JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you take part in CERT?

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No, but I used to.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • No, but I am involved with another local emergency organization which is ____

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Nope and don't wish to.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I don't live in the USA, so, well, no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, eh (buuurp), wut is duh que'sion (bromp!) again? Ain't CERT (shart!) some kinda mint ...

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • No, but I'd like to.

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
I have nothing good to say about FEMA, based on two week-long trips followed by a seven month stay in Mississippi, after Hurricane Katrina. I had interaction with a lot of other groups, big and small, well-organized and ad-hoc, with years of experience responding to natural disasters in the US and around the world. All the good intentions in the world can't overcome the inertia and process-intensive approach that comes with big bureaucracy. And I don't confine that to governments alone: the Red Cross and Salvation Army suffered greatly in my estimation by their bureaucratic approach to helping the local population. Personal opinion.

Last Edited:
the Red Cross and Salvation Army suffered greatly in my estimation by their bureaucratic approach to helping the local population

I hear you on the American Red Cross. The nicest way I can put it is that the organizational changes in the last decade or so have been (*cough*) less than positive. ;)

My kids joined CERT. One spent the last year overseas on student exchange, so he hasn't been active. My wife and I volunteer now and then, even though we aren't actual members. We help out when we can, and have hosted training exercises on our property.

Our local CERT is pretty well organized, and I would trust them to do the best possible job if it was asked of them. :)

When I lived in Seattle I was involved with their CERT-Related preparedness program. I thought it was good. There is no CERT in my current County or surrounding counties, but there is a private emergency preparedness group that I take part in.

There should be an option for "No, but I would like to." I'm currently signed up for the next Portland NET training session in the spring. Looking forward to it.

I signed up too, but am cancelling after seeing this

Q7 – What about firearms? I have a concealed carry permit. Is pepper spray considered a weapon?
Firearms are not allowed at any NET activity – even if your possession of them is not unlawful. Similar to machetes and chainsaws, firearms are outside the scope of NET training. Yes, pepper spray is considered a weapon.

I signed up too, but am cancelling after seeing this

Q7 – What about firearms? I have a concealed carry permit. Is pepper spray considered a weapon?
Firearms are not allowed at any NET activity – even if your possession of them is not unlawful. Similar to machetes and chainsaws, firearms are outside the scope of NET training. Yes, pepper spray is considered a weapon.

Then they will be meat for the "barely contained" beasts (in the best of times) during a real SHTF situation.

The big problem with CERT, and other similar agencies (ARES, RACES), is that they have no resources to help people in need. They end up being radio operators. Sending messages to EOCs that have no resources to help people.

I'm a member of Yamhill County CERT.
Although I agree with some of the sentiment here regarding Govt agencies, I do get to "peak into the belly of the beast" so to speak.

There are some great people associated with the team, and I've learned many new skills.

I am a former firefighter / EMT, trained in medical care, high angle rescue, confined space rescue, vehicle extraction, wildland and structural fire fighting, ham radio operator.

I am trained in tactical procedures, firearms, threat assessment and analysis and situational corrections. My training and my expectations of those I work and train with are a lot higher than what a community group is going to possess, and since I have worked under a fire department command structure in the past, having clear lines as to who is in command is very important to me. I have no problem working under that structure or even being in the command position, but being old school, get in and get it done, keep everybody safe is the main priority and not if someone feelings get hurt if they get barked at in the process.

I think these groups are a great supplement to existing emergency services and serve their purpose. My contributions will come in different ways. I also carry multiple weapons or means of self defense at all times and that will NEVER change.

Any time government agencies get involved and especially in my beloved fire departments the whole new way of doing things is a huge waste of human and hard resources.

Not sure if there is a category for me in the list above..:oops:

CERTs do a lot of good for the community; they fill critical gaps and I hope they continue to do what they do. The nature of CERT seems to attract more over-zealous people than I care to be around; their compulsory nature of reporting everything to the govt. calls into question (for me) where their loyalty lies.

Most of the CERT members I have met are normal people; great Americans.

The main reason I avoid direct participation; I served in the service for 24 years; I wrote a "blank check" (put my backside on the line) for this entire country (unlike some politicians...). I would have given it all for the Left, the Right, the Middle, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, the incarcerated, the dopers, the draft dodgers, the home-grown commies, the politicians, and even for foreign nations and their people..... all of it.

Based on my current paradigm, I pick and choose who I would help now, and I will try my best to do it well.

I am a CERT member, I am also a FEMA certified CERT trainer. That said, I honestly believe CERT is just like government.....of the people for the people and by the people. There are rumors of rules such as those imposed by the Portland NET teams to be introduced by our local group.

Please let me have you entertain this thought......... In case of emergency, don't you want to know the most? Don't you want to be informed with the most up to date info? Don't you want to keep your family as safe as you can? Then why would you not join a CERT type team and train and interface and ENGAGE....you get experience, you meet some like minded individuals, you meet the KEY PLAYERS (POLICE, FIRE, MED, even Politicians) in your area, you learn VALUABLE information, and worst comes to worst.........you use the information to abstain, you keep your family safe, to "bug out" if you will.

I have a HAM license, I'm getting a motorcycle endorsement, I've got CHL's from multiple states.........what I'm getting at is, I'm forever learning, I'm forever expanding my knowledge and I'm forever trying to think of ways to mitigate my risk in the face of danger......CERT is that for me.....

Will you be disgusted with some of the bureaucrats you interface with? Will you be annoyed with some of their "thoughts", etc, etc...... YEP......but in the end, if you have your concealed handgun/pepperspray on you and you meet up with your team because you are activated.....do you think those you have trained with that you have built a relationship with will send you home? I doubt it........

What I'm getting at is lawyers wrote these rules, and they are just that "RULES", in the face of emergency, it all goes out the window. Show your fellow citizens that just because you own a firearm, doesn't mean you're a bad guy.

Iyou meet the KEY PLAYERS (POLICE, FIRE, MED, even Politicians)

With all due respect to you and your position and duties with CERT and thank you for that contribution... one of the groups mentioned does not belong with the others.

Politicians should never be mentioned in the same sentence with our police officers, fire and EMS people. Politicians make stupid rules,and play stupid games with the careers and lives of those protecting and truly serving the public. Most politicians have never put on a turn out coat or strapped on a gun or have done anything other than flap their pie holes about meaningless bullsh*t other than their political career.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top