JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im skeptical of most of the manufactured ones that are affordable. I feel like there is some kind of logical rule like: portable, sturdy, cheap; pick two.
But I will ask anyways...

Does anyone know of any DIY portable shooting bench plans?

Im skeptical of most of the manufactured ones that are affordable. I feel like there is some kind of logical rule like: portable, sturdy, cheap; pick two.

There are some pretty nifty ones on YouTube that show how to lay out the cuts

EDIT: Like that one from @Howard1955 above

I was just looking at one of these, but wondering how stable it is?

I figured I would try it and if it wasn't stable enough to repurpose the sawhorse and build different legs. You could also possibly try two. Never got around to it because at teh time I couldn't find the sawhorses due to "supply chain" woes.

I figured I would try it and if it wasn't stable enough to repurpose the sawhorse and build different legs. You could also possibly try two. Never got around to it because at teh time I couldn't find the sawhorses due to "supply chain" woes.
I looked up that sawhorse its available on Amazon. I like the adjustable legs but am skeptical they arent wobbly, and the tabletop screwed to the single sawhorse in the middle doesnt seem like it would be stable either. Looks easy enough though.

I have one that's just a top with the cutouts and some threaded female mounts screwed to the bottom that galvanized pipe screws into. Easy as it gets and works great.

Same as slimmer 13. Took 1/2 inch ply, glued together for 1 inch. Cut the top shape. Then mounted some galv pipes for 3 legs. Cut to length desired. works like a champ. trickiest part was working a decent angle for the female couplings and what angle i wanted the pipe sticking out at,

Stable and easy storage,

Same as slimmer 13. Took 1/2 inch ply, glued together for 1 inch. Cut the top shape. Then mounted some galv pipes for 3 legs. Cut to length desired. works like a champ. trickiest part was working a decent angle for the female couplings and what angle i wanted the pipe sticking out at,

Stable and easy storage,
Can I get the threaded pipe and couplings at Home Depot? Do the couplings come welded at an angle?

I made one out of a single sheet of plywood, back when plywood was cheap.
I still have it, has held up well.
I can send pics, or plans if you like, or if you're ever in Vancouver, you can have it.
Exactly like the one above, without all the cool relief, lightning cuts.

Can I get the threaded pipe and couplings at Home Depot? Do the couplings come welded at an angle?
Picked up all supplies from home depot.
I couldnt find any angled couplings i liked. So used straight 90 degrees.

To get the angles, i cut some 4x6 blocks at then angle i wanted. Connected the blocks to the bottom of the plywood and attached coupling to those. Took several trys to get something i liked on that.

I do like the simplicity of the 3 section portable bench made with 4x4 legs as shown in the link PVO provided. (last one shown way down at bottom)

Except for different coupling attachment, this is what i built.

I tried to put together the most compact set-up I could come up with a couple of years ago. Everything but the rifles fits in the boxes. Ammo cans w/ammo in the bottom box adds a fair amount of ballast, plus tools and things I take out when I set up like the rest, stool, brass catcher, etc. The middle box that I remove from the stack has the spotting scope, tripods, chrony, targets, etc. Top box is optics. Surprisingly stable with the rifle rest locking into the box latch system, but its usually used only at 100 - 200yds.
Old pic for a general idea:
fm4FkDZl.jpg

I do like the simplicity of the 3 section portable bench made with 4x4 legs as shown in the link PVO provided. (last one shown way down at bottom)

Except for different coupling attachment, this is what i built.
yeah, these are the two designs that stand out to me most. I like the simplicity of both.

Mine is made from a plywood top and legs from a folding banquet table. I used wide legs in front and a narrow set in back. I got mint from old tables that had damaged tops, but you can get the legs at Home Depot. It would be easier to level if I had used only three legs but I carry wedge type door stops to level mine. It is very strong and stable, and folded can be carried in one hand. I have made several , but the one I still use has been in my garage for at least 25 years. no wobbles no problems. Its just the right hight to use a 5 gal bucket for a seat. DR

Man, I hate to admit it but I typically get by with a cheepee folding camp table and my 'shop junk' throw together rifle rest - HOWEVER I am working on a 'design' for a shooting bench that might be of some interest with those who shoot in remote areas such as the National Forest or similar areas.

If I pursue this idea, and actually make it to a 'prototype' I'll no doubt post pics for opinions!

IMG_1616.JPG

Last Edited:
Man, I hate to admit it but I typically get by with a cheepee folding camp table and my 'shop junk' throw together rifle rest
you get several bonus points for that shop junk rifle rest, thats just clever right there.

Ive been getting by for a long time on a cheap folding table and its wobbly. Some days, and depending on my mood I can make it work like I'm at a the gun club but more days especially if my mood is off the wobbly table is just one more distraction.

If I can find something I can build on the cheap thats portable I think it would make a huge improvement.

1652067620141.png

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads