Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DIY camping stove

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by jordanvraptor, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. of course my skeptical brain is telling me that if I had need of a stove, and I had immediate access to a bottle of rubbing alcohol, I probably could walk into the kitchen... On the flip side, if I was wanting to heat something I didn't want to put on the stove in the house this might be the ticket.

3. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I was thinking of accidents as he was using the knife. If you were in a SHTF situation, you, and everyone in your party, would need to be very careful about injuries and infections as medical help is probably not available.

You also have the issue of knocking the thing over and spreading flaming fuel everywhere. My opinion, the tuna can with paraffin and cardboard sounds like a much safer alternative, as it uses solid fuel, is self contained, and doesn't require cutting tools.

4. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like that one! I carry a Whitebox stove and bottles of HEET. I have made quite a few little stoves using the two can method. That one is pretty simple and has the ability to recover the unused fuel. I like it.

5. biker bo

biker bo Myrtle Creek Active Member

Just finished making one. Works great.

6. HenryJ

Pics!...or it never happened. ;)

7. Dalan

Dalan Western Oregon New Member

Wood gas camp stoves are very easy to make from various size tin cans, and require no fuel. They run off small sticks of wood and boil water efficiently. Enter wood gas stove on a search.

8. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie Albany Well-Known Member

arent they also known as "rocket stoves"? I find that simply hanging a piece of metal mess can with wire handle over an open fire to be a simple way of boiling water or making stew...'corse, the whole burning your hand on the hot handle might make the night not good... I've also put a piece of grating on top of an open fire, and put my canteen cup over the fire...with handles out; and if I needed to cool the handle; I just pour water from the melted ice in the cooler onto it.

9. HenryJ

Sticks and twigs may not be an option in snow covered desert. Bringing your own fuel is the only answer. A couple bottles of HEET, or rubbing alcohol is pretty easy to carry.
    Base your kit on the terrain you frequent. :)

10. moncon

moncon willamette valley oregon Member

The more methods you know the better equipped you are in case of emergency. Right now I can go put a cup in the microwave and get hot water, but you never know what the future will bring. Be prepared for most anything

pakrat57 and (deleted member) like this.