JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get my hands on a hardened steel plate target rig. I'm not looking for the cheap .22 spinners you can pick up just about everywhere, but something that is going to withstand my more powerful toys. Any info will help. Thanks.

Robert Wright at R&R Targets. <broken link removed>

He is in Lyons---about a half hour east of Salem up Hwy. 22. Well worth the drive to save the freight.

The steel yard on 68th and Columbia blvd buy scrap AR-500 plate build what ever you want.
Pic of my coyote target.
P9180006.jpg

I purchased targets from this guy a few months ago. He had a 3-target special going on at the time, but even without the special his prices seemed pretty good. I think I paid around $70 for one 8x8, one 6x6, and one 4x4 (shipping via USPS Priority was included in the price).

bigdogsteel.com

Check out Salute Products

They're local and make good stuff, and they have plenty of options to choose from. I have a DOD base with a 10-8/EAG plate and love the thing - a quality setup and easy to pack around

+1 on Salute. I used them during a course and they held up very well. The class put 30k+ rounds on 10 targets and there was little/no damage even with 5.56 at >30 yards. We used the DOD base with the 10-8/EAG plates.

The steel yard on 68th and Columbia blvd buy scrap AR-500 plate build what ever you want.
Pic of my coyote target.
P9180006.jpg
Now that there is a handy piece of information to have!
Did you deal with any folks in particular? I've bought scrap at the SteelYard before.... I'm just wondering if I drive up there if they'll know what I'm talking about on AR-500. Did they have a bunch of it? How long ago, and do you have a rough guess on what ya paid?
Thanks!

I just contacted Eric at the Steelyard and he told me he has a 96" X 118" slab of 3/8" AR500 plate that has to be sold as one piece, but he said he can cut it up for us in any size we like. If anybody wants to go in on this with me let me know. If my math is correct, that size plate would yield 8 12" square plates or obviously more if we had it cute to smaller pieces. I am waiting to hear back from him on a price but it shouldn't be too bad if a few of us went in on it.... Let me know if you are interested.

Actually that should get you 78 ct 1 sq foot pieces with about 10 ct 10 inch pieces as well

Maybe we could do a NWF group buy sort of deal. What does he want for the slab cut up that way? I wonder what two 12 inchers and one 10 incher would weigh.. they would fit in a Priority flat rate box, but they limit it to 28 lbs now..I'm certain it would weight more than that

I have a drill press and can drill my own holes and build my own stand

Actually that should get you 78 ct 1 sq foot pieces with about 10 ct 10 inch pieces as well

Maybe we could do a NWF group buy sort of deal. What does he want for the slab cut up that way? I wonder what two 12 inchers and one 10 incher would weigh.. they would fit in a Priority flat rate box, but they limit it to 28 lbs now..I'm certain it would weight more than that

I have a drill press and can drill my own holes and build my own stand

You are right. I got the division part right but totally forgot to multiply the sides. I feel dumb now... Well I'm still in if we can put together some sort of a group buy.

Let's do a group buy on the slab and sell whatever we do not want here on the forum. Heck, we might even break even!

If it's cheap enough I might want more than three pieces. Some buddies and I are going to set up a 3 gun type course out back of my place and multiple steels would be great

If the price is right I would take a 24"x36" piece also I get 15% off as my company has an account with them.
The last piece I bought was $200.00 for a 24"x60" 3/8"

you can't drill AR-500 I had to burn holes in mine.

Their supply verys week by week.

If the price is right I would take a 24"x36" piece also I get 15% off as my company has an account with them.
The last piece I bought was $200.00 for a 24"x60" 3/8"

you can't drill AR-500 I had to burn holes in mine.

Their supply verys week by week.

Roger that

Be aware that AR500 loses its hardness around the edges when cut with anything but a hydrojet. The tempering is lost using plasma/torches, so you can get deformation & holes on the edges.

Be aware that AR500 loses its hardness around the edges when cut with anything but a hydrojet. The tempering is lost using plasma/torches, so you can get deformation & holes on the edges.

Could you weld some chain loops on the back side and then slowly cool it without issue? I would think that would work but I'm not up on the properties of AR-500.

Could you weld some chain loops on the back side and then slowly cool it without issue? I would think that would work but I'm not up on the properties of AR-500.

Welding make the hard steel brittle and will break off with a hit from a high power rifle shackles seem to work best also a plus when someone shoots the chain in half.

Welding make the hard steel brittle and will break off with a hit from a high power rifle shackles seem to work best also a plus when someone shoots the chain in half.

I thought that in some cases if you slow down the cooling process with a propane torch and/or bury the metal in sand you can avoid the "brittleness" from rapid cooling. I'm not an expert though - just dumb enough to try all sorts of half-*** theories.

I got some AR500 from another forum. I might sacrifice a corner next time I fire up the welder. I might wait until the kids sandbox dries out a bit though. ;)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews