less than that.
Thank you!
Scott
Semper Fi

Just a PS: Victor is a Texas based family business and everything that goes into their food is sourced within 200 miles of their facility. Like joe13 the extra we pay for the best food we can find more than pays for itself in vet bills. Kim and I eat healthy, aren't wealthy, but take supplements to stay healthy. Why wouldn't we do the same for the rest of our family members....not to mention that they trust us to do our best for them and give us more in return than we could ever give them.

We do the same for our dogs, read labels carefully I mean.

Im amazed at some of the junk they into pet food. I also try and stay away from china made treats and chews.

Both Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild are on the list listed by Reno above. I saw that yesterday too. I have been feeding my GSD and min pin with Taste of The Wild but now have to find something else. The Costco Natures Domain is on there too.

We've been using (over 9 years now) and happy with The Honest Kitchen brand. It is a dehydrated dog food and a 10lb box makes 40lb of food.

First started with it when we were travelling extensively with our dogs.

It is supposed to be made in a facility that is rated for human food production and doesn't utilize any imported products (ie produce or meat from China).

Biggest downside is that it is hard to find in local stores and shipping is expensive unless you buy a couple of cases at a time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top