JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's called "Off Set Torque/Torque Offset" and it IS a real thing! As far as a right or a wrong way to do it, YES, and NO! As long as both are on the same side, it will not matter,, off set them, and you will end up chasing a never ending tracking issue!

When one mounts Vortex scope rings, does it matter on what side are positioned hex screws that hold the ring base?

Cheers,

Dan
Some have found humor in this, but it's a great and fundamental question. The answer is either side is just fine but keep them the same way. This will ensure that the scope is as parallel to the rifle as possible.

Don't hesitate to ask questions as others will benefit from what you find.

If the rifle has a rail attached by screws I always remove it, then clean and properly torque it into place with a small dab of loctite on each screw. I have never removed one that had even tension on the screws let alone proper torque.

Always tighten rings to the base while pushing the ring forward.

Get the proper torque specs from the manufacturer for the rail or base as well as for the crossbolts and cap screws on the rings. Rings typically won't need loctite. Torqur for firearms are in inch lbs so make sure the tool you use is the same and not foot lbs. Wheeler makes a great inexpensive mechanical torque wrench but I bet if you asked around the forum someone nearby would let you use theirs for a beer.

Lots of good YouTube videos on how to do it right. Just takes a few minutes and you are good for as long as that scope is on the rifle.

Technically install the hardware opposite the ejection port for ease of extraction.
As a side note, after many years I was surprised to learn there are guns with opposite side bolts.

If anyone asks, tell them you're balancing the rifle left to right for better handling.
Years ago my pal Jay had a little MGB sports car. It had two batteries under the front seats, one on each side. I asked him what that was about, he said, "Oh, that's to trim the balance of the car." Jay weighed 350 pounds.

Last Edited:
I'm a righty and install the nuts or screw heads on the left on my rifles. On a Ruger with Ruger rings, they are always on the left side, no matter the rifle's bolt side.
Except Weaver rings. I install them in the cabinet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top