JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you use the slide stop as a slilde release or overhand method?

• Total voters
and that is the reason for professionals teaching only the overhand technique. One technique that works for all guns and situations.
Professionals do not only teach the overhand technique. It is not all that great of technique for Walther style slide mounted safeties because it can inadvertently engage the safety. The slide release wins here.

I have medium palms and short fingers. I've also broken every finger at some point in my life, some of them twice, so my hands may be somewhat of an anomaly.

I can't reliably operate the slide stop to chamber a round in any of them. The 220 is 100% impossible for me. I don't have the leverage to get it to move.

The XD and 365 are doable, but require me to move the gun in my hand to do so. I find it easier and quicker to overhand it.

FWIW, I also swap the mag release to the right side of the gun (ala lefty) so I can operate it with my trigger finger. I get better leverage and faster actuation than having to shift the gun in my hand if I were to do it with my stubby, useless thumbs.
Sure you can, break your grip and rotate the pistol for a better purchase on the the release or use the support hand thumb as you insert the mag.

Professionals do not only teach the overhand technique. It is not all that great of technique for Walther style slide mounted safeties because it can inadvertently engage the safety. The slide release wins here.
The class I took taught only the overhand technique. Thunder ranch teaches the overhand technique, so does Gunsight. As far as I know two of the largest reputable training centers in the country. It works on slide mounted safeties but its a less than ideal design and requires attention to not activating the safety lever. I dont know how those places teach students to overcome slide mounted safeties so maybe they make an exception in those cases.

Last Edited:
The class I took taught only the overhand technique. Thunder ranch teaches the overhand technique, so does Gunsight. As far as I know two of the largest reputable training centers in the country. It works on slide mounted safeties but its a less than ideal design and requires attention to not activating the safety lever. I dont know how those places teach students to overcome slide mounted safeties so maybe they make an exception in those cases.
And this has been an issue with the Beretta M-9/92 series, overhanding them can trip the de-cocking lever and now you have a double action trigger again! It's also kinda hard to over hand as the Beretta has that skeletonized slide, not much to grasp, and while actually better when wearing gloves, not by much!

Every instructor I run with teaches using the slide stop...faster, more efficient.

Been using that method over 30 years, haven't worn out a stop yet.

In the end either will get the job done...not a hill worth dying or even arguing on.

Neither will get you 'kilt' on the street.

Pick one, stick with it...and become efficient.

Pick one, stick with it...and become efficient.
Eggzachary.

I worked at Gunsite a lifetime ago. Overhand (they called it slingshot) was the way of the Ed, Giles and Ed at the time. It's what I learned early. It's what I used in competition. It's what I used to teach others. It's what I continue to use.

I don't proclaim my method is better than anything else. It's just what works for me based on my needs and experience. Others' may differ. That's OK.

This is what I do, with or w/o front serrations...

Then you're not doing it the way Steve has taught you…! ;)

I've trained and used both methods in question, and have no problem with either, or with other methods shooters have developed that work. Between the two, my personal experience using a G19 has shown that the over-the-top is more reliable, but using the slide stop with the shooting hand is fastest. What's more important to you???

Last Edited:
Between the two, my personal experience has shown that the over-the-top is more reliable, but using the slide stop with the shooting hand is fastest. What's more important to you???
this sums it up to me. I think either is great as long as the person practices it then it works for them.

---

One thing Im wondering is why there is a technique discrepancy in whats taught between different training institutions? Seems like there would either be a consensus or instructors would teach the individual how to do their preferred choice individually? I think it adds to the confusion when one reputable training center teaches differently than another reputable training center.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top