JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 48RE in my 2006, 2500 CTD and it is having shift issues. The two pressure sensors/switches known to be the most common issue were replaced but that did not fix it. My local shop is quoting $5500 for R&R with a rebuilt unit but one having improved components.

I see lots of information on the web about the stock transmission being the weak link on these trucks, but that rebuilt and "re-manufactured" units are much improved. I also see some of these come with a large price tag and seem specially designed for trucks that have been juiced up for power.

My truck is stock with no plans to chip or otherwise modify. I tow a 25' TT that weighs ~6200 loaded.

Like to hear from anyone who has had to replace their original 48RE; what option did you choose and cost.

In my 2005 3500 CTD dually I lost the trans at 88k. I lived in CO at the time and had ATS build me one of their bullet proof transmissions. Never had a problem with it after that and drove it another 100k before selling it. I miss that truck. :(

:eek:
I would swap to an aftermarket like ATS!
Mine is souped big, so I had to do a swap to a ATS Bullet proof with Super H.O. low stall converter!
Smoked the tires on the Dyno at 445 HP:D:D:D
Total cost was about what they are quoting you for a "Stock" replacement!

Isn't aftermarket built and a rebuilt stock about the same thing? All new parts and you can add the stronger stuff in both..?
Yes and No, it all depends on any options if offered. A factory replacement will be bone stock and subject to some of the same failures unless it has factory changes that prevent these failures! Most aftermarket options will address these failings and also have several performance upgrades, depending on application and customers requirements!

Yes and No, it all depends on any options if offered. A factory replacement will be bone stock and subject to some of the same failures unless it has factory changes that prevent these failures! Most aftermarket options will address these failings and also have several performance upgrades, depending on application and customers requirements!
Same core though right?

Usually! Some times they offer the next version or upgrade, especially if there is a known problem!

My Brides car had a well known failure of it's trans axle, so when ours went south, they replaced it with the next version that had been improved at no additional charge to us! We were two months outside of the powertrain warranty, but they covered it any way! That was a very nice thing they did for us, and they didn't have to!:D

My 06 CTD went bad at 88k
Too bad for this weak link in an otherwise good truck
SeaTac transmission did mine, beefed it up with the good parts and he says I should be good for a long time
They do a lot of work for the company I work for so I got a deal I guess, right around 4 grand
Too bad the factory couldn't put in the good parts I'm sure they could afford it a lot easier than I can!

SeaTac transmission did mine, beefed it up with the good parts and he says I should be good for a long time
They do a lot of work for the company I work for so I got a deal I guess, right around 4 grand
Too bad the factory couldn't put in the good parts I'm sure they could afford it a lot easier than I can!
What's with 88k miles tranny flops?

Well, mine is at 136K and change, so I guess that's a little better. Plenty of press about the 48RE being a weak point on the Ram series truck. There's a particularly good article about this and why financial bean counters should be expelled from premises where engineering work is done. The upside is they have pretty much identified and fixed all the problems.

I have heard of ATS, but now 3 different shops around my area (two specialize in diesel performance) are recommending Hanser's in Billings. I spoke with them and they went into detail on the changes/upgrades done for what they call a re-manufactured 48RE. Not a full blown "built" unit, but a much improved over stock (steel billet TC, added clutch packs, modified valve body, and a handful of other). They also offer a 3 yr/100k parts & labor warranty. The shop in Bozeman is $4660 OTD. Bozeman Dodge offered a stock OEM with 3 yr/100K for $5200. Guess which way I'm leaning ;).

Mine had 189K on it, didn't blow it, had to up grade or I would have blown it up good!

The thing about Dodge diesels, every time they upgrade the engine, they have to beaf up the rest of it and some times it dosnt work out as well as they thought, the real world is different then their test tracks! Gotta remember, Cummins had to turn that 5.9 way down before they could put them in the pickups, the origional spec was over 400 horses, and over 900 foot pounds of torque, out side of an Allison, there wasn't a automotive trans that could hold that kind of power, so Dodge built one!
Then you have to keep up with the changes, and play Chase with Ford ( who have their share of problems) and it's bound to happen some where in the power train! I had to upgrade every part of the drive train when I did the engine mods, trans, drive shafts and U- Joints, axles, bearings, ect..... it was expensive, but cheaper then a new truck, and I can out run and out pull the new ones, so I win! :)

A friend of mine has the same 2006 truck as mine but with a longbed
His only has 55k on it and he's had the tranny done already
We do both run them pretty hard
So I guess it's all over the board some have no issues and some do
My 2000 Dakota is supposed to have a weak tranny and it's got 170k on it now with basically no issues outside of a water pump
And I've pretty much run the heck outa that thing

Cummins had to turn that 5.9 way down before they could put them in the pickups, the origional spec was over 400 horses, and over 900 foot pounds of torque, out side of an Allison, there wasn't a automotive trans that could hold that kind of power, so Dodge built one!

WHAAaaTT!! I want that additional 75 hp and 300+ ft-lbs of torque back! Too bad the folks at Dodge weren't first in line to marry Allison. That would have been the match made in heaven. Just gave the go ahead to order in the Hanser's 48RE. I plan to keep the truck for a few more years anyway, then will likely trade in on a F150 crew cab with the one of those ecoboost V6 engines offering eyebrow raising specs.

WHAAaaTT!! I want that additional 75 hp and 300+ ft-lbs of torque back! Too bad the folks at Dodge weren't first in line to marry Allison. That would have been the match made in heaven. Just gave the go ahead to order in the Hanser's 48RE. I plan to keep the truck for a few more years anyway, then will likely trade in on a F150 crew cab with the one of those ecoboost V6 engines offering eyebrow raising specs.

I wish they had done the Allison too, I thought about an aftermarket swap to one from a Freightliner FL-50, but it was even more expensive then the aftermarket swap. The other option I thought would be cool was the swap to a Fuller 8 speed manual, it's about the same size and weight and a direct bolt in, but I went with the ATS instead! Next time, it's a Fuller like my 1942 Power Wagon!:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top