JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm posting this here (as opposed to gears & accessories or scopes & optics section) since this is a specific question pertaining to handguns only. I'm a believer in lights/lasers for my handguns that I carry. I'm not interested in debating whether one should use a light or laser on your handgun; I may ask that question another time.

But to all those who use lasers and/or lights on your handgun, do you normally take it off when you practice at the range? I practice mainly using my sights (due to not over-relying on the laser) at the range and don't use the laser or light.

The reason to take it off is that obviously I would think it may prolong the life of the laser/light to not subject it to thousands of rounds of recoil at the range.

But the reasons to not take off are that they are a pain to remove and place back on every time I go to the range. And I would think the light/lasers are built to withstand such an impact anyways. Plus there's nothing in the instruction books of any of my lasers/lights that recommend taking them off when possible; and I like feeling the weight of the light/laser on the muzzle to simulate actual firing in a self-defense scenario.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Have you left the light/laser on during all your range firings and found that they don't last as long? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

I train with my weapons in the exact same state they'll be in when I'm not training. It seems a bad idea to do it any other way. Batteries get replaced regularly, whether they need it or not.

We're getting off topic here; what do you guys think/know about the effect of thousands of recoil on the light or laser? Is it harmful enough that I should take off the light/laser?

We're getting off topic here; what do you guys think/know about the effect of thousands of recoil on the light or laser? Is it harmful enough that I should take off the light/laser?
Sorry dude, my bad.
I would be much more worried about the effects of taking it off and putting it back on than recoil.
As for experience, I haven't seen recoil hurt a quality laser or light after thousands of rounds.

Practice as you carry.

The extra weight/mass is going to be expected on follow up shots. Your reactions will be different (muzzle flip etc) without it.

If you are concerned about a light or laser you may have the wrong brand.

Edit:
I don't have a light or laser on my guns.

Last Edited:
I have a tlr3 on my 19 and it's seen some rounds. No problems with it not working. I think quality accessories will hold up.

As I've never considered it before, no I haven't taken them off of the two pistols that I have them on. Probably 1K rnds on the 9mm and 4-500 on the .380 no problems so far!

Hmm, I dont use the CT laser much and never really though of the batteries leaking... I need to change them out, they have been in there for maybe 8 to 9 years and still work when I switch it on.

I would practice with your piece just as you would have it in self defense mode.

As to lasers, etc taking extra abuse when practicing?
If it can't take the abuse during practice I sure as heck wouldn't want it on when my life is in danger.

Only when I feel like abusing my Glock and putting it in dirt like the cheap plastic thing it is. Other than that I keep it on. The way I see it, if it can't handle the recoil of a .45 it doesn't belong on my gun.

I prefer to shoot with my light on the firearm. Most times, I remember to put my spare Streamlights in the pistol case to take along. But, I've been known to forget them also. So I experience both. Carrying, with my lights has yet to happen due to my not able to find a holster to suit my wants. Mainly due to carrying AIWB, or 4 o'clock. There are plenty of holsters from numerous designers, but I've never been one to buy/try/sell if it does not work, until I find one I like.

So, until I do find a holster, I do not pack with my lights on. They remain on my nightstand gun for the time being only.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top