JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I noticed this passage in the article posted above:

If you are merely using this water filter for daily drinking or emergency preparedness, the charcoal will last much, much longer. Between the two people in my household, we consume about 1 gallon of water per day (average) for drinking and cooking. This implies that the activated charcoal can last up to 16 years before I need to replace it!

I'm not sure it's a good idea to use activated carbon filters for a long period of time. <broken link removed> from Purdue University suggests that it's difficult to determine when they're shot, and they can be a breeding ground for bacteria.

AC filters have a limited lifetime. Eventually, the surface of the AC becomes filled with adsorbed pollutants, and no further treatment occurs. 'Break-through' takes place when pollutants break through the filter and emerge in the treated water. Contaminant concentrations in the treated water can possibly be even higher than those in the untreated water. The cartridge then needs to be replaced. Knowing when breakthrough will occur and when to replace the cartridge is a major problem with AC treatment.....

AC filters can be excellent places for bacteria to grow. A filter saturated with organic contaminants, or one that has not been used for a long time, provides ideal conditions for bacterial growth. A saturated filter supplies the food source for the bacteria. It is still unclear whether bacteria growing on the carbon pose a health threat. Some manufacturers place silver in the AC to prevent bacterial growth. The effectiveness of the silver has not been independently verified. In addition, the silver may contaminate the drinking water.

YMMV, and all of that, but I wouldn't push my luck with these types of filters. Most manufacturers recommend that you retire them after a certain period of time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top