JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I always thought they were cool watching the hog killing videos with night vision but that was all the thoughts of them. Until the other day, I had a terrible range session while attempting to shoot my loads I developed last week.
I did not have a table or even felt like carrying all my stuff into the pit but thought I'll just kneel and shoot as taught in the Army many moons ago. Well those days are gone and alas, the session did not go well. I was too shaky and could not get steady. And with my big belly I'm not able to lay prone to shoot anymore, no I don't wanna have to take a shovel to dig a hole to lay in. :eek:
An acquaintance on another board half hazardously suggested that I might want to try a tripod.
At that moment I seriously considered it, did some quick googlefooing and an hour later I had a confirmed order for a BOG Deathgrip aluminum precision tripod. :s0023::s0023::s0023:

Fast forward to today. In a Steve Martin voice in "the Jerk" My new deathgrip is here my new deathgrip is here!!!
I am sure that in a city environment this box would not have been usable after delivery.
OMG, an EBR…. REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! OMG MUST DESTROY… REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It arrived early today but alas it's raining right now, but if it clears up for a little bit I may run over to the pit and have a little fun.
While unboxing this unit I was amazed at the heft as well as the fit and finish of this behemoth. Without going into a very long detailing of this product, I will say it appears to be quality made and holds my 8 lbs. 14 oz. "certain death from afar" AR snugly although it does not hold my bushmaster with the original drop in hand guard well at all but I can use it without tightening it too tight. I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. ROFLMAO.gif

I have a Bog.
It really needs a ball head to keep it from being jittery.
I picked up a Sunway foto tripod a bit ago.
A lot smaller, lighter and stable.
IMG_20230730_134635.jpg IMG_20230730_165312.jpg

I have and use my BOG deathgrip frequently - and LOVE it. From zeroing a rifle to chasing rats through a field, it seems to do it all. Very well made and heavy duty. Had it for a few years now and its been abused - still works flawlessly. Before I invested in a different tripod for optics (Sirui), I would lightly 'squeeze' by binos or spotting scope in the grip if I was running my rifle from a table.

Wouldn't want to carry it in a backpack - it is a heavy tripod. Other downside is that you can't swap the 'deathgrip' out for other attachments if you buy the original tripod setup with the deathgrip.

You can convert them to a ball head.
Just need to make a spacer for the neck.
Almost three pounds shaved off if you do that.

The ball head on the Sunway can use Arca or Pic rails.
The saddle is nice for my rifles that don't have rails.

You can convert them to a ball head.
Just need to make a spacer for the neck.
Almost three pounds shaved off if you do that.

The ball head on the Sunway can use Arca or Pic rails.
The saddle is nice for my rifles that don't have rails.
Love to learn more about this....ball head would be awesome. I messaged the BOG team about a year ago to see if I could swap it and they said, 'not with the one you have.'

How did you make the spacer?

I haven't converted mine yet.
A guy on YouTube made one for not much.
There are conversion kits though for $35

I was able to get out this afternoon and set this thing up and pop off some rounds. It's not really that heavy but I did figure an easy way to carry it, I just had to leave my chair at home and stole the bag. Lol
I had my bushmaster with the plastic handguards and tightened it down enough to hold it and it worked really well but I do believe I'm going to get a drop in quad rail for it because I can see the plastic is getting squished.
And the best part about it it is rock solid and I was able to hold on target with ease, what the heck did I do before I got this thing? I wasted a lot of ammo that's what.
I do believe it is a keeper and eventually I may go the route that was shown in the video.
Thanks for all the help and advice.:s0062:

C12BD74A-85FC-4DCE-925C-6C1E4AFD190E.jpeg 5398A0DA-A70D-4B8A-AA39-8ABAF4B85C97.jpeg 0B26E043-A629-4E4D-A85D-73C6D4547366.jpeg

I had my bushmaster with the plastic handguards and tightened it down enough to hold it and it worked really well but I do believe I'm going to get a drop in quad rail for it because I can see the plastic is getting squished.
You gas block is not pinned, just a couple of set screws.
Pop that off and install a low pro one and your options just opened up a lot for handguards.

Get an Mlok one and just attach a rail wherever you want it.
On the 18" one I'm using an IWI 15.5" with a full length Arca rail integrated on the bottom.
I can put the bipod or tripod anywhere along the bottom without further attachments.
If you need to use a rail there are 7 positions available, no need for an offset mount for a light if you like the light rolled up closer to the top of the barrel.

I just used short sections of rail at the front and rear on this one.
Magpul Rail Gripper works with Arca and Pic rails.
Three mlock positions on it. 3, 6, and 9:00.
I use a BCM offset mount for the light.
KkdfIRNh.jpg

I didn't get many options for rails on this one, just the two it came with.
The clamp seems to work better on it as I can push the rifle ahead a bit more and balance it out better.
7zP96tzh.jpg
The Bog won't hold it in place, it tips to the sky even tightened down. Around 11 lbs like that, the Arken 4-16 x50 puts it almost 14lb.
The Sunway integrated little 36mm ball holds it just fine and you still have smooth movement. Weighs 3 lbs too, carbon fiber legs, doesn't go as high as the bog but 57 tall" is plenty for me.

Will most likely use this Sunway ball head on the BOG.
Then mount an Arca plate on the saddle and still be able to use it.

You gas block is not pinned, just a couple of set screws.
Pop that off and install a low pro one and your options just opened up a lot for handguards.

Get an Mlok one and just attach a rail wherever you want it.
On the 18" one I'm using an IWI 15.5" with a full length Arca rail integrated on the bottom.
I can put the bipod or tripod anywhere along the bottom without further attachments.
If you need to use a rail there are 7 positions available, no need for an offset mount for a light if you like the light rolled up closer to the top of the barrel.

I just used short sections of rail at the front and rear on this one.
Magpul Rail Gripper works with Arca and Pic rails.
Three mlock positions on it. 3, 6, and 9:00.
I use a BCM offset mount for the light.
View attachment 1480678

I didn't get many options for rails on this one, just the two it came with.
The clamp seems to work better on it as I can push the rifle ahead a bit more and balance it out better.
View attachment 1480679
The Bog won't hold it in place, it tips to the sky even tightened down. Around 11 lbs like that, the Arken 4-16 x50 puts it almost 14lb.
The Sunway integrated little 36mm ball holds it just fine and you still have smooth movement. Weighs 3 lbs too, carbon fiber legs, doesn't go as high as the bog but 57 tall" is plenty for me.

Will most likely use this Sunway ball head on the BOG.
Then mount an Arca plate on the saddle and still be able to use it.
That is an Adams arms piston gas block, not wanting to change it up so I'll just opt for a drop in quad rail.
Plus I'm not wanting to spend the $$$ for all that extra stuff at this time.

Unless I'm at a place that's been cleared to the target I just use a bipod as a kickstand to keep it out of the dirt and mud.

I found tripods to be useful in adjusting your scopes diopter and parallax markings as well.
Having spare parts comes in handy sometimes.

igk0nW5h.jpg

A bit easier without a rifle in the way, just grab a chair and stare at the sky.
Then check the parallax settings at known distances.
I do that at work as there's up to 500 yds, not having the entire rifle doesn't create a panic either.

Innorel tripods like RT80 carbon's are hands-down the best bang for the Buck-$ . it steady, solid ridged and light packing . The bigger 40mm tubed RT90 is pretty good buy and BadAszz ridged stout but not necessarily needed for the average rifle.
I finally got out of the Stone Age from shooting off the boat anchor heavy Manfrotto a few years back, and went Carbon Fiber on the tripod . I can't believe I held out that long before moving to CF. it was dumb and I should have done it 10 years earlier.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top