Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you take off your light or laser on your handgun when you practice?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by 9mm guy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. 9mm guy

9mm guy Tualatin Active Member

I'm posting this here (as opposed to gears & accessories or scopes & optics section) since this is a specific question pertaining to handguns only. I'm a believer in lights/lasers for my handguns that I carry. I'm not interested in debating whether one should use a light or laser on your handgun; I may ask that question another time.

But to all those who use lasers and/or lights on your handgun, do you normally take it off when you practice at the range? I practice mainly using my sights (due to not over-relying on the laser) at the range and don't use the laser or light.

The reason to take it off is that obviously I would think it may prolong the life of the laser/light to not subject it to thousands of rounds of recoil at the range.

But the reasons to not take off are that they are a pain to remove and place back on every time I go to the range. And I would think the light/lasers are built to withstand such an impact anyways. Plus there's nothing in the instruction books of any of my lasers/lights that recommend taking them off when possible; and I like feeling the weight of the light/laser on the muzzle to simulate actual firing in a self-defense scenario.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Have you left the light/laser on during all your range firings and found that they don't last as long? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Ura-Ki, x2ndxall and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a tlr1 on my home glock and I sometimes put clear tape on the lens for easy clean up of the carbon from the lenses :) from an extended range session.

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good question! I don't currently!

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Would a laser that's been zeroed in, lose it's calibrated point of aim when it's repeatedly removed and reattached?

Ura-Ki and Logan Wilson like this.
  5. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I can't say on the laser, but I've had good luck on scopes holding zero when removed from a rail and reattached, I would assume the same to be true of a quality lazering beam :D

6. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Nope. I leave my laser attached. No problems to date.

Larrytpdx, x2ndxall and rick benjamin like this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I currently don't have any lasers on any guns and a light on only one - and it stays on that gun when I practice with it.

x2ndxall likes this.
  8. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Left my crimson trace attached for a year and a half, then the batteries died and leaked.
    CT took pity on me and replaced it, told me to replace batteries yearly, religiously, from now on.

9. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I train with my weapons in the exact same state they'll be in when I'm not training. It seems a bad idea to do it any other way. Batteries get replaced regularly, whether they need it or not.

10. 9mm guy

9mm guy Tualatin Active Member

We're getting off topic here; what do you guys think/know about the effect of thousands of recoil on the light or laser? Is it harmful enough that I should take off the light/laser?

11. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Sorry dude, my bad.
    I would be much more worried about the effects of taking it off and putting it back on than recoil.
    As for experience, I haven't seen recoil hurt a quality laser or light after thousands of rounds.

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Practice as you carry.

The extra weight/mass is going to be expected on follow up shots. Your reactions will be different (muzzle flip etc) without it.

If you are concerned about a light or laser you may have the wrong brand.

Edit:
    I don't have a light or laser on my guns.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Espire, Koda and 2 others like this.
  13. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Agreed!

14. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I have a tlr3 on my 19 and it's seen some rounds. No problems with it not working. I think quality accessories will hold up.

15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As I've never considered it before, no I haven't taken them off of the two pistols that I have them on. Probably 1K rnds on the 9mm and 4-500 on the .380 no problems so far!

16. TM-Salem

TM-Salem Salem Active Member

Hmm, I dont use the CT laser much and never really though of the batteries leaking... I need to change them out, they have been in there for maybe 8 to 9 years and still work when I switch it on.

17. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I would practice with your piece just as you would have it in self defense mode.

As to lasers, etc taking extra abuse when practicing?
    If it can't take the abuse during practice I sure as heck wouldn't want it on when my life is in danger.

Ura-Ki, Logan Wilson and x2ndxall like this.
  18. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Only when I feel like abusing my Glock and putting it in dirt like the cheap plastic thing it is. Other than that I keep it on. The way I see it, if it can't handle the recoil of a .45 it doesn't belong on my gun.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

No lights mo lasers no bells no whistles so my answer I guess is no.

Dyjital likes this.
  20. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I prefer to shoot with my light on the firearm. Most times, I remember to put my spare Streamlights in the pistol case to take along. But, I've been known to forget them also. So I experience both. Carrying, with my lights has yet to happen due to my not able to find a holster to suit my wants. Mainly due to carrying AIWB, or 4 o'clock. There are plenty of holsters from numerous designers, but I've never been one to buy/try/sell if it does not work, until I find one I like.

So, until I do find a holster, I do not pack with my lights on. They remain on my nightstand gun for the time being only.