JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting how stuff works out from your list the only cross over with my list is:
22LR
223/5.56 (My son runs this in a bolt gun)
.380 (also my sons)
9mm
.38spl.
.45ACP
I did forget a few. My dad bought me my first deer and elk rifle (Savage 99 takedown) in 303 Savage, and I still have that as well as dies and ammo. Possibly a few other oddballs in the collection. Buy 2-3 a year and multiply that by decades and this is what can happen.

In my defense, I can quit any time.

I like the idea of being able to shoot a few different calibers. Not that I plan for anything crazy, but the idea agrees with me that if I find some random box of ammo, there is a good chance I'll be able to put it to good use. I have an affinity with guns that can easily switch between calibers as well. Take a glock g23 for example; it can easily shoot 40sw, 9mm, .357sig and a few other odd balls. And, if you have the conversion slide then, .22lr as well.

On top of that, shooting is mainly a hobby for me. I rarely hunt, and besides my carry gun, I really only shoot for fun. Variety is the spice of life, and the more calibers/guns, the merrier.

I don't intend to start a "who's most diversified" contest, but, among the many common caliber rifle/handgun rounds there are a couple few that probably make me diversified.
284 Win
41 Win Mag
257 Roberts (borderline)

284 Win
41 Win Mag
257 Roberts (borderline)
Those are winners if it's a contest I reckon. The only real oddballs I have are that 303 Sav and maybe the 7.62x25, maybe. But a lot of the ones on my list are one gun calibers, guns I have for historical reasons or that in some cases I got as part of an estate liquidation.

The ones I am more serious or whatever about are in pretty common chamberings.

I like diversification for the enjoyment of having many types of firearms, but I limit calibers due to the practicalities of preparedness and buying/storing reloading supplies in bulk... Common caliber ammunition will also serve a dual purpose for bartering if SHTF.

I keep the most commercially available calibers on hand (9, 40, 45, 38, 357, 5.56/223, 12 ga) along with firearms to use them.
I briefly forayed into 5.7 and 22TCM but, while fun, l didn't see much of a future for us together. Ditto 40AE, 357SiG, 454Casull, 45Colt, 50AE, 460Rowland, 41Mag, and probably a few others l felt l needed at the time but eventually cut loose and went back to basics.
The ones listed in the 1st sentence are staples, generally easy to find. If the wife and l were shopping I'd always veer off and usually come back w a couple of boxes that were on sale... with those common chamberings there's almost always something on sale. Or, as we say in 2020... available.

"Don't you have enough ammo?"
"It's on sale"
"Did you really need more ammo?"
"Uuuhhh... yeah"
Bless her heart

I have a TC encore barrel for 22TCM. (I have tried the glock conversion kits)I think it shows promise as a low recoil rifle round. With a single shot and loading dies I am set pretty well. I don't have as many calibers as some. And some oddballs I only have a lower inventory. (7.62 nagant comes to mind) I also do not keep my usual minimum of some of the other more novelty cartridges. But most of those I have sufficient components of.

I have 36 guns in these calibers
45-70
30-06
30-30
12 ga
20 ga
410 ga
10mm
40 sw
45 A cp
9mm
25 auto
23 of the 36 are 22 rifles:)
What ya got somethin against 357/38/32acp/32L/ 32mag/ 243/ 22-250/ 308/ 300wm/ 30carb./ 50bmg/ 45lc/ 44m/ 22mag/ 17hmr. Note: I'm diversified.......even have all but two on your list.

I like the idea of one platform so that you don';t have to remember to flip the safety on this one but not that one. The Heretic upthread can grab his P226, his P220 or P229 and they operate IDENTICAL. if he had a 1911 then that is a different skill set to operate, and if you train your muscle memory for one and grab the other one in an emergency: bad juju could happen.

The additional problem one has with additional calibers is the chance that you would load it incorrectly. If the Heretic bought a 10mm Sig P220 and grabbed it and headed out the door with a box of .45 cal, I could see that being an issue. In fact, people occasionally stuff the wrong ammo into their firearms all too often with disastrous results. Folks can say: "well that would never happen to me", but strange stuff can and does occur and some of those folks say "I didn't believe that would ever happen to me". Reducing calibers will minimize that issue.

Handgun:
9mm

Rifle
.308/7.62

Shotgun
12ga

Stacked deep (much too deep for some calibers)

Yes - cartridges can be mixed up. The most likely mix up in my SIG setup is 9x19 and .40; it has happened to some people.

My setup if SHTF will be to be using 5.7x28 Five Seven Pistols and PS90 rifles. With 10K of ammo for three people, that should last a while.

If the 5.7 guns/ammo are depleted, then I would issue .40 SIGs and ammo, but not 9x19. Only if we run out of the 7K rounds of .40 ammo will 9x19 then be issued. Unlikely to happen, but certainly possible.

Generally, it will be three persons that this setup gets issued to.

However, it is also possible that I may need to issue firearms and ammo to family/neighbors. In that case, it will depend on what other firearms and ammo that these other people bring to the mix. Entirely likely that they would have 9x19 guns and ammo.

I am thinking that people would be paired up according to skill/etc., and makeup "fire teams". As much as possible each of these teams would have the same firearms and ammo within the team itself. E.G., since there could be a fire team of three persons, and they could be armed with the three SIG 227s I have in .45 ACP - that might be my cousin and her family (e.g., one is an NCIS agent, her spouse is a Marine and they have a tween son and daughter). I also have a nephew that is close geographically, and he has a stepson that is in the Army (or was, not sure about now).

I have a neighbor with two sons who shoot - he was in the Army. Not sure if that family would need guns or ammo - he may have plenty.

It just depends on the situation. But yes, I try to be consistent while also having some diversification of a sort. I kept that in mind when buying guns and ammo. I have several layers of side arms and long guns to use, both for myself and kids, and for others.

"and if you train your muscle memory for one and grab the other one in an emergency: bad juju could happen."

Makes the case for the handgun next to my bed being a single action revolver: My lizard brain can operate it.

I'm diversified based on reloading components. They all share a similar component in one way, shape or form.

9mm shares primers with .40, .45 shares primers with .44Mag, .40 shares primers with .38/.357, 22-250 shares primers with 308/6.5 and bullets with .223, .300 savage shares bullets and primers/powder with .308.

One big happy family style orgy.

Speaking of .45, I need to clear out the supplies and dies from that caliber since I don't own one anymore.

I have 36 guns in these calibers
45-70
30-06
30-30
12 ga
20 ga
410 ga
10mm
40 sw
45 A cp
9mm
25 auto
23 of the 36 are 22 rifles:)
Oh yeah, I forgot the 30-30 and the 45-70 - my bad. The 30-30 is the deer rifle dad bought my younger brother right before his first legal season, a few years after my Sav 99, and the 45-70 is my shiny new Marlin.

That 30-30 is also a Marlin but it's stamped Western Auto ;)

"In my defense, I can quit any time."

"Sure ya can. The shakes and pink elephant dreams go away after awhile."

The pink elephants in my withdrawal fever dreams are alway armed and look like this:
images.jpeg.jpg
... l jump off that wagon most ricky-tick and resume my regularly scheduled program with the utmost alacrity.
I can live with some shakes, but you DON'T want that in your head. EVER.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top