JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't tried this. But here's some theoretical considerations. Point of aim in vertical direction is affected by recoil. Recoil can be affected by how you hold the gun. When you shoot with gun supported versus not, you may change your grip, and this can affect recoil, which effects point of impact. From those facts, I would infer that changing what you're supporting the gun with might also affect your grip, hence recoil. Whether this matters or not is going to depend on many things, such as if this is a heavy rifle versus a handgun, and whether you consciously try to use the same grip when the gun is resting on something as when shot offhand. And even what particular ammo you shoot might affect the answer, as it affects how long it takes the bullet to exit the barrel, which affects how much the gun moves from the recoil. So you might see a difference with some ammo and not others.

Basically, I think you're just gonna hafta try it with the gun and loads you care about and see what happens. And if you do see a change in point of aim, perhaps focus on trying to hold the gun the same with both supports.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews