JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could measure a stag lower for you. According to their website, everything DPMS style fits in their receivers, despite having a slant cut

Well now that I'm working on it more i noticed the carrier is binding as well in the buffer tube. Its either a dpms or Aero A2 buffer tube. And with no spring system in it if you charge the handle it starts to run a little and when you tilt the rifle barrel down to get it to come out, it wont on its own gravity you have to give it a shake up and down for encouragement.
All signs seem to pointing toward a bad lower imo. Not happy with 5D.

Well now that I'm working on it more i noticed the carrier is binding as well in the buffer tube. Its either a dpms or Aero A2 buffer tube. And with no spring system in it if you charge the handle it starts to run a little and when you tilt the rifle barrel down to get it to come out, it wont on its own gravity you have to give it a shake up and down for encouragement.
All signs seem to pointing toward a bad lower imo. Not happy with 5D.
some of that binding might be from hammer drag.
here is one print i have that may help you check your lower.
1630293077862.jpeg

Last Edited:
some of that binding might be from hammer drag.
here is one print i have that may help you check your lower.
View attachment 1021707
So assuming (b) is .250" wide (like the dpms patterns), then the dim. From the reference line (.775") which is the "deck" would be .650" which is kinda close.
Im fairly certain though these two the DPMS and AR10 use different pattern magazines. And therefore camlnt be used directly. But its nice to know for comparison. Nice print. I like it either way.

So i did take my magazines and try and shove them in PAST the catch and they do seat further fine at least a few hundredths of a inch by guesstimation, without hitting the BHO at all. So it could def sit higher.
Who knows if the feed lips would hit the carrier though.

Good point about the hammer drag. Thank you.

Not sure which if any work yet, but here's some measurements:
Noreen DPMS: 0.659 and 0.256
Tactical Machining DPMS: 0.667 and 0.267
5D DPMS: 0.651 and 0.260
80lowers DPMS: 0.660 and 0.252
80lowers SR-25/AR-10A: 0.660 and 0.252

My 5D is similar to everything else, so the 0.695 might be a machining error on that lower and not a deliberate design intention. As far as I know the magazines for the original military Armalite AR-10, current Armalite AR-10A, SR-25, and DPMS LR-308 are intended to be the same, they're just usually called "DPMS" because that's probably the most common standard at the moment.

Not sure which if any work yet, but here's some measurements:
Noreen DPMS: 0.659 and 0.256
Tactical Machining DPMS: 0.667 and 0.267
5D DPMS: 0.651 and 0.260
80lowers DPMS: 0.660 and 0.252
80lowers SR-25/AR-10A: 0.660 and 0.252

My 5D is similar to everything else, so the 0.695 might be a machining error on that lower and not a deliberate design intention. As far as I know the magazines for the original military Armalite AR-10, current Armalite AR-10A, SR-25, and DPMS LR-308 are intended to be the same, they're just usually called "DPMS" because that's probably the most common standard at the moment.
My DUDE! Thanks soo much for taking the time to measure all these and post them.
I REALLY appreciate it! This is exactly what i was looking for just never thought it would be from one source, even better!
I have already ripped off an email to 5D about 3 days ago I believe, explaining the situation and waiting to hear back from them. This just further backs up my hunch, and my case.

I'll update this as it goes. As I'm gearing up to buy the handguard and dies and brass needed for the 6.5 upper.

Small update, DDDDD is stepping up and sending out a replacement. Even though mine is several years old. I may fixed the old one as well. I had to solder a 316 stainless tab that happen to be exactly .035" (bingo!) Thick ontop of the mag catch/release. And had to relieve some material off the bottom. I still need to blue it, but it seems like it will work, hopefully well. I'll find out soon enough.

The info provided here really helped with the emails back and forth with them and im sure helped convince them that it was indeed faulty.
Also the fact that i work at a major mfgr might have helped as well. ;)

Apparently they changed the design of their lowers so ill be interested to scrutinize the new design features.

How did this all work out?
So far its actually working flawless now i got everything all blacked up again if you didnt know, youd think it was factory finish. I tried the Mark Lee gun blue on the steel.
Put at least 100rnds down range last outing without a hitch.

Need to work up some hand loads now, i just blew a massive wad on some wilson bushing dies and bushings and another carbide expander mandrel from Sinclair/Brownells.

Getting ready to finally assemble my Craddock 6.5CM upper now. Got all the peices and just ordered one of those Arken optics for it. I was trying to hold out for the EP series with the Jap. Glass, but they have the current ones $100 off with the discount code #GoBrandon till the end of December so i had to support them lol.

Thanks for asking. Sorry ive been away. Busy working graveyard and trying to finish reloading loads. Ill try and be by more often.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews